Any experience with the sherlock? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any experience with the sherlock?

Hey guys,
I'm thinking about picking up last years Burton sherlock for 30% off. I have heard great things about the board and also some negatives. After searching around the forum for a while I could only find some for sale a few occasional mentions. Any first hand experience you could share would be beneficial.
BTW I'm 5'9 170 pounds, ride mostly groomers and some natural stuff on the sides, not much park, maybe some jumps.

thanks,
bostonboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

I found the Sherlock to be a complete noodle and a sloppy mess on ice or groomers. It seemed to mellow out and stabilize once I was at a decent speed or up on edge. Even then - edge hold and stability overall were never there IMO. I rode this board one day last year when the Sherlock first came out. It was early season and less than ideal conditions so I'm no expert here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonboarder View Post
Hey guys,
5'9 170 pounds, ride mostly groomers and some natural stuff on the sides, not much park, maybe some jumps.
They call this an "all-mountain" board but considering its soft flex and catch-free Flying V shape it's more of a park board in my world. The Sherlock is an "all mountain" board because it's not really great at anything.
SnowSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowSource View Post
I found the Sherlock to be a complete noodle and a sloppy mess on ice or groomers. .
thanks, That seems to be the general consensus that ice and hardpack is a challenge for this board.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Frostbite edges don't do shit on ice, one of the bad things about Burton in my opinion
Aznglfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hey anyone remember when you didn't need bumps to get through ice?

The Sherlock is rad and quite possibly the best the B has out right now. It's most at home in the deep snow, but still rad everywhere.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think the sherlock is a decent board. I rode one at the end of last year and didn't care for the grab as well, but it was decent. I did get to ride a board with flying v this year and liked it better, it was a process. I'm not sure if it was that much better on the board overall or just the changes on the flying v. We asked the burton rep about the flying v and he said they changed it up this year. They reinforced it more so it is holding better and not as sloppy. Just food for thought. I heard a lot of bad things about flying v last year and that is probably why they changed it.
volboy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowSource View Post
I found the Sherlock to be a complete noodle and a sloppy mess on ice or groomers. It seemed to mellow out and stabilize once I was at a decent speed or up on edge. Even then - edge hold and stability overall were never there IMO. I rode this board one day last year when the Sherlock first came out. It was early season and less than ideal conditions so I'm no expert here.

They call this an "all-mountain" board but considering its soft flex and catch-free Flying V shape it's more of a park board in my world. The Sherlock is an "all mountain" board because it's not really great at anything.
Sherlock a noodle? Are you sure it just didn't feel looser because of the camber profile?

From everything I've heard, the Sherlock is one of the better boards the big B has right now. I'd love to get on one, but haven't had a chance yet.
DrnknZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is exactly what I've been hearing, all the split opinions. It depends what other board your used to I guess. I'm coming from a camber beginner board, like a 2 on a 1- 10 scale for stiffness.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sound like me and you are similar rider. I am 5'9 160 lbs and have a sherlock 158W as one of my boards. In my opinion, this is not a one board that can do all. The different opinions come from the conditions the board was riden. I rent this board before I purchased it in awesome conditions. As you know, this is not the board for hard pack. I get not enjoyment riding after 3pm at all resorts here in Colorado. Now deep snow is where this thing is almost unmatched. It floats effortlessly and changes direction on a dime. But do not buy this for groomers.
jamesdthomas2 is offline   Reply With Quote