Handcrafted or Machined - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Handcrafted or Machined

Whats up fellow riders!

I have a question for the seasoned riders... Hand crafted boards or big businses machined boards.

Be honest I am simply trying to prove a point
LiveToRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveToRide View Post
Whats up fellow riders!

I have a question for the seasoned riders... Hand crafted boards or big businses machined boards.

Be honest I am simply trying to prove a point
i prefer boards made in america by smaller brands. gives me a sense of national pride. they do tend to not be quite as reliable but they are my favorites! Signal and Lib Tech for example; made in the USA by american hands.

I like the sense that a human who loves snowboarding as much as I do has built the board I ride, not some machine.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You can't make a board without a press right?

But anyway. Whichever board works best. I look at a few companies I prefer first and see if there is one that will work, but after that I just go with what I am looking for.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't think many companies will build, plane, shape their wood core by hand... It's all CNC machinery. As for the layering up of the board I don't think it is done by a machine anywhere. I think it is done by hand both in USA and say, China.

I think it has more to do with the quality of the material used vs. the person who does the job.
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would say almost all boards are big business machined boards". Just some are bigger business than others. I'm not an expert on how boards are made, but Id bet that even the "hand crafted" boards use machines for 80% of the work.

My last two boards were GNU and Lib Tech, and I like the fact they are made in my state, but I don't have any delusions that I ride a truly hand crafted board.

But if Im really being honest with myself, the unicorn piss is the real reason I bought a Lib.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty34 View Post
But if Im really being honest with myself, the unicorn piss is the real reason I bought a Lib.

to add, it is true that no board is really fully hand made anymore. they surely aren't using vaccuum cold presses like SIMS and terry kidwell did back in the day . anyways like I said before, i like a board that i know a snowboarder made, and that he or she would ride that board. it makes it that little bit more special.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was just curious Im seriously considering starting my own company to build boards, I am trying to put out feelers for what the market basis would be. I have a solid amount of experience building surf boards and working with fiberglass kevlar and carbon... So do yall think rather than drive home the fact that they are handcrafted (yes there is a diffrence limited tooling involved. I should drive home that I build these boards in my garage with a small group of friends? dont get much more american than that ha
LiveToRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveToRide View Post
I was just curious Im seriously considering starting my own company to build boards, I am trying to put out feelers for what the market basis would be. I have a solid amount of experience building surf boards and working with fiberglass kevlar and carbon... So do yall think rather than drive home the fact that they are handcrafted (yes there is a diffrence limited tooling involved. I should drive home that I build these boards in my garage with a small group of friends? dont get much more american than that ha
Drive home both of those facts! Handcrafted items appeal to a lot of people, especially if they know where the product is coming from and they can get it right from the source. I went to the Lib Tech factory and picked up my board, and the guy who gave me it said it was finished being built only a day before i picked it up. Made me feel like a pro
Old 12-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's gonna be really hard. If you do start becoming larger you would have to pick a manufacturing place, or whatever you wanna call it, and there are only a few in the U.S. Unless you wanna spend a shit ton of moeny and buy presses for yourself and everything else. I encourage you, but remember a lot of the companies we call corporations today started out just like you and got sucked in.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
I encourage you, but remember a lot of the companies we call corporations today started out just like you and got sucked in.
Getting "$ucked in" would be pretty $weet!
Jeb is offline   Reply With Quote