Which would you prefer on chop/ice conditions...grip or damping - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which would you prefer on chop/ice conditions...grip or damping

I was in a discussion with a buddy in regards to hard charging a groomer when it's just chop,crud and ice. We both agreed the fear (at least in us) is the board jumping around which can cause the catching of an edge more easily. So the discussion moved to different decks and the topic of one deck having great grip with decent damping vs great damping with decent edge hold.

So which would be better in the chop,crud, ice in terms of the deck not getting thrown around and slipping right under you? Greater grip or greater damping?
EC99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I you are bombing down on icy conditions, chances are you wont notice the ice much at all. Yes, you would need some amount of dampness on choppy conditions but once again if you're bombing down it would be hardly noticeable. Skill would factor in. On a side note, I never feel too confident bombing with a banana board but I can do it all day, any condition on my Smokin with a mellower Magnetraction. My smokin board has a bit better dampness though. My omatic board I am actually more confident with it on faster speeds than taking it slow on icy conditions.
earl_je is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Skill aside, dampening is more important, as grip is relative to skill? Not sure.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For me, dampening makes a huge difference. My Gnu B-street had little dampening and it threw me all over the place. It was really hard to stay upright in any kind of chop. My current Never Summer Pandora is far more stable.

Of course, chop can be hard for me because I never seem to bend my knees enough, so I'm sure a rider with good technique would say that dampening and edges don't matter - the rider does.

Blah blah blah, give me my dampening and vario grip, please!
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote