Second snowboard, Burton Sherlock >> Custom X (switching from Flying V to Camber) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Question Second snowboard, Burton Sherlock >> Custom X (switching from Flying V to Camber)

Hello,

I have a Burton Sherlock'11 and I think I really like this snowboard. But this year I'm thinking about buying a second snowboard set (mb because I'll go to Alps for a week and I want everything from this trip). As you know, Sherlock has Camber-Rocker-Camber structure. So, I thought may be I should try some pure camber? My choise was Burton Custom X'12. But then I read some posts on this forum about camber snowboards. In short, there is an opinion, that modern rocker designed bords (like sherlock) have all the advantages of camber and rocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
If you go from a camber to a rocker-camber-rocker, you will hardly tell any difference other than the board floats so much better in powder and is better for trees, moguls, sun cups etc. If you go from camber to camber-rocker-camber you will notice how "pivoty" the board feels and this will at first make you a bit nervous. Once you learn to trust this, you can really cut loose on a lot of things that you dared not on a cambered board.
As I see from this post, there are no disadvantages in modern rocker boards at all

What I expect from camber (Custom X):
1) Less looseness
2) Not forgiving
3) Whole new experience
4) Better behaviour than sherlock in some situations.
5) All that's stated above is gonna make me ride better (some kind of a progress)

I plan to use Custom X on icy days, kickers (NO rails and so on), halfpipe (I didn't ride it but I hope I will), when I want some carve, may be something else.
I plan to leave Sherlock for use on rails, when I want a playful ride, on a pow, mb something else.
As for $, it's not a disaster for me to buy a new set, but I'm not a millionaire and I don't want to waste money without any feedback from the equipment.

SO

Should I even buy a Custom X, if there are such reviews on camber (Incidentally, I didn't see bad reviews on Custom X)? Will it be a new experience and so on?
What do you think?

Thank you!

PS Sorry for mistakes, english's not my primary language.
STr1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Yes, camber will make you better if you are not already an expert. A custom X is a stiffer board, but not the stiffest out there.

FInd a used cambered board that is the right size and try it out. There are SO many great boards out there. Custom X is another great one.

I have a 2008 164 custom X, 3 hole pattern, made in Vermont....rad board.

You did not mention any sizes or your own stats.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

My weight is about 60kg (about 132lbs). Now I ride 154 Sherlock. Looking for a 152 Custom X (don't like design in 156).

Only one season of snowboarding is behind me. But according to my own feelings and some other people's opinion, I progress good (thx to this forum). I like to learn something new every ride. Ride without any new experience is a bad ride.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I went through this same debate a while ago. I live in Ontario, have a Sherlock for snowy days and trips out west, and a vapor for harder snow and icy conditions.

The rockered boards rule in soft snow and powder but on harder or groomed snow camber is way better. The variations on combinations of rocker and camber help, as does some of the new edge variations, but if you are ok with two boards life is easy. Sherlock if soft snow, cambered board otherwise.

Ride a cambered board before you buy one of course, but in my opinion here is a world of difference, rocker camber rocker in the sherlock is sketchy in hardback/ice, bugs me (and I really love my Sherlock), whereas the cambered board tracks and carves very well, solid feel to it.

Lamps

Last edited by Lamps; 12-22-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Also to consider, the Custom X has a more shallow sidecut compared to the DEEP sidecut of the SHerlock. CX for super fast, much longer turns, SHerlock, turns fast.

I don't agree that Flying V is sketchy on hardpack, just different. The 2012 flying V has some extra edge under the bindings, more "grip".
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Pow View Post
Also to consider, the Custom X has a more shallow sidecut compared to the DEEP sidecut of the SHerlock. CX for super fast, much longer turns, SHerlock, turns fast.

I don't agree that Flying V is sketchy on hardpack, just different. The 2012 flying V has some extra edge under the bindings, more "grip".
I don't think they had the V worked out fully in 2011; it might be better now. Good point about the deep sidecuts, which is part of what makes the Sherlock fun.

I find that as the snow fades towards icy conditions the camber board's grip becomes more apparent. Original poster already has the '11 Sherlock, same as I do, so unless he flips the board, that's what he's got.. He should def demo a cambered board in non-ideal conditions, I think he'll find it handles ice better, and is of course a very different riding experience, stiff, fast carving etc.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

any other opinions? (:
Old 12-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I own both board and here is my take. If you like the 11 sherlock, you will like the 12 custom x. They custom x has slightly more grip because of the slight camber shape. Although Burton says the flex of custom is 7. I thinks its a 5.5 compared to the sherlock (5). Overall I don't think the change is significant to purchase the custom x when you already have the sherlock. I can rip better with my twin which is much stiffer and a more agressive camber. I would look for a stiffer board to rip with. But there again, it depends on your riding style. My twin is not forgiving but it can stop on a dime and cut through the hardest packed snow.

Question for you. During the day the sherlock rides very well. Every day at about 3 pm when the snow hardens, I experience many washouts (edges loose traction). Do you experience this same thing, if so how do you compensate?
jamesdthomas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STr1t View Post
any other opinions? (:
I wrote a mini version on my take on this board in another thread. Let me sum it all up.
I came to this board as a determined beginner/intermediate who wanted to ride hard. My experience prior to the board was approx. 7 days on the snow in total with rental equipment. I had already learned to do carves though most of it has been, admittedly, skid carves and no dynamics.
I got serious and went for a board that was aggressive which will force me to get GOOD.
Hereís what I have to say: You WILL EAT IT in the beginning- no doubt. It will get the best of you. This board is naturally FAST so you will have to learn to control it or it will control YOU. The stability at high speeds is amazing, because of that, bombing something more than 45 degree wonít be that scary. It slices through the snow like a hot knife on butter. Your carves and dynamics will improve.
I canít comment on using this board at the park just yet. I havenít tried it, but it does have a very nice pop to it!
My word is, this board is amazing. Highly recommended. My next board is the Never Summer raptor.
facewashwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdthomas2 View Post
Question for you. During the day the sherlock rides very well. Every day at about 3 pm when the snow hardens, I experience many washouts (edges loose traction). Do you experience this same thing, if so how do you compensate?
Thank you for your reply!
I haven't started season in Moscow yet, but here is my experience from the last season:
Yes, I experienced washouts you are talking about. It was both on a veery stiff hardpack and the slush snow. I've figured out that extending legs more in the middle of the carve turn helps to make more pressure on the edge so it doesn't washout so much. But really, I haven't enough time to test the possible resolutions to this problem. I plan to start season this week, if I experience washouts I'll write here.

Everyone thanks for posting!