2012 Never Summer SL...not as fun as my Slayblade - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

You have to buy the right size board to do a proper evaluation! With your height and foot size, you should be on a 153. There is a significant difference in waist width between a 153 and 155. This difference is what accounts for your lack of nimbleness in turn initiation and edge to edge response. I am your size and have ridden both lengths. The NS SL does not shine in icy conditions. If you ride firm snow most of the time, a hybrid camber board or a Mervin C2 Btx board might be a better fit. Look for a board that has a waist width less than 25.0. You'll be a much happy camper.
P3 Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesson View Post
I haven't ridden the SL or any NS board for that matter but I've had the same issues as you with the rocker-camber boards I have ridden. I enjoy the low speed playfulness and the pop of the cambered tips but I never feel comfortable flat basing at high speeds. I think I'm too light (160lb.) to keep the board pressed into the snow and that nose always wants to lift and it feels like it's going to catch when it comes back down. Next RC board I try I will be downsizing from my usual 155-157 to a 152-154 to see if bringing the camber nearer my feet affords me more control. I'm also going to be looking for something with a little softer flex so that I'll hopefully be able to manipulate the board better with my limited poundage.

Just got my first flat camber board, a nitro rook, so I'm exited to try that profile out to see if it's more stable when flat basing.
Good to see I wasn't imagining things about the flat-basing issues. Funny thing was that exiting the lift the board didn't feel squirelly at all like I expected. At moderate to higher-speeds there was a tendency of the SL to always want to be on edge (subconsciously maybe I needed to be on edge to maintain stability when flat-basing). I was riding it with Salomon Relay XLT bindings which are pretty responsive too. Other thoughts was that I didn't notice the board being catchy at all though even with the 90 degree factory tuning as other reviews have stated.

Like some other posters said, maybe it was just me shaking off early-season rust so my intial thoughts aren't truly representative of the board's performance...
GeoFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3 Mammoth View Post
You have to buy the right size board to do a proper evaluation! With your height and foot size, you should be on a 153. There is a significant difference in waist width between a 153 and 155. This difference is what accounts for your lack of nimbleness in turn initiation and edge to edge response. I am your size and have ridden both lengths. The NS SL does not shine in icy conditions. If you ride firm snow most of the time, a hybrid camber board or a Mervin C2 Btx board might be a better fit. Look for a board that has a waist width less than 25.0. You'll be a much happy camper.
I was wondering about the waist width when first researching the SL and based on Snowolf's review of the 158 Heritage (with a waist width of 25.4cm and his size 8.5 feet). I asked him if he thought the the board was too wide and he replied that the ultra-responsiveness of the camber sections in the RC tech was well suited for smaller-footed riders even at those widths. The SL has a 25.2cm waist width (for comparison, my Slayblade 153 has a 24.8cm ww). Other reviews of the NS men's boards (by Shayboarder who has smaller feet than myself) never mentioned the WW being an issue.

Another reason for going to a 155 board (and thus wider width) is that I generally ride in big-mountain resorts with more pow so that should be better than the 153 with respect to floatability.

Last edited by GeoFX; 12-23-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'll back you up Geo. I have demoed a lot of stuff. A LOT. I could offer a lot better options than the SL. The SL failed for me. The Evo and Heritage were much better in their respective categories.

I doubt I ever own a Never Summer. Just seems to me, if you are avoiding the one board quiver option, there are boards that are better in each category.

The SL is a damp, I thought stable board (I have ridden a lot of RC type boards). However, it is so plank like, that it just doesn't have the fun and snap of other boards in their category. Plain and simple, unless you are a beginner, ride the SL and then ride the Coda from Arbor. Tell me which board you liked better without lying. I think newer riders love the SL because it is definitely more damp and stable at speed than the Coda. But the Coda has way more response edge to edge, the grip tech is better edge technology, and the snap and pop is on another planet compared to the SL. But for a beginner to advanced beginner borderlining on intermediate, I get it. For good enough riders, the little extra chatter at speed doesn't bother you.

Prime example, I own a Capita Ultrafear. I read the reviews. People said it lacked some stability at speed. I can b line the mountain and the little extra chatter vs the Evo isn't enough to make me switch to an Evo for a less responsive deck.

If you want a quiver killer, the SL is great. Damp and stable to make ANYONE comfortable bombing. But if you are willing to buy a couple boards, get something that is excellent in certain categories, and weaker in other categories, and become a better rider so that issues of dampness and stability mean less to you because that little extra chatter when bombing no longer scares you.

Even as a one board quiver killer, I can think of boards right now that are better than the SL. The Arbor Coda, the Lib Tech TRS, the Forum Double Dog Destroyer (fun board, little dampness, and edge hold is weaker, but the snap and responsiveness are worth it if you can ride well), K2 Turbo Dream, Ride Machete, the list goes on.....
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hey man to each his own , allot of people I know SWEAR by NeverSummer boards but I rode a couple(SL and Heritage) after riding 2 Burton T6's for 4 years and I just wasn't feeling it. Their awesome boards no doubt but no one board is for everyone. I am a huge fan of K2 equipment but with that said I think my next board is gonna be a Nidecker or Saloman.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks Nolefan. With respect to damping, I thought the Slayblade was actually more damp and stable than the SL. I don't think any amount of early-season rust can account for that observation (unlike my turn initiation thoughts).
Old 12-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

It probably is. And I haven't ridden a Slayblade. I actually didn't ride the Turbo Dream with Harshmellow. I rode the model the year before without it.

You are spot on with turn initiation. I have found in every category, that you can find boards with quicker turn initiations than the Never Summer option. My favorite board of theirs is the Heritage, which I would consider buying, but the responsiveness is something that always holds me back. Ride a Jamie Lynn the next day, and compare. It's scary....
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoFX View Post
Good to see I wasn't imagining things about the flat-basing issues.
I just posted this in another thread:

"I caught an edge at Hunter Mountain on Monday and must have been going about the same speed. I was flat basing it somewhere at the midpoint of the trail (Belt Parkway for those familiar). Board got squirrelly underfoot as I rode over some ice. Pretty sure I caught my front edge, it happened so fast. But, I hit my face on the ice/snow before I could react and proceeded to flip head over heels 2 times. Racking my head both times...well my face was the first time. I have a bruise on the bridge of my nose and my neck it just barely soar. I made it out pretty good considering. I think it helped that my body ragdolled and I didn't try to stop myself."

I was riding my NS Premier for the second time and definitely noticed some squirrelliness when flatbasing. Won't be doing that again.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Would be curious to get more experienced opinions but I would assume a reg camber or Flat\0 camber is always going to be better for flat base riding than anything reverse camber.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
I'll back you up Geo. I have demoed a lot of stuff. A LOT. I could offer a lot better options than the SL. The SL failed for me. The Evo and Heritage were much better in their respective categories.
how long do you typically demo a board? a couple runs? half a day? depends on how busy they are?
idshred is offline   Reply With Quote