2012 Never Summer SL...not as fun as my Slayblade - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2012 Never Summer SL...not as fun as my Slayblade

Well, I had my first riding experience with my 2012 Never Summer SL 155 at Mt. Charleston (Las Vegas) the past couple days. My old board for comparison is a 2009 K2 Slayblade with their Flatline tech (zero camber). I'm 5'7", 165lbs, with size 7.5 boots. Anyway, I had pretty high hopes for it considering the accolades on the site in addition to it being my first exposure to the RC tech. Compared to the Slayblade, I found it to be a lot more squirelly flat-basing (which I expected) and a little harder to turn (which I didn't considering the RC tech). Granted, I was coming from a 153 to 155 size so the bigger size could've accounted for the turning issues but it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Snow conditions were packed powder and I was mainly riding on the groomers and doing tree runs(slow-speed, tight-turns).

I was definitely missing the flat-base stability of the Slayblade. It seemed like the SL wanted to be on edge constantly. Turn initiation also seemed easier with the Slayblade as well. The damping of the SL was also noticeably less than that of the Slayblade (guess the Harshmellow really does make a differnce!).

Just posing a question to other board members whether a couple days of riding is enough to make a fair judgement on the SL and the RC tech? Anyone else compared a zero camber board with the NS RC board and had a similar experience?
GeoFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 01:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

I Have never rode the slayblade, I rode a 157 Darkstar before my 155 SL both were awesome boards but I love my SL has been able to handle everything I have thrown at it so far from jumps through to ice, powder and tight tree turns. Don't really know what you mean by you find the turn initiation harder seeing as I can not compare it to the slapyblade but am able to turn my SL with the slightest of ease maybe you just need some more time on it but I knew from my first run on it that I loved it.
mitch19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah the slower turn initiation of the SL kinda surprised me considering the center rocker and deep sidecut of the camber sections that it possesses. I can only describe that the Slayblade was more responsive than the SL at the instant where i first bend my front leg to engage the toe-side edge.

I wonder if the SL needs to be more on edge during turning (i.e., at a higher angle)? The Slayblade just seems so responsive given that the zero camber allows the whole edge to engage at once it seems.

I'll give the SL another go at Winter Park late January so see if I just need to dial it in more...
Old 12-23-2011, 02:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Nah... 2012 SL 155 is utter crap. Terrible edgehold, noodle-ly and washes out every turn... you should put it up on Ebay ($100 starting bid, no reserve, 1 day auction) and get rid of it.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Heh...I knew I was gonna catch some flak from the people around here for daring to say anything negative about a Never Summer. In all honesty, I just felt that the Slayblade does outperform the SL in turning and stability given my first couple of days on the SL, which to me equals more fun for my riding style.

I won't question the superb build quality of the SL, however, as I ran over some tree roots that were sticking out and rocks with no noticeable scratches in the base at all.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Nah... 2012 SL 155 is utter crap. Terrible edgehold, noodle-ly and washes out every turn... you should put it up on Ebay ($100 starting bid, no reserve, 1 day auction) and get rid of it.
i agree. and make sure you let us know when your putting it up.

In all seriousness though, I think everyone should account when testing out a new board the first day of the season after 2 riding the same board for 2 years that it WILL feel different. I am very comfortable in my riding but my first day out riding every season is defiantly a little shaky compared to a mid season ride.
l burke l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoFX View Post
Heh...I knew I was gonna catch some flak from the people around here for daring to say anything negative about a Never Summer. In all honesty, I just felt that the Slayblade does outperform the SL in turning and stability given my first couple of days on the SL, which to me equals more fun for my riding style.

I won't question the superb build quality of the SL, however, as I ran over some tree roots that were sticking out and rocks with no noticeable scratches in the base at all.
I didn't end up riding the Slayblade (have ridden the Parkstar and Fastplant and an last two Jibpan models). I didn't find the harshmellow in the 2009 Jibpan as damp as the SL myself. I can understand the squirreliness flat-basing the SL coming off the lift as that's how rocker boards ride (the 1st gen BTX were way worse), I never found it an issue with both feet strapped in and at speed though. I never found the 2009 or the 2012 SL to be difficult to initiate a turn though (and I'm lighter than you) ... maybe the shorter Slayblade was torsionally softer (requires less input to initiate the turn).

Seriously though, I happen to like NS boards and know they are top-quality boards... but their aren't made of rainbows and cocaine that will instantly make you an amazing pro rider (and it is totally possible that the board is not what you like). I read too many un-objective reviews from people that just over-hype Never Summer boards... pretty much every board review here is way over the top to "arouse excitement" in the luddites.

Don't come here to try to rationalize what you feel... just ride it more, ... and if you still don't like it... try a different board (after selling me yours for half off).
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

I just bought a Proto ct for this season, hands down the best board i have ever ridden.
oskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

I was disappointed with my NS SL to be honest but over time I have come to respect it as a weapon in bad and icy snow conditions. I have confidence in that board that I would never have in a full rocker board.
ETM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

I haven't ridden the SL or any NS board for that matter but I've had the same issues as you with the rocker-camber boards I have ridden. I enjoy the low speed playfulness and the pop of the cambered tips but I never feel comfortable flat basing at high speeds. I think I'm too light (160lb.) to keep the board pressed into the snow and that nose always wants to lift and it feels like it's going to catch when it comes back down. Next RC board I try I will be downsizing from my usual 155-157 to a 152-154 to see if bringing the camber nearer my feet affords me more control. I'm also going to be looking for something with a little softer flex so that I'll hopefully be able to manipulate the board better with my limited poundage.

Just got my first flat camber board, a nitro rook, so I'm exited to try that profile out to see if it's more stable when flat basing.
Kesson is offline   Reply With Quote