wax guru- question for you... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default wax guru- question for you...

i just rode my new 2012 gnu riders choice. awesome board. After 1 ride i see the base dry looking already. So i ironed in some Swix BP88 Base Prep Wax. Im told it softer than the usual white multi temp i use and therefore will sink in a little better. So heres the question- when should i throw a layer of white wax on it? right now, or go ahead and ride a couple times then do it?

is it pointless in putting a couple coats on back to back with no rides, or does it somehow pound more wax into the board?
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You are scraping the wax off right?
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

The pores on a sintered base (especially a very dense one, like the rider's choice) are extremely small and require quite a lot of time with heat applied (which opens the pores) to have wax penetrate completely. So yes, extra waxing immediately won't be a complete waste until you've hit total saturation, which takes many heat/cool cycles to achieve.

Alpine races have been using devices called hot boxes for years that essentially act as very low temperature ovens for skis to force complete absorption over a 4-8 hour period. They'll throw a very thick layer of wax on with a traditional iron, and then just let it sit in the box at ~200 F to keep the wax liquid and the pores open.
Irahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Rooster King

^^^^^^ yup - this. i was going to build a hotbox this year but we ended up not having winter

racers also stack waxes - do an entire wax and scrape, repeat, repeat, repeat - sometimes 5-7 times before a race. so yea. go for it.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
^^^^^^ yup - this. i was going to build a hotbox this year but we ended up not having winter

racers also stack waxes - do an entire wax and scrape, repeat, repeat, repeat - sometimes 5-7 times before a race. so yea. go for it.
thx guys... i'll stack one extra layer on for good measure. I've always heard conflicting stories.. some say burton and libtech come with LOTS of factory wax and some say no its CRAPPY wax job. Seems #2 is more accurate.
But wutever.. .the board itself is so awesome.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you can never 'over-wax.'

when in doubt, wax it.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Gnu`s also seem to have really fast bases but they don't hold wax as long as other boards. I am finding this on my Billy Goat. Where I could wax the Heritage and ride for 3 days on ice and crud before drying the base out, the Billy Goat is done after a day of riding. I layer wax by putting down a cold temp wax first, then putting on a multi temp wax. Lately due to the abrasive ice, I have been doing an arctic wax that I get in Fairbanks that is for _30F and colder. I put this on my edges where the most wear takes place. Makes a big difference.
ya i've done cold wax along edges before.. its makes perfect sense in icy conditions or any conditions actually.