wax guru- question for you... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
wax guru- question for you...

i just rode my new 2012 gnu riders choice. awesome board. After 1 ride i see the base dry looking already. So i ironed in some Swix BP88 Base Prep Wax. Im told it softer than the usual white multi temp i use and therefore will sink in a little better. So heres the question- when should i throw a layer of white wax on it? right now, or go ahead and ride a couple times then do it?

is it pointless in putting a couple coats on back to back with no rides, or does it somehow pound more wax into the board?

Vancouver, BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are scraping the wax off right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hipp4u View Post
Im all for having fun, showing your tits and getting fucked up on a river float but it can be done without being a pig.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 01:52 PM

The pores on a sintered base (especially a very dense one, like the rider's choice) are extremely small and require quite a lot of time with heat applied (which opens the pores) to have wax penetrate completely. So yes, extra waxing immediately won't be a complete waste until you've hit total saturation, which takes many heat/cool cycles to achieve.

Alpine races have been using devices called hot boxes for years that essentially act as very low temperature ovens for skis to force complete absorption over a 4-8 hour period. They'll throw a very thick layer of wax on with a traditional iron, and then just let it sit in the box at ~200 F to keep the wax liquid and the pores open.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 02:02 PM
The Rooster King

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
^^^^^^ yup - this. i was going to build a hotbox this year but we ended up not having winter

racers also stack waxes - do an entire wax and scrape, repeat, repeat, repeat - sometimes 5-7 times before a race. so yea. go for it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
^^^^^^ yup - this. i was going to build a hotbox this year but we ended up not having winter

racers also stack waxes - do an entire wax and scrape, repeat, repeat, repeat - sometimes 5-7 times before a race. so yea. go for it.
thx guys... i'll stack one extra layer on for good measure. I've always heard conflicting stories.. some say burton and libtech come with LOTS of factory wax and some say no its CRAPPY wax job. Seems #2 is more accurate.
But wutever.. .the board itself is so awesome.

Vancouver, BC
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member

you can never 'over-wax.'

when in doubt, wax it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Gnu`s also seem to have really fast bases but they don't hold wax as long as other boards. I am finding this on my Billy Goat. Where I could wax the Heritage and ride for 3 days on ice and crud before drying the base out, the Billy Goat is done after a day of riding. I layer wax by putting down a cold temp wax first, then putting on a multi temp wax. Lately due to the abrasive ice, I have been doing an arctic wax that I get in Fairbanks that is for _30F and colder. I put this on my edges where the most wear takes place. Makes a big difference.
ya i've done cold wax along edges before.. its makes perfect sense in icy conditions or any conditions actually.

Vancouver, BC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode