Buying First Board! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying First Board!

Been boarding now for a fair few years and looking to buy my first board.

I'm 6'3, approx 210lbs, size 11.5 feet... All the sizing charts say to measure between chin and nose which comes out at 166-170cm. Which matches what the rental companies always throw at me (168cm).
Thing is I always found them cumbersome and was thinking to maybe get something smaller and a bit more manoeuvrable.
I've got a few friends who have recently bought boards under what the sizing chart would recommend and am thinking of following the trend.

Would welcome input on sizing etc, also any particular brands/boards you would recommend... I'm not looking to break the bank but i don't mind spending for the right one. Personally love bataleon boards, as I'm quite taken by the TBT.

Any opinion welcome
Will Hoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I suggest the Ride Machete. Probably 162-165. I don't remember exactly what sizes it comes in. But it also comes in wide which you might want. Its a board that is pretty much good for everything. And is plenty durable and will last you a long time.

Or if to really like bataleon the Whatever in a similar size would probably do ya good.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

that chin to nose sizing method is antiquated. Size charts now are almost solely based on weight.

For instance, I'm 6'1"/180 lbs and ride a 163cm for all mtn/deep powder and a 155cm twin for skating around hardpack groomers/park. The 163 doesn't even make it to my chin and the 155 is lower than my collarbone.

Of course, you might ride a range just slightly longer than mine, but I wouldn't recommend a 168+ unless you were planning on riding waist deep+ pow every day.

Last edited by extra0; 12-23-2011 at 04:37 PM.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

what's your riding preference? what % of your time do you spend cruising/park/etc?
Old 12-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Most of the time spent equally between off-piste and (for lack of a better phrase) on-piste... Barely really spend anytime in the parks.

Thank you everyone so far, encouraging to know I'm on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
what's your riding preference? what % of your time do you spend cruising/park/etc?
Will Hoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you're staying out of the park, then definitely stay on the upper end of the spectrum for your weight/height. You'll want the extra stability for certain. I'd *guess* 162-164 will allow you decent stability but a little more playfulness. Good luck!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

as far as bataleon's go (TBT), most of their boards fall near the shorter end of the spectrum for your areas of riding.

The Goliath maxes out at a 163 Wide (don't know if you need wide for your boot size).

The Jam maxes out at 162 cm.

I actually really like the specs on the Omni. It maxes out at 164 cm (although prev years had a 167) and has a directional shape and freeride specific TBT that, is not only fantastic in deep powder, but works just about everywhere on the mtn (except park). On super deep powder days, just push your bindings all the way to the back and you will be king! On shallow pow or packed powder days, maybe put the bindings on the second to last inserts...it's omnivorous.

Last edited by extra0; 12-23-2011 at 09:32 PM.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don't pay too much attention to the size charts. I'd stick to a 159-161. Depending on the board, you can find something just as stable at that size, while being more fun everywhere else.

I'm the same height and maybe ten pounds more than you and prefer the 159s and 160s I ride. I'm actually looking at something like a 156 for my next board.
CornedBeef is offline   Reply With Quote