Advice on New Gear ?! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice on New Gear ?!

Hey guys.... So I've been browsing forums, reviews etc for a couple weeks now and have narrowed down my search for some new (my first!) gear. I've only been snowboarding twice - inconsistently link turns, but am looking forward to getting my own board etc and getting out about 8-10x's/yr.
Ht: 5'5
Wt: 115 lbs
Boots: 7 wmns
Beginner, probably won't do much/any park riding.
Location: recently moved to Ontario, where I hear conditions are generally icy...

I'm hoping to spend under 250 on a board that will progress with me, and am trying to decide between last year's models of:
-Rossignol Circus Amptek 147cm $200
-Roxy Silhouette 146cm $250
-Burton Feather 149cm (? too long; I've noticed some feel a beginner may progress out of this board quickly?)$225

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated! Despite hours and hours of searching, I haven't been able to find much info online...

Bindings: I've found a great deal on K2 Charm ($70), but can't find any reviews on these.... vs Burton Stiletto vs??
the most comfortable boots I've tried have been the Burton Bootique and I've read (?incorrectly) that it generally works better to have the same brand boots as bindings?

I've been searching for used gear for over a month, and unfortunately haven't had any luck.

I've definitely new to this and would appreciate any advice available!
Cheers! Enjoy the holidays....

Last edited by madi; 12-25-2011 at 06:40 PM.
madi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i think you will be happy with either the rossignol or the roxy. burton bindings are definitely the way to go, either the citizen's or stilleto
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you can spend just a bit more, the Capita Space Metal Fantasy is a very rideable, fun board. I would recommend it over any of the other boards you listed. Many people report outgrowing the Feather very quickly and I've never heard of the Rossi. The Silhouette might be okay.

Honestly, $250 for a board isn't much. I would recommend trolling eBay and the classifieds section of trusnow.com for gently used, but higher quality boards. Roxy, Gnu, and Never Summer all make boards with edges that perform well on ice and hard pack.

Just say no to the Stilettos. Horrible, horrible bindings for the price. Ride has nicer bindings (Vxn) for a lower price.

And no, you don't need to match boots and bindings.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies.

I've found some boxing day sales on a couple boards (nicer vs the ones I was looking at previously), and would really appreciate thoughts:
Roxy Ally BTX 147
Nitro Mystique 146
Ride Compact 146

(I'm not sure if I should be more in the 147cm vs 144cm range - or does it matter? I went to a local board store and the guy told me I should be looking for a 150cm...)

I'm thinking the roxy may be the best in icy conditions? haven't really heard anything about nitro before..
Thx
Old 12-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd go with the Ally. You'll be happy to have the BTX. The Compact is also a very popular board.

I wouldn't go any longer that a 147. Don't let anyone tell you to choose a board size based on your height - choose based mainly on your weight and riding preferences.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks, I did end up going with the ally. also found a great deal on bindings and boots! gotta love boxing day sales