New Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Board

Weight 170
Height 6'
Boot size 13
Riding style Probably about 70% mountain, 30% park
Age 17
budget Under $400
Your location of riding Connecticut(Mostly), and Massachusetts

I've been riding for about 3 years and I feel my old 5150 board (about 2 years) needs to be replaced. Too stiff for my liking and it's beat up. I've been looking at my options and am unsure of what to get. And I have a couple questions

Questions
1. Is it really that hard to ride all mountain on a jibbing board? I was thinking about the Ride Kink but I do not know how the flex of the board will effect me when I'm carving, not in the park.
2. Is it possible to do park features in a rocker? Will it make it difficult? I was looking at a Rocker
3. Regarding the K2 Raygun, will the 70% Flat and 30% Rocker slow me down? How does this effect my speed?
4. I was also looking at Salomon snowboard but I couldn't find much information on them, anyone ever ridden one of them before?
5. Also, I saw Blank Snowboards, but was told that they have the same construction as my 5150 and would not really be an upgrade.
6. Obviously I am looking at wide boards, but what would a good length for me be? Using a "Snowboard Length Calculator" I googled, it calculated to be 160, but that seems a bit long.

Boards I am looking at
1. K2 Raygun
2. Ride Kink
3. DC PBJ
4. Salomen Drift, Riot, Salvatore Sanchez
5. Blank Snowboards

Thanks!
mike7822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Anwers
1. No its really easy to ride all mountain on a jib board, it's still a snowboard and will go where ever you point it, its just easier to do that stuff on an all- mountain board.
2. Rocker makes most park things easier, the board feels looser and less catchy, only the new problem might be over spin on your landings.
3. I think all the board you listed have some or all rocker. Basicly you will be able to go just as fast on a rocker board but it generally wont hold and edge as well or be as stable. More rocker=less stable. The flat middle with upturned tips, like the raygun and kink, will be the best out of the boards you mentioned.
4. salomon make some badass boards-the riot is probably the best out of the three, you probably wont like the sanchez.
5. havent ridden a blank but they look like better construction than your 5150, triax fiberglass, carbon stringers and poplar wood core will make them a bit stronger. You would probably be happy with one of these and at 200 bucks its hard not to just try one.
6. i recommend 155-157

I would go with the Kink 156, it is a little stiffer than average jib stick which will be good on the rest of the mountain and the bit of rocker in it will still do good on pow days.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I still think a 156 is small for me. Or are boards supposed to be smaller than chin to nose?
mike7822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Raygun handsdown. Only thing that you might like better in that price range would be a Flow Drifter (I think that retails $399). 156 in both.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote