First Board - What Does All of this Information Mean? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Board - What Does All of this Information Mean?

Hey all! I really hate to start off a post like that, but I'm looking to pick up a board very soon (under two weeks) and have finally accepted that I am a little lost after hours of reading and searching.

Background and necessary stats:
- 5-6 trips made thus far, average of 2-3 days each
- between beginner and intermediate largely because of infrequent boarding here on the Ice Coast
- I'm probably more of a cruiser speed wise, and enjoy both freeride and park
- roughly 5'8" and 185lbs, size 10 foot (for most boots)

When I say beginner/intermediate, I can pick up speed and carve pretty well. I still tend to catch edges occasionally when linking turns, but have never ridden anything other than a rental board. I will hit small jumps and boxes, but wouldn't consider myself a serious park rider right now. I like to cruise, but like to keep speed at controllable levels.

There are two boards I am seriously considering right now, the K2 Brigade and the Forum Recon. I've been wearing K2 skates for years now and always liked their quality for the price. From what I've seen, the Brigade would match some of my current abilities and wants, but I'm afraid that it may not have as much growth room as I'd like. The 2012 Recon appears solid and a good match for my style, but I can't tell if it is too advanced (some reviews suggest it is, others say beginners). I do like the idea of a rocker board, especially for learning park/tricks. It seems that both of these boards should be fairly smooth and composed, is this true? One particular concern is how the board handles groomers and ice, since that is all I really have available (Snowshoe had the best conditions I've ridden so far).

It looks like something in the 156cm range is about right for my build and speed preference. I think the board I rode at Snowshoe was an Atomic 155, which was comfortable, and the Burton LTR 157 or 158 (I guess that is the range?) I rode at Sugar was just a bit much to swing.

I'm trying to keep a decent budget (~$300 for the board, $150 each for bindings and boots), but am flexible if there is something really worth the extra cash. I'm quite committed to sticking with the sport, despite how goofy I might look on the hill.

Am I on track here?

And for the bindings and boots. Is it wise to just match the bindings for now (Forum Recon or K2 Sonic)? I have very little in the way of a reference point here, so I suppose it may not make much difference.. The boots are one place that I am definitely willing to splurge on, in light of the number of foot and lower leg injuries I've had in the past year. I want ankle (twisted it last season) and arch support here, and a comfortable overall experience. Any thoughts on the K2 Haymaker, Curfew, and Ryker?

I'm open to any thoughts and suggestions, since I am quite lost despite all the reading I've done. Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to find anything related to snowboarding within a few hour's drive of here. I'd like to have my gear in hand rather than having to make a quick decision when I get to the slopes this year.

Thanks!
VW_thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

check out Blank Snowboards :: Making Snowboarding an Affordable Pastime
White or Black rocker or camber-$199
Probably the best deal on a snowboard anywhere IMO.

Then get some K2 formula bindings and splurge on some good boots and you're set.

Its best to go to a shop and try on all the boots till you find the most comfortable ones.

oh probably 155-157 on the board size
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

thay have the rocker in 157 but in the specs they say its the 147.. which one is?

is it a good board?
Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

shit i have no idea, might have to call them about the size,

ive never ridden one but i was thinking about ordering one, for 200 bucks it cant hurt to bad to try out. contemplating the 151 reverse white for a park board im 5'10 165
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

I like the idea of the Blank board, but have pretty much the same concerns as Raines. There isn't much information on the boards other than what the website gives. I'd definitely consider them if anyone has a review on them. I already know that a quality board board won't perform equally well (as they claim) on park/pipe, groomers, and backcountry...
Old 12-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_thing View Post
I like the idea of the Blank board, but have pretty much the same concerns as Raines. There isn't much information on the boards other than what the website gives. I'd definitely consider them if anyone has a review on them. I already know that a quality board board won't perform equally well (as they claim) on park/pipe, groomers, and backcountry...
At your level, they will perform equally.

Once you get over 40 days total, you might notice the board.

buy used snowboards,

spend your money and time on finding boots that fit

edit, i replied because I actually owned a VW thing, rad safari "jeep".
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice! I'm more than committed enough that I want something good to start with, but it helps a lot with the selection.

Very cool to stumble on a fellow Thing owner. We're a strange and rather rare breed...
Old 12-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

you can do what you described with any board, doubt you'll notice a difference between boards at this point.

i'd grab a last years flow quantum for 300 bucks and spend the rest of your cash making it out to snowshoe so you can ride more often. (fucking weather is terrible here in the mid-east coast area its like god damn spring).
Beschatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the reinforcement there.

One question.. I've read a fair bit about flex, but never seen it really laid out for someone with such a limited frame of reference. It looks like softer is better for beginners, but is there a "too soft" at this point? What exactly does that feel like on the snow?

The biggest issue with the trip to Snowshoe is time... If the temperature doesn't drop within the week, it won't really be worth the drive for me until mid-March (which I'd expect a long winter, the way this one has started).

[edit] May not have been the best decision, but I pulled the trigger.. 2012 Forum Recon 156, Burton Freestyle bindings, and Vans Mantra boots. I couldn't find much wrong with any of the kit for my purposes, and Dogfunk's free 2 day shipping plus return policy sealed the deal.

Last edited by VW_thing; 12-28-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_thing View Post
Thanks for the reinforcement there.

One question.. I've read a fair bit about flex, but never seen it really laid out for someone with such a limited frame of reference. It looks like softer is better for beginners, but is there a "too soft" at this point? What exactly does that feel like on the snow?

The biggest issue with the trip to Snowshoe is time... If the temperature doesn't drop within the week, it won't really be worth the drive for me until mid-March (which I'd expect a long winter, the way this one has started).

[edit] May not have been the best decision, but I pulled the trigger.. 2012 Forum Recon 156, Burton Freestyle bindings, and Vans Mantra boots. I couldn't find much wrong with any of the kit for my purposes, and Dogfunk's free 2 day shipping plus return policy sealed the deal.
decent set up for a beginner. dude im in nova and im heading to 7springs tomorrow. they just got some snowfall and they manmade snow all tonight. fuck snowshoe, shits so expensive.

a soft board will bend a lot. when your carving, the edge hold will give out. when you land a jump you wont stomp it. you'll manual it if you dont land straight on. it'll turn easier though and their usually more forgiving.

hope that helps.
Beschatten is offline   Reply With Quote