First post... Too bad its a bad one.. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First post... Too bad its a bad one..

Hey everyone I hope everyone had some happy holidays, I got a 6 pack and a Quad to Mountain High, yay! Well sadly last week I snapped my 2010 Burton Custom V rocker. Well to be honest it's my cousins that he let me use. After bringing it back to the shop where it was purchased and contacting Burton myself, they are debating whether it was from impact as if I ran into a tree or something when in reality I was doing a nose press(butter) just riding along and I leaned too far forwards, fell to the side, and heard a crack. Anyone who's familiar with the tiny mountain high in so cal knows that its difficult to hit a tree as there isn't a single trail through the tree's lol.. Does something like this look like its repairable? or rather that it should be covered by their warranty? It's not like I hit some super kicker or anything that causes hard impact, i felt like a total goon when this happened haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (112.4 KB, 282 views)
KSKENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

thats totally not repairable and looks doubtful that it was cause by just doing a nose press
Old 12-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr0_Reps_Smit View Post
thats totally not repairable and looks doubtful that it was cause by just doing a nose press
Well I'm not lying about it, if i was gonna lie id say i was doing a backside rodeo or something impressive haha. I was leaning too far up front and once it started to go over i flailed for a second, board turned into a spring, popped me up and i head the crack, it was terrible. just hoping i don't have to by my cousin a new board
Old 12-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

May not be impact damage, that could be a defect. The "pro tip" can crack there, only if it went through to the core. Impact damage maybe, but you will need to deal with Burton...not your shop. Call up rider services and explain.

Did it go all the through the core and is the base cracked too? If only the top sheet.........

Sometimes JUST the top sheet cracks, and you can sand it down, then epoxy it and it is as good as new. (been there done that a few times with a few different boards).

Last edited by Sick-Pow; 12-26-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Pow View Post
May not be impact damage, that could be a defect. The "pro tip" can crack there, only if it went through to the core. Impact damage maybe, but you will need to deal with Burton...not your shop. Call up rider services and explain.

Did it go all the through the core and is the base cracked too? If only the top sheet.........

Sometimes JUST the top sheet cracks, and you can sand it down, then epoxy it and it is as good as new. (been there done that a few times with a few different boards).

PS, whomever said not repairable without seeing the base.....please.
I've been dealing with both but the board is at the shop so I will probably go pick it up today and deal with it myself. I haven't taken any wax off but from what I can tell, the base is intact. I believe the core is broken as far as the top layer is.. as the nose will fold on that line with force but not past it. I'm hoping to god Burton warrantees it
Old 12-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSKENE View Post
I've been dealing with both but the board is at the shop so I will probably go pick it up today and deal with it myself. I haven't taken any wax off but from what I can tell, the base is intact. I believe the core is broken as far as the top layer is.. as the nose will fold on that line with force but not past it. I'm hoping to god Burton warrantees it
The nose or tail will fold up, even without a crack FYI. that is besides the point. If no base damage, you are almost certain a claim, unless there is edge damage too....then you are fucked, read on.

You have to be sure the core is broken though. You can see and confirm by looking at the side-wall near the crack. you will easily be able to see if it went into the core. The pro-tip section is really easy to see, even look on the other side first to compare. I have seen many with a warranty claim with that exact damage, but 0% of edge damage. If you have any edge damage, you are out of luck. Edge damage will = impact damage.

I have had two that only the top sheet was cracked, a defect in itself, but a super easy repair....like braindead dumb easy and no need to waste shipping money or time.

edit, if the shop will ship it, save some money.

Last edited by Sick-Pow; 12-26-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

That looks EXACTLY like what happened to my "sierra crew" snowboard i was riding last year(which is just a 2008 burton custom with a different design). I never had one particular impact that caused it, it cracked small and spread over time. I think these burton boards are total pieces of shit.
ShredTaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredTaos View Post
That looks EXACTLY like what happened to my "sierra crew" snowboard i was riding last year(which is just a 2008 burton custom with a different design). I never had one particular impact that caused it, it cracked small and spread over time. I think these burton boards are total pieces of shit.
bullshit.

So you cracked it, it spread over time because you did not maintain it, and now it is a piece of shit? Stupid Sierratard.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Pow View Post
bullshit.

So you cracked it, it spread over time because you did not maintain it, and now it is a piece of shit? Stupid Sierratard.
Sierratard? The top sheet cracked within a week of having the board. I teach snowboarding and having people roll over my topsheet is common, out of all the boards I've had never has one been permanently damaged (other than visual damage) this way. Actually the damage started at as purely a scratch and a little chip out of the topsheet near the edge. This is what started the crack I'm almost certain. I epoxied it, which I guess you could call a "repair", although it did hold temporarily. It actually cracked on the OTHER side of the tip as well shortly after that (where there was NO topsheet damage yet). Then the cracks basically came together in the middle. Oh, also - the topsheet where the bindings bolt on cracked, and actually started lifting up there too, which is very fucking dangerous. I never directly hit any particular thing to cause any of this damage, it actually all happened over time throughout the season. Don't get me wrong, i hit rocks, logs under the snow, etc plenty of times(as I do with all of my boards, i ride the shit out of them until they break), but none of my other boards have failed in this fashon, never until I owned this board have I thought "wow they should really make these topsheets tougher".

I bought that board last year when they were selling them for 75% off, and got it for 140 bucks or so. I still consider it a good deal, but make no mistakes - it's the biggest piece of shit board I've had yet(Material wise, It actually rode great and was well worth what I paid for it.) I've owned many snowboards, i'm not some noob blowing shit out my ass. I always blamed it on the sierra remaking of this board, but seeing his topsheet cracked in the same spot, and with his story sounding similar to mine(no major impact causing it), I believe the guy. I'll get some pics for this thread even, give me some time.

So maybe calling it a complete piece of shit is an overreaction, because its not entirely true. I got almost a whole season out of it(probably got 70 days on it, which is easily more than I expected for that cheap board), and it rode well the whole time. And I really don't expect more than a season out of a board before I retire it, so that's not the issue either. It's just the way it failed is obviously due to poor materials used on the topsheet.

Last edited by ShredTaos; 12-26-2011 at 01:12 PM.
ShredTaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredTaos View Post
Sierratard? The top sheet cracked within a week of having the board. I teach snowboarding and having people roll over my topsheet is common, this board obviously had a very weak topsheet. This is what cracked this particular board, or at least started the crack. I epoxied it, which I guess you could call a "repair", although it did hold temporarily. It actually cracked on the OTHER side of the tip as well shortly after that. Then the cracks basically came together in the middle. Oh, also - the topsheet where the bindings bolt on cracked, and actually started lifting up there too, which is very fucking dangerous. I never directly hit any particular thing to cause any of this damage, it actually all happened over time throughout the season. Don't get me wrong, i hit rocks, logs under the snow, etc plenty of times(as I do with all of my boards, i ride the shit out of them until they break), but none of my other boards have failed in this fashon, or even remotely close to this.

I bought that board last year when they were selling them for 75% off, and got it for 140 bucks or so. I still consider it a good deal, but make no mistakes - it's the biggest piece of shit board I've had yet(and I've owned many snowboards, i'm not some noob blowing shit out my ass). I always blamed it on the sierra remaking of this board, but seeing his topsheet cracked in the same spot, and with his story sounding similar to mine(no major impact causing it), I believe the guy. I'll get some pics for this thread even, give me some time.
Thats cool, those cracked top sheets suck, and vibes. The epoxy should get sanded down, blend it into the surrounding top sheet, when you fix the top sheet.

sorry for the 'tard jab, it is annoying when Burton will easily replace these defects, that people still bitch. They moved production out of canada and some of the Austrian factories for this and channel defects.

Last edited by Sick-Pow; 12-26-2011 at 01:07 PM.