some quick questions about waxing - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default some quick questions about waxing

ok ive never waxed before, i had some quick questions:
1. how important is it to clean the base before/brush the base with a brush after?
2. does this work well? New Innovative Wax Scraper; skis, snowboards, surfboard - eBay (item 250222734822 end time Mar-10-08 17:25:47 PDT)

3. i have a sintered base. i ride mainly on man made snow. is it really that necessary to wax after each riding day? i plan to do it after every 3-4...
4. the excess wax that i scrape off...can this be recycled for a second waxing?
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

1) I don't think its important to do it every time - maybe once a season, unless you get some crap on there or something. I do a slight brush after just to show the lines, but man made snow should expose the lines easily.
2) Thats a little much for a scraper, but I've never used it. My vote goes for going to home depot and picking up a piece of plexiglass/acrylic, cutting the piece into 3 pieces and using t hat - cost me a total of $1.50.
3) I'd say wax every 2-3 times.
4) No idea. I guess it could, but I'm sure it would be more trouble than its worth.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
powershiftz02gt

cleaning the base is important. you will be amazed what all the crud it will pick up. you may even want to scrap your board before you do the cleaner. just a real quick scrap. and then brushing after with the wax job is important too. this is to get the wax in all the little pores going the right direction. YOu want to go from nose to tail since this is the direction you ride in. This will allow you to go faster and sift the water faster etc. Also you might not have to wax it everytime you go but man made snow is very chrystally so its going to eat up your wax a lot faster then powder. So i would say do it every 3 times maybe just to be safe.

your other questions i can not answer. For the recycle the wax for another use question i do not think you can do that because the chemical reaction has already occurred but i could be wrong on that so let someone else answer you other questions.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

1) Some people use kerosene or base cleaner every time, I don't think it's needed. If you have a brush handy though, I would definitely brush your base to clean it, as it only takes 30sec. Normally I just use soap + water + a paper towel.

2) That scrapper looks gimmicky. Either buy a cheap scrapper from your local shop ~ $5, or do what mingle said, either would work great.

3) I like to wax after every time out, but that's just because I love how my board feels when it's freshly waxed. But on man made snow, I would say at least every other time out would be a good idea; that stuff is harsh.

4) Don't reuse the excess wax, when you heat the wax it's chemical properties become slightly changed, so don't reuse your scrapings.
scottland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

do the scrapers i buy at a shop last a long time or do they sorta dull out after two or three waxes?
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

what kind of base do i have? Lightspeed™ Vision Base on my burton blunt 08, is this sintered or extruded.. and whats the difference beterrm them?
NYCboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

After a few waxes and runs, you'll also start to visually notice when your board needs waxing. I'll only do a full drip wax maybe once or twice a year now, but every other time I ride, I'll atleast to the edges or the whole base, using the "crayon" method: Take the wax bar, rub it into the base well, and evenly... rub it into every spot you plan on getting wax into, then use the iron to melt it all in. Very minimal scarping is required afterwards and the result is almost perfect.

Kris
Toronto Prelude Club
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A quick google search on your base says low maintainence...so my guess is that its extruded, but I'm not sure.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

yea all i saw was low maintnance and can take abuse..
Old 03-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanx alot snow