Recommend a board for intermediate to advanced SoCal park/mountain riding? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recommend a board for intermediate to advanced SoCal park/mountain riding?

Hey guys! New here, but Ive been a long time lurker. Id say I've progressed well beyond my old morrow board. Its way too narrow and squirrels out from under me all the time (despite being a 158). I tried a midwide 154 rossignol and fell in love with the added stability a wide board gives. With this in mind, Id like recommendations for a board matching the following criteria:

-I am 5'11, 175 lbs and wearing an 11.5 boot

-Suitable for significant amounts of park riding. I live in southern california and the two closest resorts (Mt High and Big Bear) only really offer park riding as a significant attraction. Im not skiing back country powder as I dont have the money for those resorts and the stuff just bunches up under you and makes you go slow anyway

-Is still stiff/responsive/poppy enough for mountain riding, taking landings, and holding an edge over ice (in SoCal, the warm midday sun means extra ice come 4-5pm and later on)

-Wide board. It doesnt have to be a total barge, but Im not looking for a toothpick corner carver.

-Magnetraction would be cool, as I regularly encounter ice, but I assume it will only be found on more expensive mountain boards?

-I dont really care about graphics, Ill take whichever board is the best

-Used boards are OK

-Price range: 350 and under. Preferably under 300, as I still need to buy bindings

-Please recommend decent bindings to go with (used or new) the board you recommend (if you know of any)


I have heard good things about ride boards (that they are well priced for intermediate riders) but they have a million different variants and its unclear which ones are suitable for what. I dont know a thing about the Forum, Lib, GNU, and other manufacturers lineups.

Thanks guys! looking forward to upping my game!
DerangedGoose is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 7,501
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Look for a 2011 Flow Verve. That's your best bet for under $300 in a good ride that will grip ice.

Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
Nivek is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was told that flow boards are generally lower quality boards? Im seeing Ride Kinks and Societies go for around 250 on ebay, are those worth a shot? The DH can be had for a little more.

Is there a list of manufacturers/boards that use magnetraction?
DerangedGoose is offline  
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
 
Riley212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Seattle
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
look for last years models, Ride Kink Snowboard 2011 | evo outletthat would be a pretty good board.

Lib-tech, gnu, rossignol, jones snowboards, smokin snowboards. all use some version of magnetraction

if you can find used any of those they would work. lib skate banana's are pretty easy to find.
like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lib-Tech-Ska...item41608ef4ae

Last edited by Riley212; 12-27-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Riley212 is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
I was told that flow boards are generally lower quality boards? Im seeing Ride Kinks and Societies go for around 250 on ebay, are those worth a shot? The DH can be had for a little more.

Is there a list of manufacturers/boards that use magnetraction?
You don't need magnetraction in So Cal. Yes there is some ice due to warm weather and lack of significant snowfall, but I grip just fine without Magnetraction. I've never rode magne so I'm not saying it won't help. I'm saying so far I haven't exactly needed. My Evo and the SL I rode last year cut through it just fine once I learned that I shouldn't be skidding over the ice.

That said Smokin, Rossi both have magne on some models. Lib and Gnu of course. Arbor has grip tech.

Never rode east coast so I don't know who has worse ice. So Cal isn't that bad though. Most of the time it's packed powder/hardpack. Late spring though it's rock hard in the morning (that's what she said) then softens up after 10-11am
jdang307 is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
 
Lstarrasl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Carlsbad
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gnu Carbon Credit series. They make them in wide, if you are going that route. It has MAgnetraction
Lstarrasl is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 7,501
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
I was told that flow boards are generally lower quality boards? Im seeing Ride Kinks and Societies go for around 250 on ebay, are those worth a shot? The DH can be had for a little more.

Is there a list of manufacturers/boards that use magnetraction?
Not so, Flow actually makes some of the most underrated boards. I have not been on one that I wouldn't want to own. Really dialed designs.

Kinks are great boards and will do well at Bear, but if you want grip they wont help. Though to be honest if you're still riding Bear after 3... why? The park sucks after that point, and High is worse. They're terrible at feature upkeep...

Also my experiences at both don't make me want magne... griptech at the most...

My daily is a Signal Park Flat. Radial sidecut. I don't have any issues.

Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
Nivek is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
You don't need magnetraction in So Cal. Yes there is some ice due to warm weather and lack of significant snowfall, but I grip just fine without Magnetraction. I've never rode magne so I'm not saying it won't help. I'm saying so far I haven't exactly needed. My Evo and the SL I rode last year cut through it just fine once I learned that I shouldn't be skidding over the ice.

That said Smokin, Rossi both have magne on some models. Lib and Gnu of course. Arbor has grip tech.

Never rode east coast so I don't know who has worse ice. So Cal isn't that bad though. Most of the time it's packed powder/hardpack. Late spring though it's rock hard in the morning (that's what she said) then softens up after 10-11am
GNU is way out of my budget and there dont seem to be very many used ones out there.

Do all arbor boards feature grip tech?

Can anyone comment on the Sierra Stunt or Reverse Crew?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Not so, Flow actually makes some of the most underrated boards. I have not been on one that I wouldn't want to own. Really dialed designs.

Kinks are great boards and will do well at Bear, but if you want grip they wont help. Though to be honest if you're still riding Bear after 3... why? The park sucks after that point, and High is worse. They're terrible at feature upkeep...

Also my experiences at both don't make me want magne... griptech at the most...

My daily is a Signal Park Flat. Radial sidecut. I don't have any issues.
I ride all day because ticket prices are a total scam as it is. Holiday pricing is 60+. Should I go with an arbor board?

What about the kink makes it lack grip? Is it the rocker shape?
DerangedGoose is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 7,501
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
GNU is way out of my budget and there dont seem to be very many used ones out there.

Do all arbor boards feature grip tech?

Can anyone comment on the Sierra Stunt or Reverse Crew?




I ride all day because ticket prices are a total scam as it is. Holiday pricing is 60+. Should I go with an arbor board?

What about the kink makes it lack grip? Is it the rocker shape?
60+ Move to colorado and see how you like that. Peak season is 90+

Kinks a jibstick. Soft flex with a single radius sidecut just means you don't get a lot of bite. There is very very little rocker in the Kink. It's effectively zerocam.

Don't buy from Sierra, they are a shit company and did some really shady things a couple years ago in chase of the almighty dollar.

Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
Nivek is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
60+ Move to colorado and see how you like that. Peak season is 90+

Kinks a jibstick. Soft flex with a single radius sidecut just means you don't get a lot of bite. There is very very little rocker in the Kink. It's effectively zerocam.

Don't buy from Sierra, they are a shit company and did some really shady things a couple years ago in chase of the almighty dollar.
Thats absurd! That means it doesnt matter either way whether you have your own gear or not, you are getting totally hosed! Are there places around here to get lift tickets cheaper?

Soft flex with zero bite seems to suggest that I wouldnt be having much fun around the mountain. Should I go with the ride society or DH? Can you comment on the fleetwood?

As for sierra, I dont really care about a company's sales practices, Im just out for the best board. But if their boards are crap, I will stay away.

Are there any Arbor models you can recommend?
DerangedGoose is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome