Would appreciate a little advice for a newer rider. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Cool Would appreciate a little advice for a newer rider.

Hi my name is Steve, Im in the Navy and stationed oversees in Japan. I guess you could say im new to the forum but i have been reading a ton of threads and posts. Been snowboarding the last 2 seasons here and the weather is fantastic, always lots of fresh pow. I picked up a K2 Fuse 155 last year at the start of the season at a black friday sale and got it super cheap. I like the board but i think its time for an upgrade. Im 5'11 165 pounds and i spend most of the time in the park and big mountain. Im originally from South Florida and been Longboarding and Surfing for as long as i can remember so it didnt take me to long to pick up snowboarding. I love bombing hills, carving snow, and throwing in some jumps here and there. Problem is i find when i get going to fast on my board it feels like im going to lift off the ground and fly away. Ive been looking into some of the Never Summer boards but still not sure about the sizes since people say they run bigger and havnt really settled on one inpaticular. I would appreciate all the advice i can get from you guys. Thanks
ShredTilDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

That Fuse is a low end, cap construction board. It has a tapered shape, so it likely feels good, but a little loose. Normal camber.

ANything newer will be good if you can spend more than 3-400. Construction will be bomber at or more than 400. MAybe look used, you could get in under 300 used.

As for NS, or whatever, Rocker designs will feel a little longer, so maybe just upgrade this year to a better quality Cambered board as that is what you are used to.

Flow makes a few good ones cheap, Rome.

Look for all-mtn, or free ride decks.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Money really isnt to big of a problem i was looking at spending $600 and under for a quality board. Kind of a late christmas present to myself ha ha. But ill look into those boards none the less.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredTilDead View Post
Money really isnt to big of a problem i was looking at spending $600 and under for a quality board. Kind of a late christmas present to myself ha ha. But ill look into those boards none the less.
Cool. I guess a bunch of shopping is in store for you~!

Freeride decks and traditional camber sounds like your thing IMO. Narrow down some graphics you like from different brands, then come back with some comparisons for us to consider.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hot boards you might want to steer towards would be the Flow Drifter, Signal Omni, K2 Turbo Dream, Ride Berzerker, Arbor Coda, or a Nitro Team Gullwing. From NS probably a Heritage.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

bode merrill's salomon's man's board. cant go wrong with it.

... that is... if youre man enough to handle it.
Beschatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
t21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredTilDead View Post
Hi my name is Steve, Im in the Navy and stationed oversees in Japan. I guess you could say im new to the forum but i have been reading a ton of threads and posts. Been snowboarding the last 2 seasons here and the weather is fantastic, always lots of fresh pow. I picked up a K2 Fuse 155 last year at the start of the season at a black friday sale and got it super cheap. I like the board but i think its time for an upgrade. Im 5'11 165 pounds and i spend most of the time in the park and big mountain. Im originally from South Florida and been Longboarding and Surfing for as long as i can remember so it didnt take me to long to pick up snowboarding. I love bombing hills, carving snow, and throwing in some jumps here and there. Problem is i find when i get going to fast on my board it feels like im going to lift off the ground and fly away. Ive been looking into some of the Never Summer boards but still not sure about the sizes since people say they run bigger and havnt really settled on one inpaticular. I would appreciate all the advice i can get from you guys. Thanks
Thank you for serving in the military.I was stationed in Japan from 1988-1994 on board the USS MIDWAY,then the USS INDEPENDENCE,had a great time there.However,also consider the 2012 Ride Highlife UL,currently i ride the 2011 Antic and its a really good board and its in my $range. i'd buy the UL if i could.the NS Heritage seems to be a great board too,have you read the review by Snowolf about it? well goodluck purchasing and enjoy the POW in japan
t21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks t21 and thank you for serving as well and i will shred some of Japan fresh pow for you this season. So i think ive narrowed it down to the Never Summer Legacy, k2 Turbo dream, and Arbor Coda. Im leaning toward the Legacy for the simple fact that it has a 3 year warrenty, cool graphic, and made in the US. What do you guys think?