What do u mean catchy grippy? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What do u mean catchy grippy?

Hi guys I'm a beginner intermediate and I can link turns good but I want something with a little more edge hold, I live on the east coast I was wondering what everyone means grippy catchy with the skate banana was looking at that one and Rome artifact rocker and I ride dc pbj right now. I ride mostly groomed runs i just like a soft board I don't want a skate banana if magnatraction is gonna make me catch edges more, thanks nate
Nate3380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Won't make you catch edges more. It just has grip and some people feel it locks you into a carve too abruptly. Likely, you'll want the MTX over the Artifact Rocker and PBJ for ease, but all can be ridden if you're cautious. I wouldn't recommend it, though.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

magnetraction doesn't make you catch edges more, it grips ice better when you turn and carve
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ok thanks guys for good info
Nate3380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate3380 View Post
Hi guys I'm a beginner intermediate and I can link turns good but I want something with a little more edge hold, I live on the east coast I was wondering what everyone means grippy catchy with the skate banana was looking at that one and Rome artifact rocker and I ride dc pbj right now. I ride mostly groomed runs i just like a soft board I don't want a skate banana if magnatraction is gonna make me catch edges more, thanks nate
I think they mean "hooky" where the edge "bites" hard and a little earlier than you expect. That is different from catching you edge.

Some people also said Never Summer boards are "catchy" and I think they also mean that the edge engages earlier than they expect. That's because Never Summer boards come with a 0 degree base bevel by default... where most boards have a 1,2, even 2.5 degree base bevel. I guess Never Summer likes leaving the edge natural because it is much harder to "undo" a base bevel than to add one. If you have edge gotten your edges sharpened at a shop... they all do 1/1 degree bevels unless you specifically ask for something else (then... they "might" do what you asked, or do something completely different).
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Stick with the board you got. Riding ice sucks regardless if you have magnatraction. Save your money and go to Jackson hole....where they have good snow.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

ice is going to suck dick, always.

magnetraction just makes it a little bit less painful by "attempting" to cut through it.
Beschatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ice does suck. But if ice is what you get - then ice is what you get. Magnetraction tears a fucking path right through it mind. I have a Skate Banana 09. it is VERY grippy. I have never once washed out on ice on it!! That said it does not carve well - in the slightest. If you ride groomers then get a stiffer (than a Skate Banana) board. I do love my board but if it is still similar to how it was when mine was built it's very much a park board - or a board which you take out when it's an icy hell outside. Other Lib Tech boards I'm sure have the grip technology dialled now and you should look around. C2BTX...!?