my DIY swallow tail burton supermodel 172 - Page 10 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #91 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Holy shit, those Coda boards are ridiculous. They'd have to have something to hold those two "skis" together. I think that amount of swallow tail is a bit overkill.
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #92 (permalink)

The second idea, imagine all sanded down nicely and with fiberglass over it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.4 KB, 139 views)
Tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #93 (permalink)
Veteran Member

option one would help torsionaly in a turn, not to much in the longitudinal (tip to tail) direction.

i would be concerned with the stress concentrations where the wood stops.

If i were to do any reinforcing i would add carbon tape from the rear binding out to the swallow tips on the tail ( reverse V pattern )

I personally wouldnt be that worried about the tail flex. A normal tail of a board rolls up yours is now flat. Many boards have rocker in the tail and perform fine. My pow boards of choice is a lib snowmullet and k2 gyrator which both have rockered tails.

try it first, modify later. This board will ride different than others thats the point, adapt your riding style to fit the board.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
option one would help torsionaly in a turn, not to much in the longitudinal (tip to tail) direction.

i would be concerned with the stress concentrations where the wood stops.

If i were to do any reinforcing i would add carbon tape from the rear binding out to the swallow tips on the tail ( reverse V pattern )

I personally wouldnt be that worried about the tail flex. A normal tail of a board rolls up yours is now flat. Many boards have rocker in the tail and perform fine. My pow boards of choice is a lib snowmullet and k2 gyrator which both have rockered tails.

I know i' overthinking this, but thats a fun part of it for me. Lol

try it first, modify later. This board will ride different than others thats the point, adapt your riding style to fit the board.

Torsional flex is what concerns me a little, let face it even if i plan to go on a powder day...sometimes, theres not as much snow as expected at the moutain so I would like the board to be rideable in a broad range of conditions.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartosuc View Post
Hi all,
i started working on my old rossignol 166 board to make it swallowtail. this thread got me started.

here's where i'm at so far.
working on sanding, finishing the inside edge at the moment, a re-paint is in the plans. Ił,m not on a rush, i want it to be nicely done, if I only test it next season so be it.

few questions for those who already tested their board.:
1- do you guy' feel the tails are a lot softer/flexier than before?
2- would they benefit from some reinforcement? either added laminate or a stiffener bar between the tips?

thanks
I am impressed with the tools you've got. Why don't you just try out the swallow tail alone and see how things go? Maybe it's good enough already. If you make modifications and try them out little by little, you will have more useful data to reflect upon later. We are all to some extent doing experiments, don't we? Or maybe you seldom hit the powder slopes and you are compelled to try out all your ideas in one go.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #96 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Dont bother with any kind of stiffening, you just dont need it.

Was great riding with you guys in rusutsu simmo. 50cm and 30cm days in a row are usually fun LOL.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Sounds good. I would like to see your videos.

But honnestly, by "hand feel", i pushed before and after the cut and i feel it is considerably softer...of course its hand feel, not very scientific but not completely unrreliable.
Yes mine also felt softer with my hand, but when riding it didn't.

I'll post up the footage once I get it from my friend who I borrowed the go-pro from.

Quote:
Torsional flex is what concerns me a little, let face it even if i plan to go on a powder day...sometimes, theres not as much snow as expected at the moutain so I would like the board to be rideable in a broad range of conditions.
I love my board in powder or groomed runs it perfect for me. I got to ride to two great powder boards and they great fun on deep powder days, but I didn't like the extra lenght and weight on non powder days or tight tree runs.

My setup is perfect now for my riding.

Last edited by Sim79; 02-12-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Sim79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #98 (permalink)

thanks all for your infos,
I think i will try it like that first.

@ig88, yes i have lots of tools, i'm 43 yers old(16 in my head) passionate about mountain biking, outdoors sports in general and also a homeowner...all this requires me to be well equiped with tools. plus i just love to modify/improve things. my basement is part shop, part storage for all my outdoor toys.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
thanks all for your infos,
I think i will try it like that first.

@ig88, yes i have lots of tools, i'm 43 yers old(16 in my head) passionate about mountain biking, outdoors sports in general and also a homeowner...all this requires me to be well equiped with tools. plus i just love to modify/improve things. my basement is part shop, part storage for all my outdoor toys.
You also born in 69?
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
You also born in 69?
january 1970