Lib Tech La Nina from Supermodel X - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
JR2

Default Lib Tech La Nina from Supermodel X

Hi,

While I think I probably got a great board it might not have been the "right" board I was looking for.

I am 5' 9" 165lbs an old guy 43 been riding since 88' always been on freeride boards, been scaling down from 165 to 163 to my 2007 160 SuperModel X. I like to go fast, fully directional stance at 27 in the front and 11 in the back. I love deep pow (who doesn't eh!), and well my supermodel was getting long in the tooth... I now ride the kickers in the park (since I have a 10 year who rides) and do the occasional FLAT only boxes (and usually just straight - I can't help from always wanting to be on an edge and as you all know that is BAAD on a box). Having moved to SoCal a year ago we usually make the trek to Mammoth - but occasionally hit the local mountains too.

I have been eyeing the lib boards for awhile and wanted to have an open mind, I was comparing the Custom X in a 160 to perhaps the T rice 157, and then I saw the Dark series 158 - which I almost bought, and I also saw the Jamie Lynn Phoenix (I saw a 157 and a 160...) I demoed the Rice and while it was pretty sweet and I could ride it fine, it felt really short in a 157 and wide and the twin was trippy.

So I went into a shop with my SuperModel X and layed it on the ground and the guy steered me towards the La Nina, saying it had almost the same specs as my supermodel X and would be the easiest transition into a Lib board - it sort of looked true, the Jamie and the Dark Series looked to be a lot less flat with more rocker... so I bought the 159.... Now I have been scouring the web and find out that the La Nina is more a powder board - which is awesome - but if that is true then I just bought a dedicated powder board (to start a quiver) and not a board that is a full true all mountain free ride beast - that I can occasionally ride switch into a kicker or trying a 3 or 540 with.

So my question really is - is the La Nina the best transition from the SuperModel X to the Lib line of boards?

If not should I have bought the Dark S or the Jamie Lynn? and/or should I buy a Custom X and have the Custom X be my all mountain 95% of the time board and the La Nina my Pow stick?

thanks in advance, I can tell from reading the posts on this forum that if I have any hope of getting a good answer it is here.

-Jerry

Last edited by JR2; 01-02-2012 at 02:22 PM.
JR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

first off, going from a regular camber to a board with rocker is definitely different.

second with the rocker and magnetraction riding a shorter board is no problem and is better, im the same size as you and ride a 157 banana magic.

the la nina is made for riding off piste in the PACNW heavy crud snow. so it surfs over all that and gets out of the mashed potato powder better than most.

should have bought the dark series imo.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
JR2

Do you think I should try to sell the La Nina and get out of it what every $$$ I can (I have not ridden it - I might be able to get the shop to take it back with some modest restocking fee)? Or do you think it will still be a really good powder board for the 1-3-5 foot dumps that Mammoth usually gets and would even be super fun on those days as the mountain gets skied out and the runs become soft packed powder? Plus I have a back country trip near Telluride in a couple weeks (would this board be really good for that type of trip?).

If you were me and coming from a SuperModel X (and since I said I was open to and wanted to explore a slightly rockered board - that still has as much camber stability at high speeds as one can expect from a non traditional camber board) why you would pick the DS over the Jamie Lynn?

Is the Custom X a directional twin? or a true 1" style setback directional?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
SBK

Sounds like the shop mis-led you and should be willing to exchange the board at a minimum.

I just got a Jamie Lynn (gift) after doing research and some demoing. I'm older (47), 10 pounds heavier and probably a lot slower but wanted a groomer shredder and set-back board for powder. The T. Rice and TRS are nice but I wanted a more directional board. I rode those two in 157 and they were fine but after riding a Gnu Altered Genetics in 159 and liking the feel went for a 160 in the Jamie Lynn. I think the Gnu AG is a good alternative if the shop stocks and is willing to exchange. It is set back, mellow side cut and fairly damp plus also turns very well. The complaints usually concern it not being stiff enough for high speed.

FWIW I like my JL so far after two days in marginal conditions and wouldn't buy another board that didn't have magnetraction or something similar.

Hopefully you can work this out with the shop.
SBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
JR2

Yeah, I don't feel like the shop was dishonest or anything, I specifically said that I wanted something that was the closest Lib board to my SuperModel X and the person pointed me towards the La Nina. Sounds like that was just bad advice and that they were misinformed. I called Lib at the end of the day today and they actually pointed me towards the DS first and then the Jamie Lynn as an alternative if I wanted something a hair softer.

I wonder - does anyone know if my SuperModel X is a super/very directional board? I know my nose seems a lot longer than my tail. Did the shop actually guide me to the La Nina correctly as the board most like my SuperModel X?

Dag seems like I should have gone JL or DS - would either of those boards overlap tremendously with the La Nina - ie if I am forced to keep the La Nina. My inclination is to go either 158 DS or 160 JL anyone ridden both and could compare their subtle differences?

Thanks for all the replies so far - much appreciated.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

supermodel is definitely a directional board, 1 cm of taper and 1 inch set back.

the la nina just has a directional rocker profile that is quite extreme.

its not like they sent you way off, but they just went a little to far into a pow board i think.

i think it would be quite un-reasonable for a shop to not trade boards, especially if you havent ridden or mounted anything to it yet.

if not keep it, ride it, then if you don't think it will do what you need, buy another board

ive rode the '10 DS, it was a lot of fun, stable and held an edge well at speed. i rode it on a rainy day though so no pow.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
SBK

From what I read the DS is more of a park board but it seems like a lot of the boards are fairly versatile and individual preference is probably more important. There are probably several boards in the LT line that would serve your purpose.

This site has some good info.

Snowboard Reviews By Name A-Z

I wouldn't rule out the 161.5 T. Rice also, they change the shape of the longer ones to be more of a mostly mountain board.

Talking to the shop is probably the first line of business.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
JR2

Thanks SBK I just read all the reviews at thegoodride.com for the three Lib's in questions and I see for my riding style they seem to really prefer the Jamie Lynn. That sounds like what I should have gotten. Do you think a 160 would be fine? The tip and tail dimensions are the same as my SMX and the waist is about 1/2" wider the sidecut is about 1/4" narrower and what is interesting/odd is that the effective edge is 119 vs the the tapered SMX at 124.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
JR2

Reason I ask about the 160 is I usually feel comfortable getting that size when I also see a 162, 164 in the range of sizes - is there a reason they top out that model at a 160? It shouldn't be too much board for me to manage? Been coming down from 165, 163 to my current 160 over the last 20 years. I was fine with my 160 SMX - I know when I ride it I must ride it and be on it or it will take me for a ride. So I am comfortable with the philosophy.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
SBK

I have to admit that I haven't ridden that many boards to compare with. My previous board was a 161 Arbor Element, full camber. Great on groomers but a little hard to turn when it got bumpy or through trees and it you really had to lean back to keep it afloat in powder. Everyone, well almost, kept telling me to get a smaller board, 157 range, but when I rode several boards at that length compared to the 159 I just flat out preferred the longer board. I can't say that I regret it yet, the 160 Jamie Lynn turns much better than my previous board. I don't ride switch or hit the park, just go downhill as fast as my fear of falling will allow me.

It sounds like based on your riding style that a 160 would work. It will turn quickly if you want it to but it seems to lock in if you point it straight. It is supposed have less magnetraction than the other boards in the line but seemed to hold tight on a couple of icy patches I hit repeatedly Saturday night that might have previously landed me on my butt. Not sure why the limited sizes but it seems like the Phoenix boards are a somewhat specialized models designed by Lynn and Landvik with LibTech having several other all mountain boards in their line.

One concern on the Jamie Lynn is width, he likes a narrower board and supposedly doesn't mind a little overhang. I have size 10 boots and have a little overhang on the 160. If you have a wide foot the Skunk Ape might work and it also has a set back stance.

I honestly don't think you would be unhappy with any number of LibTech boards. I liked the T. Rice, TRS and my Jamie Lynn. I've heard good things about the Banana Magic too.

If you want to have a more agile playful board go 157 or so, if you want stability and speed go 160ish.

Curious to hear what you end up doing.

FWIW I like the graphic on the La Nina, just wasn't the right board for my needs. My GF bought my my board and she is picky about how things look and the only two that made the cut that were on my list were last year’s Jamie Lynn (which she got me) and this year Gnu Billy Goat. Last years and this year’s Jamie Lynn are supposed to be the same except the graphic.