My first board: Is there any reason not to... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My first board: Is there any reason not to...

...go with an intermediate board?
Im a newbie to snowboarding but i tried it for two years now and i really really like it. Is there any particular reason to start off with basic equipment and then move on to more advanced/expensive equipment?
I can find starter boards (and bindings) for quite cheap but i would like to star of with something more advanced.
After asking here in the forum about binding recommendations im leaning towards the higher end models. Same story with the board.
I want to get the Ride Antic as my first board (and medium flex bindings which i haven't yet concluded on). I ride all-mountain.
So, is there any reason to start off with something cheaper? Will it impact my learning curve if i start off with something more advanced? i.e. will it make learning harder? Is there any other reason why not to start with a more advanced kit?

Apologies for the n00b questions, i know you guys/girls have heard such questions a thousand times but i presume everyone started from somewhere at some point and i would also like to get the most out of my hard earned cash.
spinn3rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

No you'll be fine dude. My first setup was way beyond what I'd call beginner and If anything better gear is going to make it easier for you to learn so I wouldn't fret about buying a nice setup.

I would however caution you really research and look into what riding your going to do/what type boards fit your riding style since buying the wrong board in these regards will make trying to learn more difficult.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

You'll probably be fine. I learned how to board on a Palmer Carbon Circle and there were a lot of caught edges but in the long run I think it weeded out a lot of mistakes I could've gotten away with on a softer reverse camber board.
eek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the antic is a good board choice, you shouldn't have any problems, especially if you have been a few times already.

what you do want to stay away from is anything much stiffer than this. the stiff flex makes the board more responsive and harder to control for newbs.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your input guys. Im not fixed on any particular brand so other than the Ride Antic, which other board would you recommend? Something within the same price range as the Antic perhaps. I considered the K2 Raygun but again im leaning towards the Antic because of the sintered base. Not looking for anything stiffer, just something that will perform well and something i will be able to grow into.

So far i have ridden on some crappy rental Atomic boards which were never being taken care of, so i think anything after that will be a big improvement in terms of control/responsiveness.

Once again thanks for considering my question.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i still think the antic is the best at that price. pair it with k2 formula, ride revolt, or rome 390s and you got a pretty sick setup that will be good for a long time.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

It ALWAYS a good idea to buy quality equipment. You'll outgrow cheap quickly if you have any aptitude or stay with it for any appreciable amount of time. You can buy good gear like the stuff you're looking at regardless of skill level.

As mentioned above, the key is to get equipment that will help your learning curve, not hinder it so stay away from real stiff. You didn't mention what riding profile you fit - feestyle, or freeride, and that shoiuld determine the type of board you neet. Once you choode type, then be sure to size appropriately.

I'm a big fan of Ride, but haven't ridden any of their softer boards. There are lots of boards that can fit whatever style you choode. One board I'd recommend (because i demoed it last year and found it very easy to ride is the Rossi Angus Amptek.) It will also give you plenty of room to grow.
GorgeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'll give my opinion. Ride a used/low-end board for awhile until you find out what you actually like. If you actually get serious about this sport you'll want to upgrade sooner rather than later. First of all the antic is directional with directional rocker so riding switch on it can be a weird experience. I would save the money and pick up an '11 agenda/kink/crush
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

I enjoy freeride (all mountain). Not too interested in Freestyle nor i think i will be in the near future. Also not a big fan of carving either. I enjoy the mountain and im not into a great hurry to reach to its bottom
Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn3rs View Post
I enjoy freeride (all mountain). Not too interested in Freestyle nor i think i will be in the near future. Also not a big fan of carving either. I enjoy the mountain and im not into a great hurry to reach to its bottom
Then you don't really need a stiff responsive deck, something more foregiving would be better. If the Antic is anything like the old Concept TMS, the handling was razor sharp but you always had to be concentrating on riding because any small mistake could throw you into a scorpion
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote