What snowboard suits me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What snowboard suits me?

Hey guys

I have been snowboarding for a little while now and have decided its time to pick up my own board. Only problem is I know nothing about what board to get, all these different types of cambers and rockers are making my head hurt so I need a little help. I can link turns and do boxes and 180s and junk, but I want to really start to get better and learn new tricks like rails, aerials etc. What is the best snowboard to learn that stuff on? (preferably something cheap!)

I would also like to view some options here and ask to recommend another board for the "All around rider" something that I could go to the park with, then hit some speed on some trails. I was looking at the K2 brigade, where would that fall in a category of a board. I really want a board that I can learn some sick things on! Thanks!

I'm totally clueless as to what I'm doing and there aren't any local stores I can go to for help around me, PLEASE HELP

sincerely,
Idkwtfimdoing
madman32120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

how heavy are you?

what size are your feet?

What is your price absolute maximum and prefered price?

also what part of the country do you live in/where do you ride?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
how heavy are you?

what size are your feet?

What is your price absolute maximum and prefered price?

also what part of the country do you live in/where do you ride?
ahhhh sorry derp should have put that in, really sorry!

I am 5'11 and 130 pounds (tall and lanky haha) but I am still growing

I wear size 12 shoes but they are a bit roomy so size 11/11.5

I am open to any price but would like to keep it under 400

I live in Pennsylvania and ride in the Poconos
Old 01-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

ok first off check these boards out Blank Snowboards :: Making Snowboarding an Affordable Pastime probably the 151 rocker.

i bought one but havent ridden it yet, seems legit, medium soft flex and not too extreme of a rocker. ill be riding it next week and will post review.

or if you want a name brand

signal park flat 150-$370- this board is right in between rocker and camber. so it will still be stable at speed, and i cant find anything besides signal boards this cheap with sintered bases.

Ride Kink 152-$360-super durable, is a park board but not a complete noodle so still good for jumps and going fast.

Yes basic camrock 150-$380 camber between your feet and rocker outside the inserts, high quality construction.

the K2 brigade would be a pretty good snowboard, but is very beginner oriented, nothing wrong with that but these others will take you a good bit further. spend more to get more really.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
ok first off check these boards out Blank Snowboards :: Making Snowboarding an Affordable Pastime probably the 151 rocker.

i bought one but havent ridden it yet, seems legit, medium soft flex and not too extreme of a rocker. ill be riding it next week and will post review.

or if you want a name brand

signal park flat 150-$370- this board is right in between rocker and camber. so it will still be stable at speed, and i cant find anything besides signal boards this cheap with sintered bases.

Ride Kink 152-$360-super durable, is a park board but not a complete noodle so still good for jumps and going fast.

Yes basic camrock 150-$380 camber between your feet and rocker outside the inserts, high quality construction.

the K2 brigade would be a pretty good snowboard, but is very beginner oriented, nothing wrong with that but these others will take you a good bit further. spend more to get more really.

what is a "sintered base" I'm pretty noobish i have no idea what that is. You don't think any of those boards will be to hard for me to learn on?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

so the way a snow board base works wth wax-

as you glide accross the snow, you create friction, this heats up the base and melts the snow under you so you are basically riding on little water droplets, wax reduces the cohesion between your base and the water droplets.

Extruded bases(cheaper but easier to fix) are made from melted plastic beads forced through a hole to make the flat strip for the bottom of your board, they aren't very porous so they dont hold much wax. you can fill in gouges easily with ptex candle, just look it up on youtube

sintered bases take the same beads and press them together, the heat from pressing causes the beads to form together. this is much more porous and holds more wax. so the wax heats up as you ride and moves to the surface of the base and keeps a nice layer of wax in contact to the snow making you ride faster. filling in gouges is much trickier with ptex ribbon and better left to a pro.

tl:dr- sintered bases are faster but you have to wax them a lot. extruded bases are slower but easier to fix.

no all of these boards are softer flex, which i easier. and also have the contact points lifted out of the snow for less catchy ride. they will be great for learning to ride in general and then also perfect for progressing in the park.

well the signal park flat doesn't lift the contact points but the signal park rocker does. the flat will give you better high speed stability though.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

are you planning progression or just something you can just buy and ride into the ground?
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
so the way a snow board base works wth wax-

as you glide accross the snow, you create friction, this heats up the base and melts the snow under you so you are basically riding on little water droplets, wax reduces the cohesion between your base and the water droplets.

Extruded bases(cheaper but easier to fix) are made from melted plastic beads forced through a hole to make the flat strip for the bottom of your board, they aren't very porous so they dont hold much wax. you can fill in gouges easily with ptex candle, just look it up on youtube

sintered bases take the same beads and press them together, the heat from pressing causes the beads to form together. this is much more porous and holds more wax. so the wax heats up as you ride and moves to the surface of the base and keeps a nice layer of wax in contact to the snow making you ride faster. filling in gouges is much trickier with ptex ribbon and better left to a pro.

tl:dr- sintered bases are faster but you have to wax them a lot. extruded bases are slower but easier to fix.

no all of these boards are softer flex, which i easier. and also have the contact points lifted out of the snow for less catchy ride. they will be great for learning to ride in general and then also perfect for progressing in the park.

well the signal park flat doesn't lift the contact points but the signal park rocker does. the flat will give you better high speed stability though.
So what do you think is the best matchup for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefutui2e View Post
are you planning progression or just something you can just buy and ride into the ground?
Progression definitely, i want something I can be riding for a long time
Old 01-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman32120 View Post
So what do you think is the best matchup for me?

Progression definitely, i want something I can be riding for a long time
something with an extruded base i would say. If you're just starting out, you really won't tell the difference between the two. You can only start to tell the difference when you are bombing at a big mountain. Go for something reliable and easy to maintain, and still works like a dream.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

sorry, i mean progression as in...do you plan for this to be the last snowboard you'll ever buy (until it becomes unrideable, obviously)?

since you're somewhat of a beginner the boards mentioned earlier are great to learn and progress on but you might want something else later on as you develop your riding and figure out what you wanna be doing depending on how serious you are about it. if you fit this, you can probably pick up one of them, maybe last season's, on the cheap, ride your money's worth in terms of rentals saved, then pick an upgrade next year once you figure yourself out.

otherwise, you can probably just splurge a little bit and get an upper-mid-priced deck that won't disappoint and will last you for a long time depending on how you treat it. unfortunately i'm not in a position to help with this (others definitely are) and most recommendations would be based on what i read from others so you're better off researching and making your own conclusions.
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote