Choosing A Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Choosing A Board

I've been doing a lot of research for the past couple weeks looking for a new board. I want a fun board that can hit the park, jumps, natural features, but something thats still soft enough that I can butter around on. I don't want to to be too unstable when I'm just riding down the hill. I will be riding mostly on the icy slops of the NY and other north eastern states. I have narrowed my decision down to a few boards but I am very open for suggestions. Anything under $600 for the board is within my price range, but the lower the better .

Boards:
NS EVO
NS Proto CT
Lib Tech Attack Banana or Skate Banana
GNU Rider's Choice or Park Pickle

I have read A LOT of reviews on all of these boards. I have been leaning towards NS. People seem to think that the EVO is too soft and the Proto is too stiff, but the EVO is still the most fun board they've ridden. I love the graphics on the Attack Banana, but it seems like a stiffer board. The skate banana just seems like it's very hyped up and won't perform on the slopes outside of the park. Rider's choice and Park pickle - I've done the least about of research on these boards. Seem very similar to skate banana other than asymmetrical sidecut which I'm not too big of a fan of although the idea sounds right.

Next thing I can't decide would be the board sizing. The Mervin and NS boards offer different sizes and I have heard the NS boards ride longer. I am:
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 200 lbs - Athletic
Size: 10.5 Boots

I have been looking at a 157cm for a NS board or a 159cm for Lib Tech, but I still question it.

I'm looking to get Rome 390 Boss Bindings and I am undecided on boots.

Thanks for reading. I know these posts get annoying but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Zips400H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would go with the proto ct if you can still find one. I have one in a 154 and it destroys everything. Very poppy. Stable at high speeds and holds a good edge on ice(i to ride on the ice coast). Not as good as magnetraction for ice but good enough. The attack banana will be easier to press though.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd take a Serious look at Flow Vever or Era. The sidecuts on those grip almost as well as Arbor Griptech, speaking of throw a Blacklist in your list, and it is wicked smooth. Flows are super well designed boards.

Search here for the Blacklist, you'll see plenty of explanation why you probably want one.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

bump this thread

I am in the same boat and am trying to decide between the same boards....o im also the same weight haha just slightly taller (6'3")
jbs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs101 View Post
bump this thread

I am in the same boat and am trying to decide between the same boards....o im also the same weight haha just slightly taller (6'3")
Well your height doesn't change things. So same things.

I guess add a Signal Omni and mabye the Park Flat.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

bump - what did you get and how do you like it?

I am in a similar position, looking for a board to hit resort and slack, icy blacks and the park. I love bc powder (and have a NS split for this, I love it!) but want to replace my solid Turbo Dream.

The TD is lotsa fun but disappoints on the steep ice due to detuned edges for the park. If it's icy, I prefer rails, boxes, and jumps over runs, but I also ride with skiers who are OK on ice, so I'd like to be able to hang with them and trust my edges more. Currently, I feel very insecure on my TD unless I sharpen edges specifically - but then the park sucks

My list is also very similar: Attack Banana, Park Pickle. After reading here, I am considering the Blacklist too. I love NS boards (Raptor, Heritage), and would consider Evo, but expect Magne will be better for me on ice even when edges are dull (which would be good for the park).

Of all these, I lean to the Attack or the Park Pickle. I am a bit worried because I think they have finger joins in the core - I like eco and sustainable, but want a solid core as I plan this to be a quiver board for many years... And I don't think they have full metal edges, right

Recommendations and feedback are greatly appreciated

My basics:
  • 175 lbs +/- 5 (fluctuate
  • Boots 11.5
  • Ride pow, blacks, park (mini + med rails, boxes and jumps, would like to go bigger this year)
  • I am also loking to improve my spins - 15+ yrs ago my biggest one was 540 on a 153 freetyle board, now I would be happy with 3s

Thanks!
lernr is offline   Reply With Quote