Good Set up for a big guy?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Good Set up for a big guy??

Good Day All!

Just starting out with snowboarding this year, never skied in my life and tried snowboarding once which was a disaster. This year I’ve picked a season pass to BM (Ontario) and a beginner package which I took out to board with 4 times and I can definitely see that I am getting better but I think that my equipment is not tweaked correctly for my size, thus I’ve decided to seek help from the Pros.

My Stats:
6’1
250-260 lb
Size 13 shoe

Here is my current Setup:

Board: LAMAR DISTORTION CAP MEN'S 1
SNOWBOARD 163 – I believe that width is 27 or 27.2

Bindings: SAPIENT SLOPESTYLE MEN'S SNOW
BINDINGS BLACK L/XL (9-14)

Boots: BURTON INVADER MEN'S SNOW BOOTS BLACK/WHITE SZ 15

Issues:
-First I know that I didn’t get the best board there is, but I was more looking for a board that will be wide enough and long enough, not cost $800. Currently I feel that the board is kinda heavy and stiff which as far as I know, is not the best combo for a beginner, any recommendations on a board/brand that fill be ideal (or close to it) for my size?

Second, my boots, first I’ve ordered EVOL CLASSIC MEN'S Size 13 and they were to small. I went in to a sport check and asked for the biggest size boots they had, they gave me the Invaders in size 14, those still didn’t fit. So I have ordered Invader’s size 15 and they seem to fit nicely, the only issue is that they are enormous which leads to more heel and toe drag. Are all boots like that? I fit perfectly in size 13 everything, my skates are size 12, any recommendations for other brands I might wanna try?

Doesn’t seem I have any issues with the bindings, but something tells me they won’t last long.

Any kind of help and input are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by valerka; 01-04-2012 at 01:40 PM.
valerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Are you experiencing toe or heel drag or do you just see that they overhang? I'm 250 and ride a 163 wide. I don't really even need a wide but I love this board. Ride what you have and upgrade as things break or you want something new.
Steve
Kapn.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

ne boots are suppose to fit tightly, your toe should just barely be touching the end of the boot and everything should feel to tight but not painful. after the first couple times out they will break in and pack out, getting looser.

second, the length of the board is about right but you are gonna need a Wide board to prevent toe drag.

Suggestions:
Burton- Blunt or Honcho Wide 162-$380
K2- Raygun wide 164 $380
Ride Antic wide162 $400
Salomon Riot 163$400
Yes-basic 163Wide-$380

not sure what the costs are in canadian. you should be able to find some of those either at a store or online
Old 01-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't there is much drag but the overhang from the front is pretty noticeable.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerka View Post
I don't there is much drag but the overhang from the front is pretty noticeable.
That's what I figured you were saying. All my boards have overhang but I don't get drag. Strap your boot in and put the board with boot on a table(or corner of the table). Rock the board on either the toe or heel edge so you get an idea of how hard of a turn it would take to make the heel or toe touch. It's probably enormous. I bet, if you ride it, you never get any drag. If you do, you'll KNOW it! It usually totally washes out.
Steve
Kapn.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

check on eBay for some deals on wide boards that are better quality than your Lamar if you are looking to upgrade. As some people have said toe and heel drag is pretty easy to discover when you ride. Some boards that are goodfor big guys are, lib tech skunk ape, gnu carbon credit, gnu riders choice, K2 slayblade, Never Summer Heritage X, Nitro Magnum, there ard plenty of options to look into that would suit your needs, and i always do a ton of research before coming to a final decision.

Look at online sales eBay etc to find good deals, if buying second hand just be careful and inspect if possible. Geartrade dot com is a good place to look also. bindings IMO are pretty damn important when pairing with a stiff board, if you have a stiff board with butter bindings you wont get the most out of it and will regret what you bought. Look into Ride El Heffe, Ride SPI, Ride Double Agents, Rome Arsenals, Rome Targas, Nitro (Phantoms i think), Burton C60, Burton C02 ( both discontinued i believe). Anyways hope that helps a bit.

Boots im not very familiar with whats stiffest, i wear Vans Jamie Lynns (2010) and they are pretty stiff and comfy. Also i wear a 14/15 nike and my Vans is a 13 so it may be smaller for you.

Ohh any my setups are Gnu Riders Choice 166W with rome Targas and a Ride 168W Berzerker with El Heffe Bindings. (I am 6'11 270lbs size 14 shoe
Old 01-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

There is a thread started for some low pro boots Reduced Footprint Boots
Rider161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

When you have over hang you will notice it on super steep icy terrain. You try to put an edge in and your toes hit and wash your board out. So you are flying down the slope mach 10 and not able to stop wishing you had an axe to arrest yourself. Not the way you want to get down a slope
snowvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the help fellas I guess it will be by the way of trial and error to choose the right set-up, I will definitely look in to the suggested brands/models.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerka View Post
Good Day All!

Just starting out with snowboarding this year, never skied in my life and tried snowboarding once which was a disaster. This year Iíve picked a season pass to BM (Ontario) and a beginner package which I took out to board with 4 times and I can definitely see that I am getting better but I think that my equipment is not tweaked correctly for my size, thus Iíve decided to seek help from the Pros.

My Stats:
6í1
250-260 lb
Size 13 shoe

Here is my current Setup:

Board: LAMAR DISTORTION CAP MEN'S 1
SNOWBOARD 163 Ė I believe that width is 27 or 27.2

Bindings: SAPIENT SLOPESTYLE MEN'S SNOW
BINDINGS BLACK L/XL (9-14)

Boots: BURTON INVADER MEN'S SNOW BOOTS BLACK/WHITE SZ 15

Issues:
-First I know that I didnít get the best board there is, but I was more looking for a board that will be wide enough and long enough, not cost $800. Currently I feel that the board is kinda heavy and stiff which as far as I know, is not the best combo for a beginner, any recommendations on a board/brand that fill be ideal (or close to it) for my size?

Second, my boots, first Iíve ordered EVOL CLASSIC MEN'S Size 13 and they were to small. I went in to a sport check and asked for the biggest size boots they had, they gave me the Invaders in size 14, those still didnít fit. So I have ordered Invaderís size 15 and they seem to fit nicely, the only issue is that they are enormous which leads to more heel and toe drag. Are all boots like that? I fit perfectly in size 13 everything, my skates are size 12, any recommendations for other brands I might wanna try?

Doesnít seem I have any issues with the bindings, but something tells me they wonít last long.

Any kind of help and input are greatly appreciated!
Unless you are just spinning tricks in the park, I'd typically recommend something longer and around 28cm at the waist. This will usually be greatly dependent on riding style and the mountain you usually ride. You're welcome to call or e-mail if you want my detailed analysis/recommendations.
http://www.donek.com/
877.53.donek
donek is offline   Reply With Quote