Lib Tech TRS C2-BTX - Skill level required? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lib Tech TRS C2-BTX - Skill level required?

Hi All,

I'm heading over to Whistler for my third snowboarding holiday in March. I've finally decided to bite the bulet and buy my equipment after dishing out too much money on poor rental equipment. I bought and used a pair of Salomon Synapse boots (Size 9.5 US) last season and a week ago picked up some new Union Atlas L/XL (11/12) bindings in the sales.

I'm only going to go snowboarding for one, maybe two weeks a year on average. I will also spend most of my time on piste but will start to hit the park and off piste a bit going forwards. However, most of my time will continue to be spent on piste.

Will the Lib Tech TRS be a good board given my experience? I would like a board I can progress on but will it be too difficult for someone with only a few weeks experience? I've checked out the reviews which have all been very positive and apparently it's not as easy to catch edges which could come in handy for riding flat on those narrow green runs. Some shop assistants have told me that I'll be fine but some have said it will be a difficult ride and suggested a Skate Banana. I'm a little skeptical of the Banana given I'll spend most time on piste.

Alternatively I can pick up a K2 Raygun for 220 in the sales and potentially look to upgrade that in a few years. Most of my friends are more experienced than me so I'll need something that will enable me to keep pushing my ability and keep up with them on the slopes!

Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks
appcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by appcal View Post
Hi All,

I'm heading over to Whistler for my third snowboarding holiday in March. I've finally decided to bite the bulet and buy my equipment after dishing out too much money on poor rental equipment. I bought and used a pair of Salomon Synapse boots (Size 9.5 US) last season and a week ago picked up some new Union Atlas L/XL (11/12) bindings in the sales.

I'm only going to go snowboarding for one, maybe two weeks a year on average. I will also spend most of my time on piste but will start to hit the park and off piste a bit going forwards. However, most of my time will continue to be spent on piste.

Alternatively I can pick up a K2 Raygun for 220 in the sales and potentially look to upgrade that in a few years. Most of my friends are more experienced than me so I'll need something that will enable me to keep pushing my ability and keep up with them on the slopes!

Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks
When in doubt, always buy last year's equipment. There is rarely ever a good reason to pay full price for the latest hyped board. BurtonAvenger (he runs angrysnowboarder.com) has said that the K2 Raygun is a very good board for someone to progress on from beginner to expert. Of course he's just some random stranger on the internet, why would you listen to him... oh wait
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The TRS would be a pretty good board for you, and I think you'd like it better than the bannana for what you describe. It's a good "do everything board" that won't be hard to learn on but is good enought to allow you to progress as you get better.

However, the Raygun would be good as well, so if you would like to save a little money that would be a great option as well.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

TRS or Raygun will rock your world. Just depends whether you like magnetraction or not.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Flat camber is super easy to learn on. Get the Raygun.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the trs c2 is one of the most forgiving boards i have ever been on, and is very easy to initiate turns on. Never been on the raygun so can't comment.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
SBK

Newly converted fan of magmetraction, think it is worthwhile if you ever hit icy conditions.

I demo'd a TRS briefly and thought it was a great board, very forgiving. The board I demo'd belonged to a Lib Tech employee who was apparently a pretty serious rider so it is definitely something you can use as you improve.
SBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For me personally, I would like the TRS better. I've never ridden one, but I own a similar board (TRice) and have been on the GNU Riders Choice which is similar. I've also been on the Raygun for a day and like it, but felt like the C2 on the lib tech carved better than the flat camber...just my opinion though. Both would be good boards and the Raygun definitely a better value for someone still getting into the sport.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

I would get the Raygun. It will be more stable flat basing and be easier to learn on. As you progress it should still provide a fun ride. I would also look into getting the Atlas binding in a Medium unless salomon boots run big and wide.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
TRS or Raygun will rock your world. Just depends whether you like magnetraction or not.
What's not to like?
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote