Downside of a Wide board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
LoneWolf

Default Downside of a Wide board?

Hey guys, got ANOTHER question for you!

Basically is there a downside to a wide board versus a standard width board?

I wear a size 11 boot so I'm right on the boarder from what I can tell. Are wider boards harder to turn or anything? Anyone ride both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Slower edge to edge and a bit heavier. That's all I can think of.
"its ppl like you, that I would "impact damage" your face if i ever saw you
keep your mouth shut. one more time, please and thank you." -user: chingy_
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
Slower edge to edge and a bit heavier. That's all I can think of.
I think that depends on what wide board you ride. It may be a general rule, but like all rules, can be broken. Wearing a size 11 too, I went from a regular board to a wide board (Ride Brushie to Ride Yukon) and the Yukon is faster in all aspects. Demo some if you still have some season left or rent some if you have the cash. I think you'll be surprised.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
LoneWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
I think that depends on what wide board you ride. It may be a general rule, but like all rules, can be broken. Wearing a size 11 too, I went from a regular board to a wide board (Ride Brushie to Ride Yukon) and the Yukon is faster in all aspects. Demo some if you still have some season left or rent some if you have the cash. I think you'll be surprised.
Did you ever have any issues with toe or heel drag on the thinner board?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
ribuck97

I've actually gone wide to mid-wide.

When I first went shopping (not knowing any better) two shops both recommended wide boards with my size 11s. I ended up with a 158 Ride Fleetwood which sits at 265 cm waist width.

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I was forced to by another board. I read posts on here and elsewhere and a mid-wide in the 250-260 waist width range for normal, non-hard carving riders was a recommended setup. So I ran across a great end of season deal on an Arbor Element 161 which measures 254. Even though the 161 was longer, the weight loss (either due to board composition or the elimination of the board material made the board feel much snappier and controllable, as a result quicker, easier turns. If that makes any sense. How I felt on it however, might be different than how you would feel. I just know that the Arbor feels damn light though.

I run 24/-6 on my angles with 32 Prion size 11s and with boots buckled in it looks like the toe and heel angles hit like 80 degrees. I know I'll probably never ride that steep of a carve.

Also, someone else could confirm this, but I don't see how waist width would matter much if its a park board. Meaning that I only think it plays a huge role in the powder/carving/freeride arena.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Metalhead505

There is no down fall to a wide board, maybe a little heavier, but hell if you need it then you need it, it beats having toe drag and if you have size 11 like me wicth you do you should get a wide board.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
Did you ever have any issues with toe or heel drag on the thinner board?
Only on the odd occasion, but that was enough for me. I only freeride so can't answer how it will affect park.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
LoneWolf

Hey thanks for all the great input guys! I feel much less scared of wide boards now.
Or more specifically "mid" wide boards at least. I'm quite sure I don't need a full wide, but something in the 25.5 area should be good.

Hey Ribuk that Arbor Element board looks pretty sweet. I just looked at one yesterday at Sports Chalet for 30% off. I didn't know enough about it so I was a little tentative to get it. Actually all those Arbor boards look really nice. I really like that all wood\bamboo grain.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
ribuck97

The Arbors are nice till you get a nick/scratch in the top! For a mid 30s guy like me, seem to fit more than something with loud graphics...

What I found is that the tail seems stiffer than the Ride Fleetwood I had just from my poor attempts to learn how to ollie on it. But man I had so much fun bombing runs at high speed on the packed pow.

I was debating between a few different boards... really wanted to find a libtech TRS MTX (BT) but no luck in any shops... Then the usual Burton Custom, Rome Anthem/Flag, and a K2 Podium... Just happened to walk into a major outdoor retailer and the Arbor was on clearance (along with a duplicate 158 fleetwood so I could compare the two) for $75 less than the Custom/Anthem I couldn't pass it up.