What kinda board would I need? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What kinda board would I need?

Hey guys,

First of all, I'm sorry for probably being the 10000th idiot coming up with such a thread, but in my case I would like some help on choosing a board.

Let me explain... Just got back from Austria, it was awesome and all that but, as I experienced last year, the rental boards were not wide enough for my huuuuuge feet(EU size 48.5, according to some website that would be US 14.6...) Well you probably get the problem already anyway; toe drag(that's what it's called, right?). Last year it wasn't such a problem but now I do more carving and steeper slopes it gets kind of annoying to lose control over your board and faceplant into some icy slope. Rentals suck for not caring about me.

So, I'd probably need a freeride board, though I think I'd prefer allmountain as I would love to ride pow aswel as do some park stuff. What do you think would be some good boards for me? I do not own a money-shitting donkey or something like that, I think the most I'd pay for a board(without bindings etc) would be 400EUROS, so that would be around 500USD. Preferably a bit cheaper though(but it also depends on how far I can get my parents ghehe).

I know I am not going to get a straight answer as to which board I should choose, but some suggestions as to what brands I should avoid and what brands are decent would be great. Are there allmountain boards wide enough for my feet? Also, if you happen to be from the Netherlands, recommending a good board shop would be much appreciate too. And as for stance, I prefer not to have my back foot pointing all the way forward, just slightly forward is okay with me, but that would'nt be much of a difference compared to being parallel to the board.

Thanks in advance guys, and I am sorry for probably sounding stupid. I didn't know what else to do than to go here though...
Hidde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

weight and height would be good to know
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hmm yeah forgot about that.

1.95m tall and I weigh about 82 kilos(planning on gaining a bit though).
Old 01-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you need a wide snowboard. so ask the shop for them

here would be my choices in order. they will all be able to to what you want. take a look at the company websites and youtube reviews for more info.

signal omni 162 wide$480

ride machete or antic 161Wide $400-$440

rossignol one magtek 161wide $450

salomon grip 162 wide $450

also most people in the states ride duck footed. with the back foot angled backwards and front foot angled forwards.

Last edited by Riley212; 01-05-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks. Using some calcullator it said a 164w would be ideal. Came across this Burton Bullet 164W then: Burton Bullet Snowboard - Snowboard Shop > Snowboards > Men's Snowboards. Not even that expensive...

Well I guess I'll head for Amsterdam and check for some boards there. I guess I'm looking for something around 164W then. Any brands I would really need to avoid? Or aren't there really "crap" brands in snowboarding? :P
Old 01-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

with a lot of the newer boards it is ok to ride them a few cm shorter; the rocker will float you in powder better than a camber board.

all of the boards i mentioned are like that.

the burton bullet is a beginner board, its not crap, but it will not match your skills in a season. a better option would be the honcho or hero. but those would still not be my first choices.

You want a board with these characteristics:

160-163cm length
Wide
Some sort of reverse camber and regular camber or flat camber combination.
a little stiffer than medium stiffness say 5-6 out of ten.

expect to pay $400-$500 for a good one. much cheaper than that and they will be entry level/beginner boards or park/jib boards.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you Plan on gaining weight the 162w Signal Omni sounds great for you. It's one of the few boards on the market i can persoannly ride everywhere and not feel like the board is getting in the way.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hmm, have been searching that one but it seems as if they only sell those in the USA? Couldn't find a Dutch dealer and don't feel like importing a board for probably waaaay to much money(shipping + a shitload of customs...) that I haven't even been able to see IRL...

Would something like the Bullet really limit the possibilities in time?/

Edit: oh and you recommend 160-163. Does that mean you think 164w would be too big?

Edit2: what about the K2 Raygun 164W? :P Blue Tomato Shop | K2 Raygun 164 wide 11/12 Snowboard | K2 | Freestyle+Freeride |*Snowboards

Last edited by Hidde; 01-05-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: needed to add something
Old 01-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidde View Post
Hmm, have been searching that one but it seems as if they only sell those in the USA? Couldn't find a Dutch dealer and don't feel like importing a board for probably waaaay to much money(shipping + a shitload of customs...) that I haven't even been able to see IRL...

Would something like the Bullet really limit the possibilities in time?/

Edit: oh and you recommend 160-163. Does that mean you think 164w would be too big?

Edit2: what about the K2 Raygun 164W? :P Blue Tomato Shop | K2 Raygun 164 wide 11/12 Snowboard | K2 | Freestyle+Freeride |*Snowboards
The Euro HQ is in the Netherlands... Shoot em an email.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the k2 raygun woulds be better than the bullet. but the step up to the K2 lifelike would be a better option. it is definitely worth the extra $50