Freeride board to replace ancient K2 Recon - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Freeride board to replace ancient K2 Recon

Hi all,

I am sorry for the boring question, I am sure it is repeated all the time.

I have been boarding for about 17 years I think, I also ski from time to time. Discomfort, weak legs and getting old and tired of sitting in the snow doing up my bindings has had me skiing more and more as the years go by. I went to Swizerland over the Christmas hols and fell back in love with boarding.

I ride an ancient K2 Recon 161 with drake matrix bindings. I have never found snowboarding particurlaly painless but figured the pain was worth it. This week I rode my brothers 154 ride board with lower salamon bindings and it was a bit of a revelation more comfort plenty of speed faster turns and no problem floating in powder.

I am 5 foot 10 (177cm) and 9.5 stone (133 lbs 60KG) and 33 years old.

I decided to buy a new board when I got back but am bewildered by all the new tech! No wonder some people can get away with murder pressing their boards where my stiff as hell deck is very unforgiving. (yes I know a new board will not transform me into a jib hero!).

I don't jump or jib, could get into the odd flat land trick if they were a bit easier though. I tend to run groomers and powder, if it is end of season ice I would ski instead probably. I want something forgiving (not twitchy) fairly fast and good in powder.
I was thinking of going a fair bit shorter than my current 161, around the 155 - 157 mark or even shorter??

So what should I buy, money is not a problem really as it will be with me for a fair few years.

Libtech Travis rice (maybe too hard work I want to chill a bit not charge hard all day) or attack banana or dark series
Bataleon of some sort, (I like their inovative triple angled base idea but can't find much about them)
Burton barracuda (too powder based?)
Never Summer f1 premiere or raptor (too stiff)
arbor element or roundhouse

I am unlikley to be able to test anything befor buying as I tend to board in a small swiss resort renowned for its back country skiing which is ski focused and has abou5t 5 boards in its two shops!

Any help would be great

Last edited by wingnutLP; 01-05-2012 at 01:39 PM.
wingnutLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 03:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

100 views and no replies.

Did I make some kind of awful snowboarding faux pas by mentioning the ski word?!!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutLP View Post
100 views and no replies.

Did I make some kind of awful snowboarding faux pas by mentioning the ski word?!!
yep.

so fwiw anyone can tell you that if you can do flatland tricks, you can do them on any board, but if you are not already practiced, a pow/steeps board like the trice or NS's you mentioned would all be way too stiff. on the other hand if you got a rockered out jib board that presses easily, those rocker shapes naturally float well in pow. however no board that is real soft and easy to press is going to remain stiff at speed by any means.

give up on your flatland dreams completely and get a bomber board, your already on the right track just go research teh decks.

or

get an all mountain deck which will be able to handle everything but certainly wont perform specific tasks as well as your raptor or trice.

or

get 2 decks, a noodle and bomber.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I want to go for something on the soft side but not a noodle. I will give that a try for a bit and if needed I will get a second pure bomber board.

So for a mid soft rocker board Lib tech attack banana seems like a good option, are there any others I should consider?

And length wise for my weight and height 156 or as low as 153 as I am quite light?
Old 01-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i would get one in that range yes. the attack banana is a pretty good choice

softer all mountain boards:

neversummer SL

Arbor coda

Signal Omni

ride antic

rome agent rocker

Last edited by Riley212; 01-08-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Or get the stiff board and gain 100lbs to make it a noodle
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Since you're in Switzerland, how about Nidecker ?

Megalight and Ultralight - although they are freeride/pow boards, they are not to stiff and handled well on groomers when I had a chance to try one. Great to turn and carve. I'm not an experienced rider either.

I'm about your size (except around 65kg) and the 158 worked great for me.

Last edited by ju87; 01-08-2012 at 08:59 PM.
ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote