First board purchase - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First board purchase

Hey guys,lookin to purchase my first board. I am around 5 foot 9+ and weigh around 190. I'm lookin for a good, but not terribly expensive rocker board. Any suggestions, please feel free to link them.
CU'sRango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

What is your price range? Not terribly expensive doesn't narrow it down enough for suggestions
Old 01-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well, being a college student, I don't want to spend more than 450
Old 01-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well if your not including bindings I would seriously recommend the arbor westmark. I just bought that board for this year and I am already in love with it. You would probably be looking at a longer board than the 153cm that I ride but it handles perfectly and the medium flex is perfect. I managed to snag mine for $340 on a 20% off sale at some website. It usually runs about $420. Check it out
Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'd say the Rome Garage Rocker sounds like a good fit. Maybe 154-6cm? What kind of riding do you like to do? And the general consensus is that hybrid rockers perform better than true rocker.
ColoRADical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm generally gonna be doing all mountain, maybe eventually transition to freestyle.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you can find one on the classifieds/craigslist a Never Summer SL would be good for all mountain. Lib Tech makes some pretty sick decks, just look for C2 Banana power.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

i have last year's westmark and it's a great board that can do everything pretty well. if you decide to go the freestyle route it'll be great; if you just go the freeride route it'll also handle well. it'll do a bit more than survive on sketchier terrain too. so yeah, if you only want to ever need one board that'll probably be it. you can still snag this for about $350 if you find it.

if you have bigger feet, i've heard good things about the blacklist (i think that was the name), which is the same board as the westmark but wider. reviews say that it rides even better though. can't really say much about that. this instructor i rode with got the revolver (wider version of the evo) even though he didn't need to because he felt it rode more "clean." but it only came out this year, so if you want one now expect to pay retail price for it (~$450).

only bad thing about arbor is that their durability seems suspect. i got my westmark last year and granted i ride really rough and i don't mind going over thin cover, taking closed trails, and i also live on the east coast, but it seems like the top sheet and the base seem more easily damaged. meanwhile, my friend rode his zeppelin for 4-5 years and it doesn't look that bad at all, and he rides just as rough as i do. i thought it was just me but seems like a few people share this opinion.
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

=Thanks for all the info guys! I'll keep that in mind when I go to purchase. But for now, I've worked out, cause of school and how much I'm boarding, it's cheaper just to rent (and I can get my hands on a Burton Process Flying V for $25 as a rental which is a sick deal) but I really appreciate it!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU'sRango View Post
=Thanks for all the info guys! I'll keep that in mind when I go to purchase. But for now, I've worked out, cause of school and how much I'm boarding, it's cheaper just to rent (and I can get my hands on a Burton Process Flying V for $25 as a rental which is a sick deal) but I really appreciate it!
That's a pretty good deal. Try renting a few different sizes to find out what sizing you like and go from there.