Arbor base not holding wax so well? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Arbor base not holding wax so well?

Anybody else notice their Arbor base not holding a hot wax so well? What have other people's experiences with Arbor bases been like?

So, I deep soak waxed a new Arbor Blacklist 4x before riding it the first time. I used Dakine all-temp wax, and the board's topsheet felt warm but not uncomfortably hot afterwards. After the first 6 hours of riding man-made stuff a lot of the base wax was gone from along the edges to ~2 inches inward. Even though I rode the board pretty hard that day, but didn't expect all the wax to be totally gone in some spots...chalky white, dried out spots with raised base material that actually felt rough to the touch. After letting the board air dry >24 hours, I waxed again 1x with extra wax into the base edges. Day 2 after just 2 hours of riding slush I rechecked the base and saw wax was already gone from along the edges to about a quarter inch inward. Normal for Arbor?
borborygmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Where do you ride?

Even after a fresh wax one day will cause the base area between my bindings to get that dried out look. Figured it's normal for the ice coast.
basso4735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmii View Post
After the first 6 hours of riding man-made stuff a lot of the base wax was gone from along the edges to ~2 inches inward.

Day 2 after just 2 hours of riding slush I rechecked the base and saw wax was already gone from along the edges to about a quarter inch inward.
While man-made snow is very abrasive, slush is much worse. Bigger ice crystals form in the wet.

I'd try a different wax before I blamed the base. Try a harder cold temp wax for durability.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah that is what happens when you ride man-made snow or warmer temp I use all temp wax and just dont scrape as much off. What I mean by this is I just take off the super ruff wax on the edges and ride it that way. With my hartels hot sauce wax it did last longer then my gnu banana all temp wax.
readimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

is it a sintered base? or extruded?
sintered bases will leech their wax quicker than extuded bases.... meaning more waxing.

tis pretty common to wax your board and see grainyness the first day.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That happened to me on 4-6 runs on manmade with a never summer base. I wouldn't worry about it Just keep waxing it
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
That happened to me on 4-6 runs on manmade with a never summer base. I wouldn't worry about it Just keep waxing it
4-6 runs? I ride an NS here on the Ice Coast, seems all I ever see is manmade and boiler plate. I get about a day or 2 out of a wax (averaging a full weekend day and then about 4 hours of mid-week night riding) After that, I generally wax again before the next weekend, but I can get another session of night riding in if necessary.

By contrast, I've never had to wax on my annual week-long trip out west to ride powder. 6 straight days and my base looks the same as day 1.

I use Kuu cold temp graphite
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
4-6 runs? I ride an NS here on the Ice Coast, seems all I ever see is manmade and boiler plate. I get about a day or 2 out of a wax (averaging a full weekend day and then about 4 hours of mid-week night riding) After that, I generally wax again before the next weekend, but I can get another session of night riding in if necessary.

By contrast, I've never had to wax on my annual week-long trip out west to ride powder. 6 straight days and my base looks the same as day 1.

I use Kuu cold temp graphite
I didn't say I needed to wax it again. I said I started to see drying out. I ran it another day for a total of 2
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i would try using a colder wax on your edges while using whatever temp specific wax in the middle of your board. warm and all temp waxes tend to be softer then a cold wax which is a bit harder. that is also why cold waxes are harder to scrape then warmer ones. the cold wax in the edges will take more effort to dry out and wont make a difference in speed whatever the temp of the snow is since theres not much board actually touching the snow when you are on edge while carving.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The conditions the majority of us are seeing right now are just hell on wax. With last year's conditions, I was waxing every 7-8 days on the snow or so. I probably should've waxed a little more, but I was having too much fun actually riding. I'm waxing about every 2 days now.