New board question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New board question

I'm very new to snowboarding (just learning how to carve), and I just bought my first new board. I bought a 151 Ride Rapture. Here's my question... I'm 5'5", 110, size 7 foot, female (obviously?) and the guy at the local shop talked me into the 151 because it would be more stable. Stability is pretty darn important to me, as I caught a pretty bad edge a few years ago, and broke both bones in my arm. The old board I was riding was a 10 year old, hand me down Ride Control 149. It was heavy, and stiff, and I felt like I was trying to manhandle it. The more I keep perusing these forums, I'm wondering if the board I bought is a tad large? The only other size it comes in is a 147, which I wonder if that's too small. I haven't taken the board out of the plastic yet, as I just bought it 3 days ago. Please advise. Thanks!
forestfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ya for your size, getting the 147 would be better.

What getting a longer, more stiff board does is it gives better stability at faster speeds. Since you're just starting out you won't really need this in a board.

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad crash. The edge catching which flipped you has more to do with rider error. When you're starting out, part of learning how to snowboard is learning how your edges behave on snow. In your case as you found out, it can be really painful...

Your older board was also most likely traditional camber which isn't nearly as friendly to a new rider as a board with rocker is. With a rockered board the contact points are raised slightly so they're less prone to catching and making you scorpion onto your face and such. The thing is you might also find them more "unstable" than a cambered board as you progress. At least that's how I feel, but I haven't hopped on a board with just rocker for a few years now. They're most likely much more dialed in now.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. That all makes sense. I'll be trading this 151 for the 147 today.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

hey 147 should be fine. Im 5'6", 123 lbs, size 7.5 beginner as well, and I got 147 Ride Compact. Congrats on your new Ride btw
despinazenonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by despinazenonos View Post
hey 147 should be fine. Im 5'6", 123 lbs, size 7.5 beginner as well, and I got 147 Ride Compact. Congrats on your new Ride btw
Why, thank you! . I'm glad that I didn't open it yet, as I've had it in the back of my mind that it would be too big. I appreciate your responses.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestfalcon View Post
Thanks for the reply. That all makes sense. I'll be trading this 151 for the 147 today.
I agree that is a good decision, especially considering the 149 (albeit older) felt too big for you.

I weigh 10 lbs more than you and have a 146. I learned on a 151 and though I'm taller (5'8"), I prefer the 146 because of my weight.

You'll most likely be happier with the 147. Enjoy!
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, EatRideSleep. I appreciate your reply! It's one thing to hear what the sales guy has to say, it's another to hear what many others, in the same weight/height group use.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestfalcon View Post
Thanks, EatRideSleep. I appreciate your reply! It's one thing to hear what the sales guy has to say, it's another to hear what many others, in the same weight/height group use.
Sure!

It sounds like the sales guy might have really been trying to help solve your stability issue with the 151 recommendation, but like Bayoh mentioned, you don't really need that at this point (perhaps unless you ride deep powder??).

One thing I found in my personal experience of going from a traditional cambered, long, heavy board was that with my 146 hybrid camber, I really needed to tone down the movement in my riding. There might be a learning curve so don't get discouraged if that happens. Just keep at it (and a lesson is always a good idea if you need help)
Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

That is good advice. With my last board I felt like I really needed to swing my back leg out to make a turn, but I'm guessing if I do that with this board I'll eat it. I've taken two lessons a few years ago, I busted my arm during one of them...I'm not super graceful! Ha! My husband is really good and has ridden for about 15 years. While he doesn't teach me, per se, if I mess up and fall, he explains to me why (leaning back/forward, etc). Works well so far!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, any exaggerated or abrupt movement will likely be too much on a rocker.

Good that you have your husband to help you with technique. Sorry to hear about your arm My advice is to take it easy at first until you get a good feel for the board. And again, don't be discouraged if you eat it a few times in the process...just be careful not to eat it too hard!