Quick Confirmation that this board is okay for the longhaul? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #21 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Do not get the Raygun. You are coming off a quite stiff freeride board that is also big for your weight so it adds even more stiffness. The Raygun is going to feel like a noodle to you.

The Raygun is a GREAT intermediate board for people cruising around or learning on. You get lots of powder days right? Japan is legendary for it's pow. You already stated you aren't interested in freestyle either. You can already ride a stiff freeride board comfortably. Stick to this level. The Raygun isn't enough board for you.

If you can get K2 products, consider the Raygun's bigger brother, the Turbo Dream. Although not a stiff board by any means, it has plenty dampening thanks to the Harshmellow tech under the bindings. It is also has the same rocker profile as the Raygun. It's not a full flat camber like you said. They both have K2's all-mountain rocker. The middle is flat, but the tips are rockered. The nose has an earlier rise than the tail. This means the nose has more lift than the tail.

I owned a '11 Turbo Dream and rode it in fresh 2ft+ pow in Tahoe. That board surfed right over everything. You'll like it much better than the Raygun.

As for board width, don't be too focused on .2 cm differences. Snowboards are wider at the insert points where your boots actually sit on. A board with a 25.2 waist could actually be the same width at the inserts as a board with a 25.6 waist. You didn't have a problem with the Dynastar so just stick to regular widths unless they are narrow.

Again, taking into consideration your location and your statement that you want to freeride, I'd put you in the 158-163 range for your weight.
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Do not get the Raygun. You are coming off a quite stiff freeride board that is also big for your weight so it adds even more stiffness. The Raygun is going to feel like a noodle to you.

The Raygun is a GREAT intermediate board for people cruising around or learning on. You get lots of powder days right? Japan is legendary for it's pow. You already stated you aren't interested in freestyle either. You can already ride a stiff freeride board comfortably. Stick to this level. The Raygun isn't enough board for you.

If you can get K2 products, consider the Raygun's bigger brother, the Turbo Dream. Although not a stiff board by any means, it has plenty dampening thanks to the Harshmellow tech under the bindings. It is also has the same rocker profile as the Raygun. It's not a full flat camber like you said. They both have K2's all-mountain rocker. The middle is flat, but the tips are rockered. The nose has an earlier rise than the tail. This means the nose has more lift than the tail.

I owned a '11 Turbo Dream and rode it in fresh 2ft+ pow in Tahoe. That board surfed right over everything. You'll like it much better than the Raygun.

As for board width, don't be too focused on .2 cm differences. Snowboards are wider at the insert points where your boots actually sit on. A board with a 25.2 waist could actually be the same width at the inserts as a board with a 25.6 waist. You didn't have a problem with the Dynastar so just stick to regular widths unless they are narrow.

Again, taking into consideration your location and your statement that you want to freeride, I'd put you in the 158-163 range for your weight.

Thanks for the input.

Man o man, decisions decisions. Keep in mind, im still an absolute beginner who's only been boarding once, so its not like ive gotten super used to my current board. Would not say Im compfortable yet either, in fact, still working on my carving.

Thay being said, its true my interest lies only in riding down the slopes, not doing tricks.
stonedzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
I don't think so, looks like it's got an insert pattern like every other board. From the description, those black pads are just "new shock absorbing pads"
I think you are right after taking a second look. What threw me off was there are more options for stance width. Hard to describe but it looks like the mounting points are a lot closer together for more flexibility in setting stance width than a typical 4-hole mounting pattern. Perhaps as a result, it appeared to me that the mounting was also more narrow across the waist of the board.
MeanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedzombie View Post
Alright guys, screw it. Just bought my season pass and figure, why not, gonna go out tomorrow and buy a new board to last me.

Keep in mind, I live in Japan, so the selection here is a bit different from elsewhere, but mostly the same.

I've done a lot of research the past few days on this, and based on my body specifications (6'0, 180 pounds, 29cm boot) and what I want to do (beginner to intermediate board, freeride), I'm leaning toward the.....

K2 Raygun

Seems like a solid all-around board, mostly flat, beginner to intermediate, good for Japan's powder conditions, and I wont outskill it quickly. You guys agree?

My main concern is sizing. Since I wear a 29cm boot (which is about 11.4 inches), I'm assuming I need at MINIMUM a board with a waist length of about 255. The sizes I'm considering are the 161 (253 waist), 157 Wide (262 waist), or 160 Wide (265 waist).

Phew......sorry to ask for the 10th time in this thread buuuuuut......

what do you gents think?
What other brands do you have available to you? Would help with other suggestions, but the Turbo Dream said earlier is a fine choice too.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #25 (permalink)

All the major brands are here, its just the selection that can vary a bit.

All in all, Im still a noob, so Im really just looking for a solid board to learn on, good on powder, and more geared for riding tjan parking/doing tricks...
Old 01-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #26 (permalink)

Went ahead and bought a new 2011 Salomon Pulse 160cm board. Found a killer deal here which included the board and bindings for $100 out the door, couldnt resist.

Only concern is the 25.1 waist length, but I think it's fine since I'll only be on the groomers for the time being.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #27 (permalink)

I am running size 12 on a 249 waist board and have no problems. I do have 390 boss binding though with the canting system which kind of feels like it sits my boots up higher. Can always look for reduced footprint boots too.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote