Quick Confirmation that this board is okay for the longhaul? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quick Confirmation that this board is okay for the longhaul?

Hey guys,

Noob snowboarder here, and have quickly become enamored with the sport. What started off by paying a buddy a hundred buxx so I could have a board for occasional trips, has now turned into something a lot more. Took it out on the slopes down here in Niigata, Japan and for whatever reason, it just clicked. Had an amazing time.

Since I now plan on going every freaking chance I get, it means I want to take everything a bit more serious, which means I want to make sure this board is the right one for me. The board I bought from my friend is a Dynastar Automotive Karma circa 2006 (only used once) 163cm. I did some digging and was able to find the exact model here for your reference: Dynastar*Karma Autodrive :::Snowboard buyer's guide 2005 / 2006 ::: SportsGearGuide.com - The Online Sports Gear and Buyer's Guide Magazine

To give you a little more info about me, I'm 25, 6'0 exactly, wear a size 11.5 boot, and weigh about 181 pounds. Also, I'm primarily interested in freeriding more so than freestyling/trick stuff. Will this board suffice for me or should I ditch it for something else?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by stonedzombie; 01-09-2012 at 07:22 AM.
stonedzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Wow. You could definitely do better than that thing especially in japan conditions you really want a powder specific board.
ETM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ah....so not so good then eh? Is it mostly because the board itself is bad or it doesnt fit my weight/height preferences or....
Old 01-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

no experience with dynastar boards. but they make ok skis I've heard.

the board is the right size for you for freeride so no problem there.

you would definitely benefit from some of the newer snowboard designs.

but theres is nothing wrong with that deck, if cash is a problem keep it and rip it.

if cash isn't a problem might want to get something new.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys.

So, basically, while not optimal, is it okay to really learn on? I mean, nothing that will throw me off in terms of sizing or anything like that right?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

First off, I would reconsider this 'buddy' of yours that makes you pay HUNDREDS of dollars to use his board.

Second, this board looks very odd, almost plastic-like. You seem to be very interested in this 'sport' - I would personally recommend going with a different, better, board - that will last you a while. This way you wont be purchasing another board next year. Also, I would get a freeride specific board for the terrain in japan, as well as what you like to ride, (powder & pillows) possibly something other than traditional camber, you will be miserable in japan pow on that.

Third and final, I would be concerned about your boot size. At size 11.5 - you really might need a wide. If not your feet will hang off the board, and this can cause a ton of problems. I wear the same size boot - and there are very few 'regular' width boards than I can fit on, if any. I definitely prefer a wide board.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchMan View Post
First off, I would reconsider this 'buddy' of yours that makes you pay HUNDREDS of dollars to use his board.

Second, this board looks very odd, almost plastic-like. You seem to be very interested in this 'sport' - I would personally recommend going with a different, better, board - that will last you a while. This way you wont be purchasing another board next year. Also, I would get a freeride specific board for the terrain in japan, as well as what you like to ride, (powder & pillows) possibly something other than traditional camber, you will be miserable in japan pow on that.

Third and final, I would be concerned about your boot size. At size 11.5 - you really might need a wide. If not your feet will hang off the board, and this can cause a ton of problems. I wear the same size boot - and there are very few 'regular' width boards than I can fit on, if any. I definitely prefer a wide board.
Thanks for the reply.

First off, I should make clear that I actually bought this board originally from a friend of mine for $100. My original intention was to only use it for occasional trips, but now I'm pretty into it and want to make sure the board is right for me.

So, you're thinking the board is pretty bad then? To be honest, when I took it on the slopes, I didnt notice my feet hanging off at all.....then again, I really don't have anything to compare it to. Also, according to the board's summary, it's particular meant for freeriding, so wouldn't be okay then in that regard?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

It isn't a Never Summer therefore it sucks donkey balls
Go out and enjoy man. If next season you feel the need to upgrade then do it then, but there is no reason you can't have fun and enjoy the board you have now.
Tech420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedzombie View Post
Hey guys,

Noob snowboarder here, and have quickly become enamored with the sport. What started off by paying a buddy a hundred buxx so I could have a board for occasional trips, has now turned into something a lot more. Took it out on the slopes down here in Niigata, Japan and for whatever reason, it just clicked. Had an amazing time.

Since I now plan on going every freaking chance I get, it means I want to take everything a bit more serious, which means I want to make sure this board is the right one for me. The board I bought from my friend is a Dynastar Automotive Karma circa 2006 (only used once) 163cm. I did some digging and was able to find the exact model here for your reference: Dynastar*Karma Autodrive :::Snowboard buyer's guide 2005 / 2006 ::: SportsGearGuide.com - The Online Sports Gear and Buyer's Guide Magazine

To give you a little more info about me, I'm 25, 6'0 exactly, wear a size 11.5 boot, and weigh about 181 pounds. Also, I'm primarily interested in freeriding more so than freestyling/trick stuff. Will this board suffice for me or should I ditch it for something else?

Thanks in advance!

As they say it's not the board. It's the rider. Looks good enough to learn on, especially for $100.
One advice I can give is invest in a season pass if you can, you'll be more motivated to go ride and it will be much cheaper. the main thing that will make you a better rider is not your board but how many days you actually spend riding. Get protections too, in my case, they give me more confidence to push harder.

Have fun!
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks again for the feedback guys.

I suppose I'll hold on to it for the time being then. I was pretty concerned mostly cause I went over to a shop a few days ago, and the guy there told me that 163 is way too big for someone my size (6'0, 180 pounds). He said I should be aiming for 159 up to at the very max, 161. But, according to here, 163 should be okay then?