How small should you go if your a short park rat? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How small should you go if your a short park rat?

I am a short guy 5'6" about 155 lbs, size 7.5 boot. Im riding a 152 right now but it feels HUGE! I used to have a smaller board and its pretty hard to adjust to this board even though several board shops swore that this is the right size for me and I could go even bigger if I want. It stands a little above my nose and it seems like I should be on a smaller board. I know the board size charts go primarily by weight but I also heard that your board is supposed to go up to about your chin. Mine goes up to my nose. When I call board shops and look at the sizing charts online, they usually say that I should get a board EVEN BIGGER, like a 155 or 157. Are they always accurate for every rider and situation?

Its just that this 152 board seems like such a monster. Maybe I just need to adjust cause I rode on that small board for a few years.

Are there any park rats out there that are my size and if so, what size board do you like for park, rails, boxes, kickers? Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!
NYHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

What board are you riding?
Clarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm 15lbs lighter than you and about the same weight and ride 150-153 no problem.
Go shorter if you want, it's all preference. You start with the baseline, then adjust.

If you like the shorter board, go shorter. Plenty of heavier riders on these forums that ride really small boards, esp. for park.

Another concern would be your boot size which is more suited for narrower, therefore shorter boards.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarion View Post
What board are you riding?
Stairmaster 152
Old 01-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

I weigh 145 and I've ridden as short as a 146. I wouldn't want anything shorter than 148 (unless it was incredibly blunted like some of K2's boards) and I think up to 152 is fine size wise. My boards this year are a 150 Westmark and a 152 Parkstar (2011) and there isn't much a difference in feel between the two as far as size.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHC View Post
I am a short guy 5'6" about 155 lbs, size 7.5 boot. Im riding a 152 right now but it feels HUGE! I used to have a smaller board and its pretty hard to adjust to this board even though several board shops swore that this is the right size for me and I could go even bigger if I want. It stands a little above my nose and it seems like I should be on a smaller board. I know the board size charts go primarily by weight but I also heard that your board is supposed to go up to about your chin. Mine goes up to my nose. When I call board shops and look at the sizing charts online, they usually say that I should get a board EVEN BIGGER, like a 155 or 157. Are they always accurate for every rider and situation?

Its just that this 152 board seems like such a monster. Maybe I just need to adjust cause I rode on that small board for a few years.

Are there any park rats out there that are my size and if so, what size board do you like for park, rails, boxes, kickers? Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!
Sizing based on your height is the lazy old-school way to do it. Unless you are below 4'10" or above 6'5", height should never comes into play in choosing board size. The main factors are weight, ability, and riding preference. I'm the same weight as you and I've ridden boards down to 150 cm and up to 178 cm.

There is zero reason for a Stairmaster 152 (medium flex freestyle board) to cause you problems at 155 lbs. You might prefer shorter board because all you do is park and rails, but it shouldn't be difficult for you to handle. How many days have you been snowboarding (rough estimate)?
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

How many days have you been snowboarding (rough estimate)?[/QUOTE]

8 years, so about 90+ days. ive only been doing pure park for about 2 years though. i know my post is kinda stupid but im just tryin to improve my slides and presses. but really that just comes from practice.

i used to ride rails and bowls and do flatland tricks on my skateboard all the time and loved it but tryin to do skate tricks on a SB sometimes seems weird when the thing your riding is almost as big as YOU, haha!!! i know its all in my head but cant hurt to ask, right?

i was thinkin about getting a Horrorscope FK 151 (seems like suck a sick board) but from what you guys are sayin, seems like theres no need.

i love this forum and have gotten excellent advice and responses to my posts. this is a great source of SB info.

thanks for all the quick responses.