top scratch on brand new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default top scratch on brand new board

i got the 2012 arbor relapse board for my bday this year (my wife rocks). broke it in on 1/2 at blue mt in PA. upon getting off of the 6 person lift, there was a crowd of buttholes that felt it was necessary to chill at the bottom of the ramp. it was really crowded that day and there were tons of newbies there. long story short there was a major collision at the bottom of the ramp and i ended up with a nice scratch on the top of my board. my question is would you be as upset as i am about this aesthetic disturbance? would you try to return the board (2 yr warranty), as there is also one screw that wont go into the bindings. or would you recommend what to fill the scratch with. part of it is sort of deep but no wood seems to be exposed.
wkndwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

quit being a pussy, boards are meant to be ridden, and ridden hard
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Firstly, the screw problem is not uncommon. A friend's Signal has the same issue. Try tightening each screw 1/4th of the way in to get them started, then go corner to corner tightening. They'll all go in.

If you tighten one all the way down, it'll pull the binding up from the board and the base plate will not be positioned correctly.

As for the scratch, it's cosmetic at best. Yeah, It's not as pretty anymore, but it's the perfect excuse to get some decals going. You can find them super cheap on Ebay and can even customize the color on some.

Cover it up and be happy. You still have a new board...she just got slapped by crowded lifts.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndwarrior View Post
i got the 2012 arbor relapse board for my bday this year (my wife rocks). broke it in on 1/2 at blue mt in PA. upon getting off of the 6 person lift, there was a crowd of buttholes that felt it was necessary to chill at the bottom of the ramp. it was really crowded that day and there were tons of newbies there. long story short there was a major collision at the bottom of the ramp and i ended up with a nice scratch on the top of my board. my question is would you be as upset as i am about this aesthetic disturbance? would you try to return the board (2 yr warranty), as there is also one screw that wont go into the bindings. or would you recommend what to fill the scratch with. part of it is sort of deep but no wood seems to be exposed.
Brand new Arbor A-Frame, first day of last season, in line for first chair a skier thought it was a good idea mark the time tapping his pole on my board. At the third poke I barked at him " REALLY?? lol...Arbors are easy to scratch....but don't freak out about it, they still ride great
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Does the screw not go in even without bindings? Like if you just try screwing it straight into the board?

The thread could be a little crappy or incomplete in the insert. If you didn't want to return the board you could go to any mechanic and they could clean out the thread in about a minute with a tap&die set...

PS: Scratches are awesome, chicks dig them.

No wait, that's scars right? I get confused easily
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

It happens all the time. I never worry about it.

The best advice when I got my first board from a shop owner was to take it into the parking lot and throw it down. Boards get scratched and banged up, as long as there is no serious damage it doesn't matter.
KnoxBoarderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER View Post
Brand new Arbor A-Frame, first day of last season, in line for first chair a skier thought it was a good idea mark the time tapping his pole on my board. At the third poke I barked at him " REALLY?? lol...Arbors are easy to scratch....but don't freak out about it, they still ride great
Barked at him that is a good one. I think I will try that next time. What kind of bark was it?Like BARK!!BARK!! or GRRR BARK!!GRRR!!BARK BARK GRRRRRRR!!!
TMXMOTORSPORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
quit being a pussy, boards are meant to be ridden, and ridden hard
thanks for your gay response
Old 01-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
Firstly, the screw problem is not uncommon. A friend's Signal has the same issue. Try tightening each screw 1/4th of the way in to get them started, then go corner to corner tightening. They'll all go in.

If you tighten one all the way down, it'll pull the binding up from the board and the base plate will not be positioned correctly.
it seems as if the thread on the board is stripped. all of the other screws are in tight. this one you can turn and turn and it just doesnt catch. i tried a couple of different screws. i just rode it with 3 screws instead of 4 and it was sturdy, but its new and shouldnt be defected. ill try taking them all out and redoing it.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Scratches will happen. Gotta live with it. Go fuck it up over some rocks, it'll make you feel better. My brand new board got chips in the nose/tip and I don't even know how it got there. Barely noticeable though.

Just ride it. It'll look like shit after a few days anyway.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote