Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Big Guy Board Help (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/45323-big-guy-board-help.html)

CT_22 01-12-2012 11:34 AM

Big Guy Board Help

this is my first post, and my first time snowboarding, last week. I'm hooked! I'm just confused on the sizing. i've looked at a lot of threads but idk what size i will be comfortable on. i know it will be a wide board( shoe size 12), but do to my weight(215 lbs) and height (6'3") i am just unsure of the size. my guess is anywhere in the 160-168 range. a little help and personal experience would be really nice..

if you have any suggestions on boards that would be helpful too. i am not really knowledgeable on the brands and quality. i would like something good for all around, and under 400. this is what i have been looking at..

Flow Merc Flow Merc (Black) Wide Snowboard 2012 | evo

Burton Bullet Burton Bullet Wide Snowboard - Blem 2012 | evo

Burton Blunt Burton Blunt Wide Snowboard - Demo 2012 | evo

Flow Infinite On Sale Flow Infinite Snowboard 168 Mens 6 - Snowboards, Snowboarding Gear, Equipment 9868flinf10

Ride Antic Ride Antic Wide Snowboard 2012 | evo

thanks for any help!

comclovin 01-12-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_22 (Post 465814)
this is my first post, and my first time snowboarding, last week. I'm hooked! I'm just confused on the sizing. i've looked at a lot of threads but idk what size i will be comfortable on. i know it will be a wide board( shoe size 12), but do to my weight(215 lbs) and height (6'3") i am just unsure of the size. my guess is anywhere in the 160-168 range. a little help and personal experience would be really nice..

if you have any suggestions on boards that would be helpful too. i am not really knowledgeable on the brands and quality. i would like something good for all around, and under 400. this is what i have been looking at..

Flow Merc Flow Merc (Black) Wide Snowboard 2012 | evo

Burton Bullet Burton Bullet Wide Snowboard - Blem 2012 | evo

Burton Blunt Burton Blunt Wide Snowboard - Demo 2012 | evo

Flow Infinite On Sale Flow Infinite Snowboard 168 Mens 6 - Snowboards, Snowboarding Gear, Equipment 9868flinf10

Ride Antic Ride Antic Wide Snowboard 2012 | evo

thanks for any help!

I'm a bigger rider myself, and can relate. With rockered boards, and your size, you'd be fine with 160-163 range. I don't see a need for you to nab a 168, especially to learn on. I've ridden both the Merc and the Infinite recently, and both are solid boards. The Merc may be the more forgiving of those two. I know Ride, and Burton both make some quality stuff as well, but haven't spent any time on the boards listed above from them recently.

Flat4Wagon 01-12-2012 12:11 PM

FYI you might not even need a wide board. Just make sure the waist width is larger than 25cm.

I have size 13 burton grails on a 25.5 and never get toe drag. :)

comclovin 01-12-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat4Wagon (Post 465838)
FYI you might not even need a wide board. Just make sure the waist width is larger than 25cm.

I have size 13 burton grails on a 25.5 and never get toe drag. :)

Good point, especially with low pro boots, or similar designs. What angles are you riding at on the 25.5?

Flat4Wagon 01-12-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comclovin (Post 465841)
Good point, especially with low pro boots, or similar designs. What angles are you riding at on the 25.5?

Hmm I think it's +15/-7 does that make sense? I have a slight duck stance.

volboy23 01-12-2012 12:55 PM

I think you can stick closer to 160. I weighed a lot more and rode a 164 bullet until just recently. I would suggest looking at the flex on the board compared to what you are looking to do down the road. The bullet was a great board to learn on, but I have quickly grown out of it as it is a 2 out of 10 on flex and I can't deal with it being that loose anymore. Just keep that in mind. There are several good boards you have on the list.

SnowHitman 01-12-2012 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
im 6'6 and 230lbs

XL Flow 2 Bindings
Burton boots 15

i ride a SIMS Protocol 163W with a size 15 boot and then board handles like butter both all mountain and on the terrain line. Sure there is a little toe drag but really you get used to it and can make up for it

CT_22 01-12-2012 01:38 PM

thanks for the input. that's helped a lot i was leaning more towards the Merc and Antic cause they are more stiff.. can any of you point me in the direction of other boards? i feel like i'm limited due to being a bigger dude lol..

SnowHitman 01-12-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT_22 (Post 465920)
thanks for the input. that's helped a lot i was leaning more towards the Merc and Antic cause they are more stiff.. can any of you point me in the direction of other boards? i feel like i'm limited due to being a bigger dude lol..

You are not really limited at all, the advancement in tech for boards has gotten so amazing that even as a bigger guy you can ride smaller boards with no problem.

You can ride 158-168 WIDE boards no problem at all.

Just start looking for boards with the width bigger then 260 and you will be fine, You seem to be only looking at brand name boards. Try looking at off brands, they will be a lot cheaper and pretty much the same lol

the REASON 01-12-2012 01:54 PM

K2 Darkstar Wide Snowboard 2011 | evo outlet

cant beat that for $250