Big Guy Board Help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Big Guy Board Help

this is my first post, and my first time snowboarding, last week. I'm hooked! I'm just confused on the sizing. i've looked at a lot of threads but idk what size i will be comfortable on. i know it will be a wide board( shoe size 12), but do to my weight(215 lbs) and height (6'3") i am just unsure of the size. my guess is anywhere in the 160-168 range. a little help and personal experience would be really nice..

if you have any suggestions on boards that would be helpful too. i am not really knowledgeable on the brands and quality. i would like something good for all around, and under 400. this is what i have been looking at..

Flow Merc Flow Merc (Black) Wide Snowboard 2012 | evo

Burton Bullet Burton Bullet Wide Snowboard - Blem 2012 | evo

Burton Blunt Burton Blunt Wide Snowboard - Demo 2012 | evo

Flow Infinite On Sale Flow Infinite Snowboard 168 Mens 6 - Snowboards, Snowboarding Gear, Equipment 9868flinf10

Ride Antic Ride Antic Wide Snowboard 2012 | evo

thanks for any help!
CT_22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:09 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
comclovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_22 View Post
this is my first post, and my first time snowboarding, last week. I'm hooked! I'm just confused on the sizing. i've looked at a lot of threads but idk what size i will be comfortable on. i know it will be a wide board( shoe size 12), but do to my weight(215 lbs) and height (6'3") i am just unsure of the size. my guess is anywhere in the 160-168 range. a little help and personal experience would be really nice..

if you have any suggestions on boards that would be helpful too. i am not really knowledgeable on the brands and quality. i would like something good for all around, and under 400. this is what i have been looking at..

Flow Merc Flow Merc (Black) Wide Snowboard 2012 | evo

Burton Bullet Burton Bullet Wide Snowboard - Blem 2012 | evo

Burton Blunt Burton Blunt Wide Snowboard - Demo 2012 | evo

Flow Infinite On Sale Flow Infinite Snowboard 168 Mens 6 - Snowboards, Snowboarding Gear, Equipment 9868flinf10

Ride Antic Ride Antic Wide Snowboard 2012 | evo

thanks for any help!
I'm a bigger rider myself, and can relate. With rockered boards, and your size, you'd be fine with 160-163 range. I don't see a need for you to nab a 168, especially to learn on. I've ridden both the Merc and the Infinite recently, and both are solid boards. The Merc may be the more forgiving of those two. I know Ride, and Burton both make some quality stuff as well, but haven't spent any time on the boards listed above from them recently.
comclovin is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Junior Member
 
Flat4Wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FYI you might not even need a wide board. Just make sure the waist width is larger than 25cm.

I have size 13 burton grails on a 25.5 and never get toe drag.

Lib Attack Banana 159
Lib Skate Banana 159
Burton Bullet 159w
Union Force bindings
Burton Grail boots
Flat4Wagon is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:13 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
comclovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat4Wagon View Post
FYI you might not even need a wide board. Just make sure the waist width is larger than 25cm.

I have size 13 burton grails on a 25.5 and never get toe drag.
Good point, especially with low pro boots, or similar designs. What angles are you riding at on the 25.5?
comclovin is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Junior Member
 
Flat4Wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comclovin View Post
Good point, especially with low pro boots, or similar designs. What angles are you riding at on the 25.5?
Hmm I think it's +15/-7 does that make sense? I have a slight duck stance.

Lib Attack Banana 159
Lib Skate Banana 159
Burton Bullet 159w
Union Force bindings
Burton Grail boots
Flat4Wagon is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you can stick closer to 160. I weighed a lot more and rode a 164 bullet until just recently. I would suggest looking at the flex on the board compared to what you are looking to do down the road. The bullet was a great board to learn on, but I have quickly grown out of it as it is a 2 out of 10 on flex and I can't deal with it being that loose anymore. Just keep that in mind. There are several good boards you have on the list.
volboy23 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Member
 
SnowHitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im 6'6 and 230lbs

XL Flow 2 Bindings
Burton boots 15

i ride a SIMS Protocol 163W with a size 15 boot and then board handles like butter both all mountain and on the terrain line. Sure there is a little toe drag but really you get used to it and can make up for it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 375211_3053106289362_1314443846_33243855_1370058283_n.jpg (28.5 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by SnowHitman; 01-12-2012 at 01:36 PM.
SnowHitman is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks for the input. that's helped a lot i was leaning more towards the Merc and Antic cause they are more stiff.. can any of you point me in the direction of other boards? i feel like i'm limited due to being a bigger dude lol..
CT_22 is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Member
 
SnowHitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_22 View Post
thanks for the input. that's helped a lot i was leaning more towards the Merc and Antic cause they are more stiff.. can any of you point me in the direction of other boards? i feel like i'm limited due to being a bigger dude lol..
You are not really limited at all, the advancement in tech for boards has gotten so amazing that even as a bigger guy you can ride smaller boards with no problem.

You can ride 158-168 WIDE boards no problem at all.

Just start looking for boards with the width bigger then 260 and you will be fine, You seem to be only looking at brand name boards. Try looking at off brands, they will be a lot cheaper and pretty much the same lol

Last edited by SnowHitman; 01-12-2012 at 01:43 PM.
SnowHitman is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
the REASON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the REASON is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome