Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Another board decision help thread (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/45329-another-board-decision-help-thread.html)

strangerDanger 01-12-2012 02:45 PM

Another board decision help thread

So I'm looking into purchasing my first setup and would love some input from those in the know. A little about where I stand: I'm 5'11, 165lbs, size 10 boot, and primarily stick to the East Coast. I started snowboarding last season but was only able to get to the slopes a handful of times. So far this season I've made a few weekend trips with a few more planned and have improved quite a bit, at least compared to last season, and would say I probably sit somewhere in between a beginner and intermediate; I can link turns quite well (though admittedly, weak on my toe edge) and am comfortable on most blues. Up to this point I've only run groomers but would love to try my hand at park sometime in the future.

So given that background, I've been doing some research over the past few weeks trying to find a setup that would suit my style. Most charts say I fit somewhere between 156 and 160 give or take a few given the style of riding. Because I mostly run groomers but would also someday like to get into park, I'm looking for an all-mountain board that would serve me well in both styles. I'm trying to work on a budget, keeping the board + binding total cost under $350, as with my level of experience I don't think I'll get much benefit out of an expensive board compared to a cheaper, beginner-level one. I'm not opposed to buying used and have actually been digging around craigslist and ebay, but have also been looking at online retailers and their shitty-weather and last-season sales. Here a few of the boards/packages I've found that may fit the bill:
  • Forum JP Walker 154 + Nitro binding (Forum snowboard 154cm) - another 154, which I feel may be a bit small

I realize that this is just a cluster of a list, but I'm only working with my limited experience and knowledge here. If it makes any difference, every time I've ridden I've rented a Burton LTR as the only other option has been step-ins, which I don' think I'd be a fan of, so that is what I'm accustomed to. Any kind of feedback would be awesome.

strangerDanger 01-12-2012 08:19 PM

No opinions? Evo's outlet sale ends tonight so if the Rome Garage Rocker, Flow Infinite, or Ride Agenda are at the top of the list, I'd like to get one of them ordered tonight.

the REASON 01-12-2012 08:23 PM

my buddy has that year garage rocker. he likes it.

skip those shitty bindings tho, get some 2011 flows off the outlet.

the REASON 01-12-2012 08:27 PM

plus im 170 and ride a 153, going to a 150 next year. youll be fine freeriding with a 154 just might not float in 2ft of pow so well.

strangerDanger 01-12-2012 08:52 PM

Well good thing I mainly board in NC - highly unlikely I'll be riding in 2ft pow. And if the Rome Shifts really are garbage, I may as well buy the board+binding package and a set of the flows to hit the $350 price and knock it back down to $250. I've never used flows, only straps, so at least that gives me the option to switch between the two.

I'm thinking the Evo options are my best bet due to the sale, I just need to narrow it down to the option just described, the Flow Infinite + the Flow Fives or Salomon Arcade / The Boss, or the Ride Agenda and of the three bindings just listed in the next 5 hours.

I do have another question, and this may be better suited for the bindings forum, but since I wear a size 10 boot I sit in the middle of Salomon's M and L. Is it better to go M to save a bit of weight, or L for the extra room it would provide?

the REASON 01-12-2012 09:13 PM

id do this if i were you.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7147/6...39fe3a16_b.jpg

strangerDanger 01-12-2012 10:22 PM

Dude, you've been such a help with all this, thanks. I think I'm going to go with that setup because the Agenda seems to be geared more towards freestyle instead of all-mountain. Do you have first hand experience with the Fives? Some reviews are saying they are too soft to be effective anywhere but the park.

the REASON 01-12-2012 10:46 PM

my roommate has them, he wears 12s and i wear 8s so i havent had a chance to ride them. but he likes them a lot. mostly free rides too.

strangerDanger 01-12-2012 11:26 PM

Awesome. I'm going to mull over the Infinite vs Ride Antic for a few more minutes and then get this shit ordered. Thanks again for all of the help.