Beginner with questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner with questions

To start: I am going to start snowboarding and have never been snowboarding before. I would like to point out though that I am looking for something that isnt just a "beginners board". I am a very quick learner and excel at pretty much everything given very little time to practice.

I am looking for an "all mountain" board, as it seems that not only is this what most beginners start with, but I believe that it will be my style of riding. I don't believe I will ever be mainly living in the park, but will be doing runs down the mountain and occasionally messing around jumping and having fun.

I'm 5'7", 120lbs.

I have been trying to do my research and believe that I should be looking for a cambered board, or maybe a rocker and camber type board offered by NS. Suggestions on this?

I have also seemed to see that maybe a 150-153cm board length is what I should be looking at? Suggestions there based on weight?

I think that I am going to try to find a used board for this first trip to make sure I love the sport as much as I believe that I will before sinking a ton of money into an amazing board that I will use for a while.

Based on what I am looking for, what do you guys recommend? And if you need any more information, just ask and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks
WS6Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You should really ride before diving into this insanely expensive 'sport'

You have no idea what it's like, what you may want to ride - what state do you live in? Where will you be riding?

You could end up hating it and wanting to ski instead
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Going to have to agree, if you've seriously never been snowboarding before - just rent. You honestly won't know the difference as far as gear goes. If you're still gung-ho afterwards, we can point you in the right direction.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Your first day you will probably hate it, your wrists and tailbone will be screaming. But, like Wasatch said, go rent first. I would recommend a camber board for beginners as they will be catch free and easier to turn. I really don't think you want to go all out for a NS for your first board.

My first board was/is a GNU Carbon Credit I got for a pretty good price at the end of last season. Trust me, this board to me is a great beginner board and will be something I'm not going to grow out of talent wise for years.

Definitely try before you buy. Check with the pro shop at the hill you ride and see if they have a camber board you can demo. Do tons of research before you buy and remember to spend the most money on your boots, not your board. You should spend the most on boots, then bindings, then board... in that order.
Salomon Faction's

Usual Riding Spots:
Snowshoe, WV
Paoli Peaks, IN
Perfect North, IN
Nsane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ya, I pointed out that I was looking at the possibility of buying a used board for cheap to start, THEN if I love the sport get a good board. What should I be looking at for this first board? Because I can basically buy a used board and bindings and probably even a setup with boots for what it will cost me to rent a board for 5 days. Im not saying its a great setup, but a used beginner one.

So based off of that, what advice do you guys have that I should be looking at? A cambered, ~151cm board?

Edit: Riding in Colorado, will be going to Wolf Creek
WS6Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

true that WasatchMan. Rent the gear at least once, shell out a few $$ for a lesson, and make sure you enjoy it enough to spend the boku bucks on buying your own gear (don't buy used boots, or helmet!).

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

i think he meant "reverse-camber" by the explanation he gave (catch free ride). You could probably go shorter than that length unless you think you are still growing a lot.

The Gnu Carbon Credit would be a good option in my opinion, too -- once you've made sure you want to pursue the sport.

If you want to buy something dirt cheap instead of rent then I'd still say buy new or off-season (new old stock) boots. You can get a beginner pair for like $120. Board and bindings you gotta be able to find some no-name setup on Craigslist or something for around $100 (edit: at this price you're only going to find regular camber but it's no big deal, you'll learn a little bit better technique but it will take a little bit longer. this is the only type of board there was until a few years ago so everyone pretty much used to ride these). It'll be 10 years old and a junk board but so what you can still learn on it and it will be cheaper than 4 or 5 rentals for sure.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just started boarding myself and a few tips i have

I got gear that was 1-2 years old so you get a good deal on it.
i didnt take any lesson because i self teach myself a lot of stuff.
DO get a pair of wristguards!
1st day you will spend falling on you ass or knees
2nd day you will start linking carves and actually get confident
3rd day you will be all over the mountain having a blast

But go cheap and save money, once you get better then you can spend more money
SnowHitman is offline   Reply With Quote