How can I not ruin this board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question How can I not ruin this board

Just bit the bullet and ordered a NS Proto CTX 155, and now I want to make sure I don't damage it.

1) How do I not let the edges rust? On my last board the tip and tail would rust, I'd file it off, and then it would come back.
2) Am I using Ptex right? I have "clear" ptex but it comes off as a brownish burnt thing. I'm using a lighter, waiting until the ptex catches fire, then dripping it in the holes, but it is coming off as a brownish things with black flakes.
3) Under my bindings, I have little bumps on my base, and I'm wondering how to reverse that/make it not happen again. Is it the screws? Do I need shorter ones? When I loosened them, my bindings were wiggly although I only have 3 screws as I lost one somewhere.
4) Am I waxing right? I have household iron that I use exclusively for waxing, and it has holes in it. I drip the wax on, and then iron it out going back and forth. The wax will smoke. Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks, I'd rather not ruin my first nice nice board.
nickwarrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwarrenn View Post
1) How do I not let the edges rust? On my last board the tip and tail would rust, I'd file it off, and then it would come back.
Wipe your board when coming home.

Quote:
2) Am I using Ptex right? I have "clear" ptex but it comes off as a brownish burnt thing. I'm using a lighter, waiting until the ptex catches fire, then dripping it in the holes, but it is coming off as a brownish things with black flakes.
There is a proper technique to prevent black flakes from getting in the p-tex. Look it up on youtube

Quote:
3) Under my bindings, I have little bumps on my base, and I'm wondering how to reverse that/make it not happen again. Is it the screws? Do I need shorter ones? When I loosened them, my bindings were wiggly although I only have 3 screws as I lost one somewhere.
Get shorter screws. What kind of bindings are you using?

Quote:
4) Am I waxing right? I have household iron that I use exclusively for waxing, and it has holes in it. I drip the wax on, and then iron it out going back and forth. The wax will smoke. Am I doing it wrong?
Turn the temp down. wax should not smoke. This year I got a real waxing iron. Makes a huge difference.
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh, and enjoy your Proto, awesome board!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

For rust prevention you can keep a chunk of cheap cold weather wax in your car. When you are done riding, dry your edges and run the wax around the whole edge. They won't rust.
Wiredsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Wipe your board when coming home.
Get shorter screws. What kind of bindings are you using?
I'm using Burton 09 Custom Bindings.

What about all the snow on the board, do I need to dry it all off, or just the edges? It seems impossible to get all the snow off.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Definitely get shorter screws! When I mounted Burton bindings on my Nitro I "bumped" the base (thankfully I didn't do that to my Proto!). When I bought my Raiden bindings the screws where much shorter. I think Burton screws are too long for many non-Burton boards.

As for wiping down, you can wait until the snow as melted...
Old 01-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Definitely get shorter screws! When I mounted Burton bindings on my Nitro I "bumped" the base (thankfully I didn't do that to my Proto!). When I bought my Raiden bindings the screws where much shorter. I think Burton screws are too long for many non-Burton boards.

As for wiping down, you can wait until the snow as melted...
Where could I get shorter screws? Would I have to go to a board shop (none locally), or would sport chek or a hardware store stock them?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sport check should have some. Possible hardware store too (M6 screw size)

Repair shop at the resort should have them.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sometimes those bumps under the bindings are from waxing without loosening the screws first, but I have only read about it. In my experience I have hot waxed with the screws tight and I didn't get any bumps.
basso4735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

when you wax with tight screws, you typically get INDENTS in the bottom, not protrusions. Correct me if anyone has experienced different.....
marcdeo is offline   Reply With Quote