Thinking about a 2nd board for transitioning to park... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinking about a 2nd board for transitioning to park...

I know there are a ton of board recommendation threads, and I've read a ton of them, but haven't really figured anything out yet.

I'm an intermediate rider, who's been riding for a few years on and off (I took last season off because of a not so pleasant knee injury), but for the most part I've not spent much time in the park, except a few times hitting small jumps and small, ride on boxes, when I was tired at the end of a day riding.

My current board is an few year old Burton Custom, 151 (I'm 5'6", ~150 lbs), but I was thinking (now that I actually have a full time job) of getting another board to help me get into park riding.

I don't plan on hitting any massive jumps in the short future, I think I would be more interested in jibbing...

But there are so many options that I have no idea what to do (or to look for, not being an experience park rider). I was browsing through the Angry Snowboarder reviews for some ideas, but I wanted to know if anyone had suggestions. (I'm on the East Coast at the moment, fyi).

Random boards I've thought about include the Artifact, Artifact Rocker, Salomon Salomonder, Skate Banana, NS Evo, etc. Someone also mentioned the Bataleon Airobic or the Disaster... and the skate shop near my apt has the Lobster Jibbaord in stock, which is supposed to be the same?

I'm open to suggestions, and also info about what size board to get would be useful... I could see myself putting on some pounds up to 160 tops, assuming my eating and gym going works out.
Shazkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

I just started getting into park towards the end of last season, and got a Bataleon Fun.Kink. It helped me imensely, I never worry about catching an edge on a rail, has a real skate like feel to it, fun to butter, great board. However, I'd prob go with the Disaster, since it has Jib TBT. Anyway you'd have a chance to try tbt or reverse camber before you buy?
bebop_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well as much as I like the Helgason's as riders, just get the Disaster if you can. Lobster is a brain child of marketing people telling the brothers they can make more money by making their own brand...

The Disaster is cheaper too, and the same board. And a better graphic in my opinion. And if something goes wrong you don't have to deal with a shiny new company.

My favorite jibby boards that sacrifice the least amount of mtn ability are the Signal Rocker Light, Bataleon Airobic, Nitro Swindle, Salomon Drift Rocker, or Flow Verve.

Shoot for like a 150-152

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Yeah, those are similar ones I've been reading about across the forums...

I do really like the Airobic's graphics, and it's available online in 151... hmmm..
Old 01-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wait, is your burton not good for getting into park? i think you should use it a bit more to get into it, then find another board.
CMSbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

You're probably right. I just got eager with my new found income and am being silly.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

haha yeah. i know the feeling. but if you jib the shit out of your custom then you can replace it, and get another all mountain board. you also have more time to save up.
CMSbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

whatever board tech has come super far in even the last 3 years. Get a new deck and keep the custom as a rock season board.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, my board is an '07, and I am sure I have enough in the bank for another board now...

But thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
whatever board tech has come super far in even the last 3 years. Get a new deck and keep the custom as a rock season board.
4 year old Burton Custom 154, regular camber, 3d hole pattern.

Boards are nicer now, but they can't replace skill and practice... get some lessons instead.

Last edited by lonerider; 01-15-2012 at 09:17 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote