Dang: K2 Raygun or GNU Carbon Credit Series BTX - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dang: K2 Raygun or GNU Carbon Credit Series BTX

Just got my $100 REI gift card in the mail today (yes!) so I'm getting ready to pull the trigger. I was jet set on the K2 Raygun and I found this GNU in their 'all mountain' section. Read good things about banana tech n' all and watched this solid review on the board:

Is the GNU more freestyle oriented compared to the Raygun? I want to learn how to do tricks off of jumps and a some basic jibs but have really enjoyed doing some nice carves and getting comfortable with speed. This winter is pretty lame haha. I was looking forward to riding some powder for the first time so that's why I want a board that will float well in the stuff as well as making some nice turns with. I live in southern California to give you an idea of snow conditions.

I fucking love the look n' feel of the Raygun in person. I'd ride a 156. They have the 153 GNU in stock there as well so I'll go tomorrow & toss it on the ground to see it's profile. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Dim Mak 1470; 01-15-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Dim Mak 1470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I haven't been able to ride the carbon credit but the Raygun is such a solid board. I almost didn't want to start riding my Proto because I was so surprised at how well the Raygun rode all over the mountain, even jumps and jibbing. If you are more powder oriented I think the bigger Raygun would be better unless someone can chime in about the Carbon Credit.
ecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecks View Post
I haven't been able to ride the carbon credit but the Raygun is such a solid board. I almost didn't want to start riding my Proto because I was so surprised at how well the Raygun rode all over the mountain, even jumps and jibbing. If you are more powder oriented I think the bigger Raygun would be better unless someone can chime in about the Carbon Credit.
The CC is designed as a do everything fun board. The major difference in feel would be Gnu's Magnetraction (wavy edges) which keeps the CC locked in on icy or hardpack conditions. You can do a search here on SBF to read user impressions about magnetraction. It is great tech that adds up to a big performance difference.

What is your weight and foot size?
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
The CC is designed as a do everything fun board. The major difference in feel would be Gnu's Magnetraction (wavy edges) which keeps the CC locked in on icy or hardpack conditions. You can do a search here on SBF to read user impressions about magnetraction. It is great tech that adds up to a big performance difference.

What is your weight and foot size?
Ah, yes. I heard it had that and I've read a bit about it on here. Sounds like a nice feature, I'll check that out in person. I'm 5'3" @ 165-170 lbs, size 9 boot.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

No one else has ridden the GNU? I'll have to ask an REI rep. Looks like Raygun for me.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

i have a Gnu CC 153 from 10/11. It's a great board for a beginner and I'd say that the BoardInsiders review is pretty accurate. Also check out thegoodride's review
ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim Mak 1470 View Post
Ah, yes. I heard it had that and I've read a bit about it on here. Sounds like a nice feature, I'll check that out in person. I'm 5'3" @ 165-170 lbs, size 9 boot.
For Gnu, you will dig the 153 CC. If you find yourself in Oregon, We will be happy to get you some turns on one.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

The Carbon Credit is rockered, the Raygun is flat to rocker. I've seen it mentioned here by other and agree - in that I prefer flat camber tech for boxes and rails. So if you want to learn tricks, that's helpful. I can also say that the Raygun is a very fun, stable snowboard.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks d00ds. I walked to Sport Chalet on my lunch break and they had these GNU's out on display. Couldn't find my size but I took the 150 out of the sleeve. Looks pretty cool, the Magnetraction looks cool and I like that it doesn't have metal edges on the nose n' tail. The board didn't make me tingle like the Raygun did at first glance I'm going to REI tomorrow to look at them both side by side.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

+1 for the CC, it's a good board.
Never tried the Raygun.