some snowboard designs i have made - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you also have to keep in mind graphics on sintered bases are usually spliced in pieces of p-tex (brighter colors and sharper resolution). The first two up there would be too complicated/expensive for most companies to use on their bases. Also, I see many sintered base graphics have rounded typestyles and are designed on the diagonal, which I think is to help keep the p-tex pieces from peeling up under rough riding conditions.

Last edited by extra0; 01-15-2012 at 06:48 PM.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra0 View Post
yeah, I've seen those all before. Looks like you hit a stump long before you came up with the graphics above...or you just don't have the talent. Your "brand name" is cheesy, too.

Graphics take more than just buying photoshop and playing with some preset patterns, filters and typestyles. You have to actually sketch out/develop ideas out on paper, first...then go through a series of several versions/mockups (thumbnails) before developing a finished product. I have an associates degree in graphic design, so I'm not just making this shit up.
LOL you can create art anyway you like. You sound pretty egotistical bro... let us all bow to your associates degree lol.
StreetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra0 View Post
you also have to keep in mind graphics on sintered bases are usually spliced in pieces of p-tex (brighter colors and sharper resolution). The first two up there would be too complicated/expensive for most companies to use on their bases. Also, I see many sintered base graphics have rounded typestyles and are designed on the diagonal, which I think is to help keep the p-tex pieces from peeling up under rough riding conditions.
How are the first 2 "too complicated and expensive"? They look dead simple compared to 90% of the bases out there today. I don't have a fancy degree but It doesn't add up for me
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
It's the Jeff Kramer Smokin pro model.
thats the one!...my mistake.
jliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The second one reminds of the K2 Playback.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpedoVegas View Post
How are the first 2 "too complicated and expensive"? They look dead simple compared to 90% of the bases out there today. I don't have a fancy degree but It doesn't add up for me
The top graphics would do fine using sublimation on a sintered base. In general, it's extruded bases that are harder because the graphics can't be sublimated with digital printing. Die-cutting is independent of base material; it's just "something you can do". I don't, because while the bold color is nice the possibility of the die-cut coming loose isn't worth the effect to me.

The first two are definitely not good die-cut candidates. #1 COULD be done on extruded w/ a silkscreen - it's only what, 2 colors? #2 would need sublimated or, alternately silkscreened with halftones. But either would do fine on a higher end model with a sintered base.

As for the proposed "paper first" workflow, this depends greatly on what your design is, and also your equipment. If you have a Cintiq, paper isn't "necessary" unless you just happen to like it. If your art is collage, or shape and composition-driven like these, straight to Illustrator works just fine. As an aside, only one of Echelon's graphics was begun on paper (the "tools" being Wacom and Illustrator), and they worked out OK. The "SuperCarrier" did actually start as a sketch, but that was more to do with when I had the idea than because it was needed.

Anyway - nice work; they look clean.
EchelonSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

I dig the first one. Color could be anything but I like the graphics alot. And I like the top on the last one as well.
mLuMaN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Doesn't REI and Arbor do a collaboration every year for an REI only board where the graphics are determined by a contest?

I wish someone would make a snowboard with graphics of a bear and a sasquatch fighting with chainsaws. I have a buddy who is an illistrator for Disney. Dude can flat out draw. I may have him draw something up for me. I mean, seriously... how fucking badass would a board be if it featured chainsaw wielding sasquatch and bear in a fight to the death? Fucking awesome
Old 02-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

This

mpacc is offline   Reply With Quote