In the market for a new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default In the market for a new board

Im looking for a new board. I would most likely be purchasing a 2013 model at the end of this year.

What I do/what I need the board to do:
Steeps
Hauling
Medium sized kickers (something that has a low swing weight? At least I think it's called that...)
All mountain riding (minus jibbing, I've got an Airobic for that.)
Decent sidecut, I would like to be able to get tight, sharp, snappy turns.

I've narrowed it down to a few options. I can't really decide from here... Neversummer Heritage, Bataleon Riot, Bataleon Jam, or a Lib Dark Series. I love the durability of a neversummer, but they don't seem to "dampen" the ride at all. They also don't tend to be the most responsive things out there. TBT is great, but seems somewhat sketchy on ice/hard pack. Never been on a dark series. Loved the feel of a 2007 Danny kass that I rode several years ago, but it was a complete noodle.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I can't speak to the other boards, but I've been riding a dark series this season. It meets your requirements except the low swing weight. The dark like most mervys tend to be a little heavier. The dark charges (easily the fastest board I've been on), responsive edge to edge, stable, no chatter at speed, grips well and feels stable on landings. The little powder I found this season it seemed to float well, but it does have a narrow waist so probably not the best choice. The only downside I've found to this board besides price is that it becomes unstable at low speeds.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, it seems as if all of the boards that fit what I need have a high swing weight. How does the dark series handle on steeps? Does the magnetraction actually do anything? I still like my boards to have some form of camber as they seem more snappy. Does the Dark Series have that feeling here it snaps/launches you out of your turns?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Prior to the dark this season I've always ridden a cambered board. I deffinitely noticed a difference the first few runs this season, but quickly adapted. Where the trad camber would rebound you out of turns the org plates make up for the hybrid camber. In and out of turns is quick and I think the combination of c2b2 (camber between bindings rocker outside bindings) and the org plates work well together for fast responsive turns. Magnatraction is magnatraction, on the dark it is more aggressive than others with the lynn being the least obvious. That being said I rode a few days on an old board without it to start the season and missed it. I like it and find that will it hold the surface well it hasn't interfered with carving and I feel confident charging on sketch surfaces and chutes. Honestly I love the board it's exactly what I was looking for in a big mt charger. I'm still adapting to its skethciness at low speeds and the stiffness beating me up a little, but I would buy it again. I got an 11 instead of of 12 not much change. I also looked at the gnu ag, ns heritage, and t.rice. If I hadn't got a deal on the 11 the ag or heritage would have been my next choices.

Edit: the swing weight isn't to bad just more than a park or freestyle board. I've been really impressed that the base and topsheet so far. Both have held up well to the current conditions and the dicks trying to mout it in the lift line

Last edited by bseracka; 01-15-2012 at 07:07 PM.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The heritage is damp, that's what it's know for.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Heritage vs dark series? Has anyone ridden both?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't understand how your group EVERY never summer as not being responsive or damp? The Raptor, F1, Heritage ?

Which never summer did you ride?

And the dark series is not what you're looking for. You should be looking at the T.Rice, TRS, maybe even the la nina. Also check out the Ride Highlife and Ride Berzerker. I personally think the Berzerker is exactly what you're looking for.

Where do you usually ride?
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchMan View Post
I don't understand how your group EVERY never summer as not being responsive or damp? The Raptor, F1, Heritage ?

Which never summer did you ride?

And the dark series is not what you're looking for. You should be looking at the T.Rice, TRS, maybe even the la nina. Also check out the Ride Highlife and Ride Berzerker. I personally think the Berzerker is exactly what you're looking for.

Where do you usually ride?

I'm on a 2008/2009 SL, it just seems to have lost its "umph" over the years. I ride all over, but mainly on the ice coast.