What is a reasonable budget for a semi beginner? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question What is a reasonable budget for a semi beginner?

I'm looking to upgrade from a pretty crappy first board which was a gift and get something a little more serious.

I ride mostly in the poconos and eventually will moving back to new England. I'm starting to get my turns down pretty good and feel like this old rental board that I have will eventually start to hold me back some.

Im not looking to break the bank but don't want to be too cheap. What should I expect to shell out?

Also if you have any suggestions for what I should maybe look at please let me know. I'm about 5 10 and 165 lbs. Not planning to hit the terrain parks quite yet.

Thanks!
appage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Definitely hit the last years gear section of your local shop, or you can wait a little longer till the '12 gear is dated (end of the seasonish)

I'd say around ~$600

$200-$300 for a board

$150 for boots (try on as many as you can and find the most comfortable)

$200 for bindings

These are high estimates, max budget for a entry set-up.

Now what kind of riding do you do? Do you like to hit jumps and rails in the park? Do you like to freeride, through trees, down steeps, powder etc. Or do you like to charge down and bomb the runs at mach speeds? A little bit of everything?
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchMan View Post
Definitely hit the last years gear section of your local shop, or you can wait a little longer till the '12 gear is dated (end of the seasonish)

I'd say around ~$600

$200-$300 for a board

$150 for boots (try on as many as you can and find the most comfortable)

$200 for bindings

These are high estimates, max budget for a entry set-up.

Now what kind of riding do you do? Do you like to hit jumps and rails in the park? Do you like to freeride, through trees, down steeps, powder etc. Or do you like to charge down and bomb the runs at mach speeds? A little bit of everything?
I have boots and bindings so really just looking for a board. I would prefer to be on the $200 side of your range.

I like to freeride, I don't like to go too fast(thats usually when I end up on my ass ) but eventually I would like to be able to go a little quicker but I think I'm a little past the mach speed age. Not really looking to hit any rails but once I can stay on my feet I'd eventually like to hit a few jumps, not really park type jumps but the smaller ones you see throughout the regular trails.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by appage View Post
I have boots and bindings so really just looking for a board. I would prefer to be on the $200 side of your range.

I like to freeride, I don't like to go too fast(thats usually when I end up on my ass ) but eventually I would like to be able to go a little quicker but I think I'm a little past the mach speed age. Not really looking to hit any rails but once I can stay on my feet I'd eventually like to hit a few jumps, not really park type jumps but the smaller ones you see throughout the regular trails.
Flow Infinite Rocker Snowboard 2011 | evo outlet

156 Flow Infinite would probably work perfectly for you. It's only $180 after coupon right now which is a smoking deal for a sweet board.
eek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

One. Million. Dollars.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

White Board

i rode mine for the first time today it was surprisingly fun to ride.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek5 View Post
Flow Infinite Rocker Snowboard 2011 | evo outlet

156 Flow Infinite would probably work perfectly for you. It's only $180 after coupon right now which is a smoking deal for a sweet board.
That looks pretty sweet, does the coupon (what is that by the way) expire?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Evo rotates their coupons sometimes 20 or 25% off, sometimes a fixed dollar amount (like $50 off a $200 minimum purchase), etc. usually each one is good for a few days to a week maybe and then they change it up a little bit. the bargains are usually similar $$ amount but with the closeout gear once it's gone it's gone so if you see something you like you should probably move on it especially if they only have 1 or 2 in stock.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Evo rotates their coupons sometimes 20 or 25% off, sometimes a fixed dollar amount (like $50 off a $200 minimum purchase), etc. usually each one is good for a few days to a week maybe and then they change it up a little bit. the bargains are usually similar $$ amount but with the closeout gear once it's gone it's gone so if you see something you like you should probably move on it especially if they only have 1 or 2 in stock.
Ok thanks for the info. I liked the board that was posted earlier, sounded like a well balanced board. I wasn't really ready to spend that type of money at the moment but I'd hate to miss out on a good deal for something that sounded right up my alley.

Anyone have experience on the Flow Infinite Rocker?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by appage View Post
Ok thanks for the info. I liked the board that was posted earlier, sounded like a well balanced board. I wasn't really ready to spend that type of money at the moment but I'd hate to miss out on a good deal for something that sounded right up my alley.

Anyone have experience on the Flow Infinite Rocker?
Meh.

I'd do some more research honestly. It's not an incredibly amazing board...
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote