Board Tuning Question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board Tuning Question

I tried tuning my base/edges tonight and had a question. When I run my hand down the edge of the board after I finished sharpening, it felt like the center portion of the board was a lot sharper than when my hand started to reach the effective nose or tail area. Is this normal? I made sure that the file guide was flat against the board. Its like this on both sides.
dinomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
mjd

yep, if you're describing what i think you are. it's called detuning. in general terms a board "should" have the portion of rail edge from the contact point back two inches towards the center dulled. this makes it easier to release the board as you're coming out of your turn and makes harder to catch an edge- say when your spinning, buttering, etc. it's mostly for cambered boards but i've seen folks do it on rocker boards also. there is no hard and fast rule since it mostly depends on your riding style. some ppl who spend most of their time riding park/street features will detune the entire effective edge.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the response. I thought that only the nose and tail was detuned. I mainly freeride so need my edges sharp. From what I remember, my edge is slightly detuned(?) from the first contact point to about half way to the binding (longer than the 2 inches you mentioned). Is this still normal or should I keep sharpening?

One thing to mention, I haven't tuned my board in about 3-4 years but I didn't get a chance to ride the past 2 years. Could my edges just be that detuned? I used the marker method and kept filing until the ink was gone.
dinomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
mjd

well that would explain it. 3-4 years is a long time depending on how much you ride. bring it to your local shop and tell them what you need done. that's the best way to go about it. and then you can do routine tune-ups yourself whenever you need to.

i ride 50-75 days a year and may run the file across the side edge once or twice after i wax every other week or so. just enough to shave off a little fingernail. most of the time i take a wet stone to it and level out jagged areas where i hit rocks and what not.