Is it just me or is it the sticks fault? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it just me or is it the sticks fault?

Hi there!

Well basically, I've been an amateur snowboarder for quite some time now, last year I was riding Flow Era 158 and Flow Quattro-Se bindings, doing stuff on the box, doing basic stuff on the rails and also trying to spin. This year I've changed it up a little bit and now have a Bataleon Disaster stick, with Rome 390 Boss bindings. I loved just freeriding at first, buttering all around the mountain. Now I manage to do advanced grabs and spin pretty well. The problem I have encountered is that I can no longer do the basic stuff on the rail and do boardslides or nose/tail slides on the box because I'm always catching front edge... Am I just searching for a reason or am I doing something wrong?

Please be gentle,
Thank you.
dancerast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Detune your edge slightly. Your older board was probably worn down. Bataleon boards are really sharp when you first get them.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I need a name is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
 
Sudden_Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa, On
Posts: 760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerast View Post
Hi there!

Well basically, I've been an amateur snowboarder for quite some time now, last year I was riding Flow Era 158 and Flow Quattro-Se bindings, doing stuff on the box, doing basic stuff on the rails and also trying to spin. This year I've changed it up a little bit and now have a Bataleon Disaster stick, with Rome 390 Boss bindings. I loved just freeriding at first, buttering all around the mountain. Now I manage to do advanced grabs and spin pretty well. The problem I have encountered is that I can no longer do the basic stuff on the rail and do boardslides or nose/tail slides on the box because I'm always catching front edge... Am I just searching for a reason or am I doing something wrong?

Please be gentle,
Thank you.
Without seeing any video it is really hard to tell. Could be you just aren't used to the contact points on the new board leading you to keep catching.
Sudden_Death is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 7,505
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Its you, but cause you're used to the Era which has a rolled base between the bindings.

Detune a little between your feet and you should be better off, but you do need to learn proper pressure on jibs. Don't lean into it but more pressure should be on your trailing edge. Like 45/55.

Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
Nivek is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok since, I'm from the unknown part of Europe, what does detune exactly mean?

And it also seems that I suck at explaining the problem. I'm basically frustrated about the box tricks, for instance when I'm coming in at a box, pop a bit and try to do a board slide I land and
the board just stops sliding as if something is slowing me down... Any thoughts on that?
dancerast is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerast View Post
Ok since, I'm from the unknown part of Europe, what does detune exactly mean?

And it also seems that I suck at explaining the problem. I'm basically frustrated about the box tricks, for instance when I'm coming in at a box, pop a bit and try to do a board slide I land and
the board just stops sliding as if something is slowing me down... Any thoughts on that?
Detuning is making the edges less sharp. You can do it with a gummy stone or take it to a local shop and have them do it. It sounds like you are landing on edge and it's digging in. Detuning will help slightly, but it sounds like your main problem is that your not landing flat based.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I need a name is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
HoboMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerast View Post
Ok since, I'm from the unknown part of Europe, what does detune exactly mean?

And it also seems that I suck at explaining the problem. I'm basically frustrated about the box tricks, for instance when I'm coming in at a box, pop a bit and try to do a board slide I land and
the board just stops sliding as if something is slowing me down... Any thoughts on that?
Detuning involves using a tool to basically make your edges duller - so they catch less. As to the second question, sounds like you might not be getting enough speed before hitting the feature. Speed is a pretty big factor in doing boxes/rails.

PowderHound and TreeNinja
HoboMaster is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboMaster View Post
Detuning involves using a tool to basically make your edges duller - so they catch less. As to the second question, sounds like you might not be getting enough speed before hitting the feature. Speed is a pretty big factor in doing boxes/rails.

that's what I thought about detuning. will get right on that. Well, it doesn't matter at which speed I hit it with, with the Era it would just slide on through perfectly but with the Disaster I start to "brake" somehow...
dancerast is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 7,505
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Was this just one day or have youbeen having this happen multiple days on the Disaster? Could just be a sticky feature day.

Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
Nivek is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Was this just one day or have youbeen having this happen multiple days on the Disaster? Could just be a sticky feature day.
unfortunately it happened multiple times, but I'm beginning to think that the Era did not require any weight transfer depending on which side you are sliding and the Disaster being a much more flexible board requires more effort
dancerast is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome