Snowboard of jumping and park. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Snowboard of jumping and park.

I'm 5'7" 170lbs. I want a board for decent size jumps. I plan on going to the park with this board 80-90% of the time. I wouldnt mind being able to hit some rails and stuff, that would be nice too. I haven't done any boxes/rails or anything yet. What would be a good board to do this with? I'm looking for something fairly cheap. Like 230 and down.

I purchased this board in a 154cm but after looking online, I think it's too big for me? Rome Garage Rocker Snowboard 2011 | evo outlet

I was thinking about getting this board in a 150cm Rome Artifact Rocker Snowboard 2011 | evo outlet

Am I looking at the right kind of boards? Any suggestions would be nice. I like the price on these boards. I picked up the garage rocker for 225 with bindings, but I want what is going to be best for my application.

"If this matters" I currently ride a Burton Custom X 158cm"

Last edited by LooseChange; 01-17-2012 at 07:43 PM.
LooseChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseChange View Post
I'm 5'7" 170lbs. I want a board for decent size jumps. I plan on going to the park with this board 80-90% of the time. I wouldnt mind being able to hit some rails and stuff, that would be nice too. I haven't done any boxes/rails or anything yet. What would be a good board to do this with? I'm looking for something fairly cheap. Like 230 and down.

I purchased this board in a 154cm but after looking online, I think it's too big for me? Rome Garage Rocker Snowboard 2011 | evo outlet

I was thinking about getting this board in a 150cm Rome Artifact Rocker Snowboard 2011 | evo outlet

Am I looking at the right kind of boards? Any suggestions would be nice. I like the price on these boards. I picked up the garage rocker for 225 with bindings, but I want what is going to be best for my application.

"If this matters" I currently ride a Burton Custom X 158cm"
I don't think 154 is too big for you at 170 lbs (I'm 155 lbs and I currently ride a 154 for a park board), although you may end up preferring a shorter board - that is just preference, there is nothing that a 154 will prevent you from doing that you could do with a 150.

The Garage is Rome's affordable board (no frills but solid) and the Artifact is their softer jib board, which is also cheaper (since why put a lot of expensive tech into a board that is going to be smashed into rails).

I think the Garage 154 *update:corrected) is fine. I don't think the Artifact 150 is going to be what you are looking for (but I wouldn't be surprised some kid is going to reply to my post saying that they ride the Artifact 150 down triple black diamonds and 90 ft step-up jumps... or that some pro does it... ).

Last edited by lonerider; 01-17-2012 at 09:36 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
I don't think 154 is too big for you at 170 lbs (I'm 155 lbs and I currently ride a 154 for a park board), although you may end up preferring a shorter board - that is just preference, there is nothing that a 154 will prevent you from doing that you could do with a 150.

The Garage is Rome's affordable board (no frills but solid) and the Artifact is their softer jib board, which is also cheaper (since why put a lot of expensive tech into a board that is going to be smashed into rails).

I think the Garage 154 Wide is fine. I don't think the Artifact 150 is going to be what you are looking for (but I wouldn't be surprised some kid is going to reply to my post saying that they ride the Artifact 150 down triple black diamonds and 90 ft step-up jumps... or that some pro does it... ).

I don't know if this board is wide. So you think I should keep it then? This board is going to be good for hitting some nice jumps? What style of board do people prefer for jumps? I rode a 154 burton custom demo board and it felt amazing on jumps compared to my 158 custom x. Then again, maybe my bindings aren't far enough apart.
LooseChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseChange View Post
I don't know if this board is wide. So you think I should keep it then? This board is going to be good for hitting some nice jumps? What style of board do people prefer for jumps? I rode a 154 burton custom demo board and it felt amazing on jumps compared to my 158 custom x. Then again, maybe my bindings aren't far enough apart.
Oops... sorry, I was writing a board advice email to a friend of mine, who has size 15 boots, at the same time and mixed them up.

I personally prefer a medium stiffness board for jumps. Too soft and it will feel squirrel-ey (like it is chattering/jumping/wiggling under you) as you approach the jump and when you land (making it hard to ride out your landing). Too stiff and you will feel tense and unable to make subtle/gentle adjustments to your approach line (although if you are confidant in your line it will be much more stable on the landing).

Length-wise again I personally prefer an "average" length board, but what that is varies a LOT these days. Again, my opinion is that for 170 lbs and riding all park, short is 150-154cm, average is 155-158cm, long is 159-161cm (those are really arbitrary boundaries I just made up). I can say that anyone who says a shorter board is "soooo much easier to spin" is a poseur and probably has never known the touch of a woman... Personally, I wouldn't worry about board length for spins until you are doing 540s.

My opinion with length/stiffness is that long/very stiff boards are initially less forgiving of bad technique... but then again you get feedback on that you are doing something wrong. What I mean by this is that most riders learning to jump have a tendency to want to second-guess yourself right before the ramp and turn/speed check. Short, soft board are very forgiving... but at the same time let your "crap-style" a 180 or 360 claim you did it... however once you start getting to higher spins (540s and 720s) and bigger jumps (40 - 60 ft) you suddenly start a hitting wall because you technique is sloppy.

This is all my opinion on things (I am bit of an old school rider at 32)... I am by no means a freestyle expert, I can only do up to a 540 while the biggest jump I've done is a 70-80 footer... I rarely do anything bigger than 50 ft now a days. So feel free to ignore what I've said... be wary of ANYONE advice on the internet...

Last edited by lonerider; 01-17-2012 at 09:52 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote