Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Thinking About Giving Up On My T. Rice (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/45556-thinking-about-giving-up-my-t.html)

buddhafist24 01-18-2012 10:49 AM

Thinking About Giving Up On My T. Rice
 
Currently I have a 2011 Lib Tech T. Rice. I got this board just before I went on a trip to Jackson Hole last year and really like it, but I've been thinking I might be happier with a more playful board.

My riding style is mostly groomers but I want to get more involved in butters, rails, and boxes. I've been reading a lot of posts on the NS Evo and Proto, and I'm really confused what board to go with.

Will both of those boards be good on groomers and especially ice (most of my riding will be done in Michigan but hope to get out west once a year)? Or do I just break down and buy a jib specific board?


Information Overload! Please help!

HoboMaster 01-18-2012 10:58 AM

Neversummer's RC tech makes all of their boards (even the Evo, which is essentially their jib-board) handle ice and groomers with flying colors. Due to the increased flex on the Evo especially though, it will not handle chewed up terrain very well. I ride an 09/10 Evo which is stiffer then the current models, and it handles the whole mountain really well for still having a fairly significant flex.

If you want something that will kill groomers but still be fun to throw around, I'd probably go with the Proto.

On a side note, while NS's vario grip works pretty well, I think Lib Tech's magnetraction is a little more grippy on ice.

bseracka 01-18-2012 11:36 AM

Buy a jib board for a second board on the smaller local mts and keep the rice for traveling. Big mt, advanced runs and powder aren't fun on a jib board.

grafta 01-18-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bseracka (Post 468938)
Buy a jib board for a second board on the smaller local mts and keep the rice for traveling. Big mt, advanced runs and powder aren't fun on a jib board.

Just for the sake of argument, I ride my 09-10 Evo at Whistler/and in Powder. It fucken rocks :thumbsup:

I'm 175lbs and it's a 158.

Depends on what you want out of a board though.

That said, two board quiver if you can afford it :thumbsup:

bseracka 01-18-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grafta (Post 468947)
Just for the sake of argument, I ride my 09-10 Evo at Whistler/and in Powder. It fucken rocks :thumbsup:

I'm 175lbs and it's a 158.

Depends on what you want out of a board though.

That said, two board quiver if you can afford it :thumbsup:

Isn't a 158 at 175lbs big to be a true jib board?

HoboMaster 01-18-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grafta (Post 468947)
Just for the sake of argument, I ride my 09-10 Evo at Whistler/and in Powder. It fucken rocks :thumbsup:

I'm 175lbs and it's a 158.

Depends on what you want out of a board though.

That said, two board quiver if you can afford it :thumbsup:

Same :thumbsup:, I just add a 3/4 inch setback and slay the powder. The funny part is that I have a 151 at 145lbs, and it still rips.

Quote:

Isn't a 158 at 175lbs big to be a true jib board?
The Evo isn't really a "true jib board". In my opinion a noodle board is not worth owning unless all you do all day is hit boxes and rails - which it doesn't sound like the OP is doing.

grafta 01-18-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bseracka (Post 468948)
Isn't a 158 at 175lbs big to be a true jib board?

Probably, but whatever really... I don't hit rails or boxes, just jumps, side hits and natural jibs (at least i'm working my way up to 'successfully hitting natural jibs :laugh: )

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhafist24 (Post 468902)
My riding style is mostly groomers but I want to get more involved in butters, rails, and boxes. I've been reading a lot of posts on the NS Evo and Proto, and I'm really confused what board to go with.

Yeah the Evo isn't a noodle, and can be ridden anywhere... It butters super easy but I can't comment on rails and boxes, as I said I don't ride them.

To help out the OP, obviously the Evo leans more towards park, the proto more towards shredding the whole mountain including park... someone correct me if that's not totally accurate.

:)

BigmountainVMD 01-18-2012 12:19 PM

I have 2 boards... a NS Proto CTX and a Lib T. Rice HP... with your riding style, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Proto. It is lighter, easier to spin and more comfortable on jibs (although I only know from riding boxes). It can't rip as fast as the T. RIce, which you can get up to Mach 7 on... but the Proto is still a really fast board, great for groomers, medium jumps and jibbing. I would definitely go Proto...

Note: I'm 6'3", 180, size 11 boot; and I ride the 158 wide Proto and the 161.5 T. Rice HP... maxed out stances on both

My only regret: getting the wide Proto... the wideness makes it harder to get edge to edge.... I wish I went with the regular

buddhafist24 01-18-2012 01:30 PM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the feedback.

At 5'11", 195, size 10 boot, do you think I should go with a Proto 154 or 157?

I'm going to be in Snowmass in a couple weeks, so I'm hoping I might be able to find one to demo.

grafta 01-18-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhafist24 (Post 469009)
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the feedback.

At 5'11", 195, size 10 boot, do you think I should go with a Proto 154 or 157?

I'm going to be in Snowmass in a couple weeks, so I'm hoping I might be able to find one to demo.

I depends if you are gonna keep the T-Rice?

If you are gonna keep it and use proto mainly for park then go shorter. If you want something to 'replace' the T-Rice then go longer so you can bomb bigger stuff as well as park on it :thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2