Thinking About Giving Up On My T. Rice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinking About Giving Up On My T. Rice

Currently I have a 2011 Lib Tech T. Rice. I got this board just before I went on a trip to Jackson Hole last year and really like it, but I've been thinking I might be happier with a more playful board.

My riding style is mostly groomers but I want to get more involved in butters, rails, and boxes. I've been reading a lot of posts on the NS Evo and Proto, and I'm really confused what board to go with.

Will both of those boards be good on groomers and especially ice (most of my riding will be done in Michigan but hope to get out west once a year)? Or do I just break down and buy a jib specific board?

Information Overload! Please help!
buddhafist24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Neversummer's RC tech makes all of their boards (even the Evo, which is essentially their jib-board) handle ice and groomers with flying colors. Due to the increased flex on the Evo especially though, it will not handle chewed up terrain very well. I ride an 09/10 Evo which is stiffer then the current models, and it handles the whole mountain really well for still having a fairly significant flex.

If you want something that will kill groomers but still be fun to throw around, I'd probably go with the Proto.

On a side note, while NS's vario grip works pretty well, I think Lib Tech's magnetraction is a little more grippy on ice.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Buy a jib board for a second board on the smaller local mts and keep the rice for traveling. Big mt, advanced runs and powder aren't fun on a jib board.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
Buy a jib board for a second board on the smaller local mts and keep the rice for traveling. Big mt, advanced runs and powder aren't fun on a jib board.
Just for the sake of argument, I ride my 09-10 Evo at Whistler/and in Powder. It fucken rocks

I'm 175lbs and it's a 158.

Depends on what you want out of a board though.

That said, two board quiver if you can afford it
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafta View Post
Just for the sake of argument, I ride my 09-10 Evo at Whistler/and in Powder. It fucken rocks

Isn't a 158 at 175lbs big to be a true jib board?
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafta View Post

Same , I just add a 3/4 inch setback and slay the powder. The funny part is that I have a 151 at 145lbs, and it still rips.

Quote:
The Evo isn't really a "true jib board". In my opinion a noodle board is not worth owning unless all you do all day is hit boxes and rails - which it doesn't sound like the OP is doing.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
Probably, but whatever really... I don't hit rails or boxes, just jumps, side hits and natural jibs (at least i'm working my way up to 'successfully hitting natural jibs )

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhafist24 View Post
My riding style is mostly groomers but I want to get more involved in butters, rails, and boxes. I've been reading a lot of posts on the NS Evo and Proto, and I'm really confused what board to go with.
Yeah the Evo isn't a noodle, and can be ridden anywhere... It butters super easy but I can't comment on rails and boxes, as I said I don't ride them.

To help out the OP, obviously the Evo leans more towards park, the proto more towards shredding the whole mountain including park... someone correct me if that's not totally accurate.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I have 2 boards... a NS Proto CTX and a Lib T. Rice HP... with your riding style, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Proto. It is lighter, easier to spin and more comfortable on jibs (although I only know from riding boxes). It can't rip as fast as the T. RIce, which you can get up to Mach 7 on... but the Proto is still a really fast board, great for groomers, medium jumps and jibbing. I would definitely go Proto...

Note: I'm 6'3", 180, size 11 boot; and I ride the 158 wide Proto and the 161.5 T. Rice HP... maxed out stances on both

My only regret: getting the wide Proto... the wideness makes it harder to get edge to edge.... I wish I went with the regular

Last edited by BigmountainVMD; 01-18-2012 at 12:23 PM.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the feedback.

At 5'11", 195, size 10 boot, do you think I should go with a Proto 154 or 157?

I'm going to be in Snowmass in a couple weeks, so I'm hoping I might be able to find one to demo.
buddhafist24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhafist24 View Post
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the feedback.

At 5'11", 195, size 10 boot, do you think I should go with a Proto 154 or 157?

I'm going to be in Snowmass in a couple weeks, so I'm hoping I might be able to find one to demo.
I depends if you are gonna keep the T-Rice?

If you are gonna keep it and use proto mainly for park then go shorter. If you want something to 'replace' the T-Rice then go longer so you can bomb bigger stuff as well as park on it