Powder Board Suggestions! - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Budds View Post

K2 Gyrator

-This board looks like a lot of fun, but I'm skeptical of how well it's going to work for carving in powder. My current board is a reverse camber, and I am looking for something with a blend. I really like the 1" stance setback on this board.

Speaking from experience here.

If you are only going to ride one board and it doesn't dump every time you ride.
Then a Gyrator shouldn't be your first choice.

I've ridden it on non-pow days and it isn't very fun.

This board is a pure pow board.
I don't ride my Gyrator unless there is at least 6" of new snow.

However, if it does snow. This board is very lively, quick to turn, and does this awesome porpoise thing.
If you push the nose under it will pop back up and if you do it in succession into turns you can start hopping in and out of the pow a lot like a dolphin in the water.

In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikeswithdogs View Post
The Gyrator is considerably rated at the top of of PURE pow boards , probably not ideal for groomers but regardless a really really bad ass aboard.

The K2 TurboDream is the board they modeled their Panoramic backcountry Split board off of , it's like an "all mountain powder board" , I'm 5'11, weigh 185Lbs, ride the 157 wide and leave everyone behind on POW days except those that have dedicated powder boards. It has reverse camber up from and a very small amount in back.

I would also 2nd the pow snake especially at that price and trust me you WANT reverse camber or flat camber for a pow stick.
So I was way off on the k2 gyrator. I had it backwards. My only experience riding a pow board was a S-rocker mololo and fish. With my current board it's a GNU park pickle which is reverse camber. It floats alright in pow but it carves like shit. I figured reverse cambers weren't as good as a mixed rocker/camber board.

So you're saying I would want a reverse camber for pow? Not a mix? Like a S-camber or even a mixed camber(rocker in middle, cambered under both feet).
Bobby Budds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
Speaking from experience here.

If you are only going to ride one board and it doesn't dump every time you ride.
Then a Gyrator shouldn't be your first choice.

I've ridden it on non-pow days and it isn't very fun.

This board is a pure pow board.
I don't ride my Gyrator unless there is at least 6" of new snow.

However, if it does snow. This board is very lively, quick to turn, and does this awesome porpoise thing.
If you push the nose under it will pop back up and if you do it in succession into turns you can start hopping in and out of the pow a lot like a dolphin in the water.

Thanks for chiming in on your experience. I rode a fish and loved it so I would probably go with a fish or even a jones hovercraft if I was going with a strict powder board. I'm sure the Gyrator would match these boards. This whole dolphin pop sounds like a lot of fun. I wish I had better opportunities to ride some demos.
Bobby Budds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Skimmed the thread.

I've ridden the 1st Gen Burton Fish, Osin 4807, Prior Khyber, and recently the Never Summer Summit 160. I really like the Summit 160, it is surprisingly good on man-made snow groomers and hardpack here Lake Tahoe (i.e. I had a lot of fun carving it on groomer slopes). Edgehold on scrapped-hard man-made is decent, but not great (far better than the Burton Fish)... so if you planning on using the board to freeride when there is true ice... you might want something with more grip.

Board was really fun even in the "snowcone snow" made from people scrapping off the top snow (again this is man-made since until this week Tahoe was bone-dry) run and gathers in 3-4 inch deep piles on the edges of the trail and near bumps. The board has become my default freeride board at the moment (obviously it is good in powder).

BTW, I'm pretty sure Arbor Coda is directional. I scouted out the Sick Stick and Pow Snake and hope to try them in the future.

Last edited by lonerider; 01-19-2012 at 08:07 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I spent the last five days at mt baker in pow. I ride got a Charlie Slasher and rode it yesterday and today. Definetly recomend it. Fast, super float, and powers straight through the sketchy tracked out crap.

The most common boards i saw on the pow days were lib tech la Nina's/snow mullets, Jones flagship, ride slackcountry.

For my money the carlie Slasher seemed best and after riding it on fresh deep pow and tracked out crap and in trees and hauling ass on groomers; you get a ton of board for 400 bucks. The only faults I could find with it is that it doesn't hold the best carving edge ever but is still good and carves smoothly.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
I spent the last five days at mt baker in pow. I ride got a Charlie Slasher and rode it yesterday and today. Definetly recomend it. Fast, super float, and powers straight through the sketchy tracked out crap.

The most common boards i saw on the pow days were lib tech la Nina's/snow mullets, Jones flagship, ride slackcountry.

For my money the carlie Slasher seemed best and after riding it on fresh deep pow and tracked out crap and in trees and hauling ass on groomers; you get a ton of board for 400 bucks. The only faults I could find with it is that it doesn't hold the best carving edge ever but is still good and carves smoothly.
Did you see any Jones Hovercrafts? I picked up'd a new for $389, can't wait to ride it. The storm in Tahoe supposed to puke until Tuesday, who know how many feet we'll get?
RichnNorcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnNorcal View Post
Did you see any Jones Hovercrafts? I picked up'd a new for $389, can't wait to ride it. The storm in Tahoe supposed to puke until Tuesday, who know how many feet we'll get?
I'm definitely interested in finding out what you think about it. How the width feels to you... and of course, would it work as an everyday freeride board.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yea I saw a couple I almost bought one but I wanted a tail. Don't worry to much it is a great board the guys riding it were grinning ear to ear
Old 01-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
I'm definitely interested in finding out what you think about it. How the width feels to you... and of course, would it work as an everyday freeride board.

It looks wide for a 156, Hope I can carve toe side on this B*#ch. Least, I know JJ and I have the same boot size 7.5 and I did meet him once in Sac, when they used to show movies at the Memorial. We're about the same size. Wish I could ride like him! ha.. I did take some advice and moved my bindings closer to the toe edge and added some forward lean. We'll see how It goes. Looking at going up to AM on either Tues or Wed. Great to hear about the "grin from ear to ear"
RichnNorcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think what you need is a cambered allmountain board with rockered nose. It handles like a regular board but has extra float for the deep stuff. They are perfect for what you have said you want to do.
Boards in this category are:
Jones Flagship
Rossignol Experience
Ride Berzerker

Tapered boards like the burton malolo, barracuda, capita charlie slasher are hybrids but they are boards that I would rather have on a powder day than on a groomer day. All are fine in the backcountry (but I find the charlie slasher to be 1) too wide underfoot and 2)not a fan of the flat camber under the back foot).
Full-on powder boards like those mentioned already (fish, gyrator, etc) are not so well-performing on groomers. Especially the gyrator. Not recommended for all-conditions riding. The Hovercraft is similar to the fish but is quite stiff. This takes away some of the fun factor, but lets you get your carve on, and is more versatile for backcountry riding.

Another idea is the Burton Sherlock. It's a hybrid rocker (rocker with camber under the feet) with side effects tech on the nose and tail which provide extra float. It's basically a twin built for pow. I find it carves well and the other weekend in nipple deep pow it floated fine, with a centred stance. I think it will perform a bit better than your gnu, but I guess it's prob too close, unless you sized up. It rides short btw.
So anyways, flagship (check for defects first), Experience (awesome board, better than the flagship) or Berzerker are my recommendations.
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote