Powder Board Suggestions! - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to deposit my $.02...

I picked up a 2009 Gyrator and finally got the opportunity to ride it this past weekend. It was full of awesome sauce in the pow pow. We had 18" of new up here in Washington and this board was super fun to ride. I have to say that this board was much better on the groomers than I was expecting. I rode a Gnu Riders Choice for a couple years and currently have a Nitro Team Gullwing and Capita Ultrafear. I think riding on the reverse camber boards helped me understand how to ride the Gyrator. I actually felt pretty stable on it straightlining some groomed and choppy sections. Carving on it was also pretty good.

My point is that its relative to your experience. I can imagine that anyone coming from a regular cambered board would think its not stable at all. Maybe even someone coming from a hybrid camber board.

Here's my recommendation if you haven't already figured something out. You've already got the Park Pickle that you can use on not so deep days. Just because its a park board doesn't mean you can only ride it in the park. I think you should keep that board and also pick up a dedicated pow board. Its a pretty awesome experience to ride and float with little effort in the deep stuff.

-joel
jojotherider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #22 (permalink)

Hey guys,

I'm looking to replace my Slackcountry which died a bad death due to a rock a couple weeks ago.

I was looking at the Sick Stick, K2 Gyrator, and another Slack. I'm leaning toward not considering the Sick Stick as I've read some durability issues due to the bamboo construction not lasting very long (though the ride is supposedly incredible). Any comments on this would be helpful.

So looking at the K2 gyrator vs the Slack - they seem to be the same shape. I saw references to both having reverse camber, but the shape seems simple: Flat between the bindings and rocker at tips. Am I misunderstanding this? If this is correct, I'm guessing these ride very similar? While Slackcountry has the higher price, it seems the Gyrator has a pretty legendary following for pow heads.

One thing I noticed while riding my old Slack around - I believe the extreme rocker on both ends of the board makes it a bit squirly on groomers - my ass end had a tendency to slide out if I didn't concentrate on holding a line. I am guessing this is true of many pow boards.

And did K2 stop making the Gyrator? I don't see it listed on the website anymore.

Last edited by Wangta; 12-13-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Wangta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Gnu billy goat. magne for traction on ice and groomers. Damp and fast. narrow waist makes it super maneuverable and the c2 btx provides tons of float. This is what i ride and it will be my board for everything but pow when i get my pow stick.
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted_nose View Post
Gnu billy goat. magne for traction on ice and groomers. Damp and fast. narrow waist makes it super maneuverable and the c2 btx provides tons of float. This is what i ride and it will be my board for everything but pow when i get my pow stick.
you're recommending your billy goat when you yourself are getting another board as a pow board? that's inspiring!

Anyways, I'd say try a different board as it sounds the slack wasn't absolutely perfect for you. Maybe a board with just nose rocker would address your 'too-loose' tail?
Check out the Capita Charlie Slasher/Burton Barracuda or for a cambered pow board, the burton juice wagon or cheetah are options too.
Boards like the fish and hovercraft have little tail which some people don't like (like me!).
I'm surprised too that the gyrator is gone!
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #25 (permalink)

the sick stick is not just a powder board, josh dirksen took second in the baker banked slalom last year, it's super poppy and carves very very well, and is a great all mtn board for sure.
huckfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckfin View Post
the sick stick is not just a powder board, josh dirksen took second in the baker banked slalom last year, it's super poppy and carves very very well, and is a great all mtn board for sure.
Yeah I've heard great things. One concern with that board is durability. Unlike Josh, I don't get a new board everytime I ride! I need it to last.
Wangta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
One thing I noticed while riding my old Slack around - I believe the extreme rocker on both ends of the board makes it a bit squirly on groomers - my ass end had a tendency to slide out if I didn't concentrate on holding a line. I am guessing this is true of many pow boards.
While there's lots of variables I think you're right about having lots of reverse camber between your back foot and the tail making it washout. Like Supra, I'd recommend starting to look at something either flat or cambered in the back. Charlie, Barracuda, Family Tree boards, Hovercraft, etc. It's worth noting that even with the massive nose, the Hovercraft is only set 20mm back. Even the small tail should have plenty of contact with the snow.
t-bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Wangta;551580]Hey guys,

I'm looking to replace my Slackcountry which died a bad death due to a rock a couple weeks ago.

My Slack just snapped about a week ago.

Just curious if yours was an untimely death?

I don't think mine should have snapped, it broke under very little force.

I didn't hit a rock or anything, mine just snapped.

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
Yeah I've heard great things. One concern with that board is durability. Unlike Josh, I don't get a new board everytime I ride! I need it to last.
durability on the eco boards is always going to be an issue, but salomon has great customer service, my topsheet was cracking somewhat last season on a two year old sick stick, salomon replaced it with a brand new one. just saying.
huckfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #30 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
you're recommending your billy goat when you yourself are getting another board as a pow board? that's inspiring!

Anyways, I'd say try a different board as it sounds the slack wasn't absolutely perfect for you. Maybe a board with just nose rocker would address your 'too-loose' tail?
Check out the Capita Charlie Slasher/Burton Barracuda or for a cambered pow board, the burton juice wagon or cheetah are options too.
Boards like the fish and hovercraft have little tail which some people don't like (like me!).
I'm surprised too that the gyrator is gone!
It's a sick pow board, I'm just a board whore and need a swallow tail. If I was to keep it for pow there would be nothing wrong with it.
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote